Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    We will have to see if it works out, but it seems that OU & UT are counting on the new 12 team B12 wanting to start up as soon as possible, so the conference would in theory release the two schools from all or part of their financial commitment through 2025. Even if they reach a settlement with the B12, the two schools would end up ahead from the extra money they will make in the SEC. If the B12 releases them completely then they would be way ahead. It’s sneaky but potentially profitable.
    Why would the conference adding new teams result in OU and UT getting out of their financial obligations to the league whether it be a buyout or whatever it is? What incentive does the league have to forgive one penny of what it is owed by those two schools? I’d think they’d want to get everything they’re owed.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Why would the conference adding new teams result in OU and UT getting out of their financial obligations to the league whether it be a buyout or whatever it is? What incentive does the league have to forgive one penny of what it is owed by those two schools? I’d think they’d want to get everything they’re owed.
    two reasons:
    1) saving court fees when OU and UT inevitably sue for early exit, whether they would win or not...it ends up being beneficial for all parties to settle
    2) stringing it out as long as possible detracts from the product on the field
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    two reasons:
    1) saving court fees when OU and UT inevitably sue for early exit, whether they would win or not...it ends up being beneficial for all parties to settle
    Oh, it is definitely beneficial for all parties to settle...nobody pays the full exit fee anyway. The earlier posts were suggesting that Texas and Oklahoma would be able to walk away completely clean as part of the 4 new teams coming to the conference, that's what I disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is there anything stopping the Big 12 from adding the 4 new schools before the Texas schools leave? I suspect the Big 12 is unlikely to do anything that lets the Texas schools off scott-free.
    OU fans are NOT going to like you calling their school a Texas school- the Texas fans won’t either…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    OU fans are NOT going to like you calling their school a Texas school…
    Heck, Texas probably wouldn't be crazy about it either. I caught myself in my last post and was hoping I would get away with this one.

Heck, Texas probably wouldn't be crazy about it either. I caught myself in my last post and was hoping I would get away with this one.
    Lol, you responded before my edit and we agree

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    OU fans are NOT going to like you calling their school a Texas school- the Texas fans won’t either…
    You got that right, pardner. 🤠

Is there anything stopping the Big 12 from adding the 4 new schools before the Texas schools leave? I suspect the Big 12 is unlikely to do anything that lets the Texas schools off scott-free.
    *Edit: Sorry, I should’ve read further before replying.

*Original Post: Let’s please remember to call them UT & OU, not the “Texas schools.” Many schools play D1 sports in Texas. Assuming the current rumors are true, some are not impacted (UTEP, UNT, UTSA, Rice, ACU) or have impacts TBD (A&M); Houston is the only one that clearly benefits, apart from UT itself; and TCU, Tech, Baylor, and SMU are definitely harmed.
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 09-05-2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Later posts said essentially the same thing

Oh, it is definitely beneficial for all parties to settle...nobody pays the full exit fee anyway. The earlier posts were suggesting that Texas and Oklahoma would be able to walk away completely clean as part of the 4 new teams coming to the conference, that's what I disagree with.
    Regarding exit fee, sometimes they pay more (UConn leaving the AAC early). Attorneys have gotten before at drafting airtight clauses. If UT and OU leave early, it’ll be by paying more not less (and the SEC $ will enable this).

two reasons:
    As to #1, what exactly would OU and UT being suing for, legally speaking? What unlawful action would they be alleging that the Big 12 committed against them? I don't know that they'd be able to come up with one, because all they really could say is "we got a better offer somewhere else so we want to break this contract." Their lawsuit would likely get tossed out of court in the early stages, because there is nothing to allege that the defendant did to them. So I think the legal fees would be relatively modest.

As to #2, I'm not sure I see the connection between the legal proceedings and what goes on between the lines. Maybe you could explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    As to #1, what exactly would OU and UT being suing for, legally speaking? What unlawful action would they be alleging that the Big 12 committed against them? I don't know that they'd be able to come up with one, because all they really could say is "we got a better offer somewhere else so we want to break this contract." Their lawsuit would likely get tossed out of court in the early stages, because there is nothing to allege that the defendant did to them. So I think the legal fees would be relatively modest.

As to #2, I'm not sure I see the connection between the legal proceedings and what goes on between the lines. Maybe you could explain that.
    Me thinks you under estimate lawyers abilities to come up with ridiculous arguments, and how modest their fees are.

Litigating someone into getting a settlement, whether one has a good case or not is a tried and true tradition in this country.

Me thinks you under estimate lawyers abilities to come up with ridiculous arguments, and how modest their fees are.

Litigating someone into getting a settlement, whether one has a good case or not is a tried and true tradition in this country.
    I'm not sure what the relative financial positions of the schools vs. the league are, but the ability to litigate someone into a settlement is much enhanced when one has a significantly larger war chest. Maybe the schools would have that advantage, but I don't know that to be the case.

And me thinks you underestimate judges' abilities to see bogus cases and ridiculous arguments for what they are, and toss them early so they can concentrate their efforts on cases in which there is an actual legal controversy.

No Texas, OU Exti Fees?

If Texas and Oklahoma stick around until 2025, they may not owe the Big 12 a dime:
    "The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025," a joint statement by the two universities read. "Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conference’s current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."
    This was a July report before the two were invited to join the SEC. I wonder if the only payments would be for early exit. I think this is still TBD. I am sure that Texas and OU would like to move sooner (no pun) than later, given the bad feelings, but we'll see what happens. Football schedules are often set in concrete, so there would have to be some flexibility on all parts.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Right, this would all only be relevant if Texas and Oklahoma wanted to leave before 2025 (and I'm pretty sure they do).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The AAC is making the most of the Big 12 taking Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston by adding 6 other teams, thus becoming a 14 team conference.

The league will be examining expansion and is expecting applications from six schools this week: Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB, sources told Yahoo Sports.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."