Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Notre Dame is a must. The Big 10 will be coming after them hard and heavy. The ACC needs to suck it up, swallow it's pride and do what it takes to bring Notre Dame in as a full member.

Out of the others, West Virginia might not meet up to all of the ACC academic standards, but they are the best fit.

Two others the ACC should consider are U South Carolina. Maybe the bad blood between the 7 members they left high and dry has simmered. ACC members do play SC in most sports now. ( Where as the bad blood with Maryland is still very real ) .
    The other to consider might be Kentucky.

Teams like Kansas, Baylor , Nebraska ( big 12 falling apart if Texas and Oklahoma leave ) I don't think will be considered due to geography. Yes, I know there is no geography any more, but if you're going to throw out geography then don't pick Baylor and Kansas to go after, go west to California lol.
    The ACC has to go to 16 members because all the cool kids like the SEC are going to 16 members?

There's no reason to add additional members unless that increases the ACC's payout per school. I don't think there's anybody out there that could or would join the ACC that would help. Also, remember the distant history. Duke was originally a member of the Southern Conference but that conference grew to include too many colleges and became unwieldly so Duke became a founding member of the much smaller ACC. The ACC seems to have good internal cohesion. We shouldn't grow unless the growth is a clear step forward.

Two others the ACC should consider are U South Carolina. Maybe the bad blood between the 7 members they left high and dry has simmered. ACC members do play SC in most sports now. ( Where as the bad blood with Maryland is still very real ) .
    The other to consider might be Kentucky.
    We do not have mandatory drug testing on the DBR boards, but folks who say the ACC should look to poach teams from the SEC make me wonder if that policy should be changed.

The ACC ain't getting teams from the SEC (or the Big Ten). The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ make that kind of move impossible. We just need to hope and pray that we don't get left high and dry in all of this. Duke is a basketball school with a negligible football program. That makes us quite vulnerable.

There are very reasonable scenarios here where Kansas... KANSAS... gets stuck playing in the Mountain West, AAC, or Conf USA.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The ACC has to go to 16 members because all the cool kids like the SEC are going to 16 members?

There's no reason to add additional members unless that increases the ACC's payout per school. I don't think there's anybody out there that could or would join the ACC that would help. Also, remember the distant history. Duke was originally a member of the Southern Conference but that conference grew to include too many colleges and became unwieldly so Duke became a founding member of the much smaller ACC. The ACC seems to have good internal cohesion. We shouldn't grow unless the growth is a clear step forward.
    I agree. I don't think we should change just because everyone else is changing. First, as you mentioned, is doing the basic math - will the additional school bring enough more money to offset having the divide the pie more ways? At some point adding more somewhat random schools will also dilute the product - a lot of us "get off my lawn" types (and I am only in my 40s) are not as enthusiastic about things now that the league is bigger, and there was at least some fit with some of the newer teams that joined in the last round than there is with the additional names being thrown around.

Finally, someone needs to evaluate the landscape of television networks, streaming, the bowl system and how they are all going to interconnect. All of these factors could make a bigger mega-conference less desirable. Or I could be wrong and they might make it more desirable, but that is not my sense of things.

I am really tired of football and television contracts being the driving force behind everything, but that unfortunately seems to be how things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We do not have mandatory drug testing on the DBR boards, but folks who say the ACC should look to poach teams from the SEC make me wonder if that policy should be changed..
    To piggyback on this - South Carolina left the ACC 50 years ago. It’s not a matter of hard feelings, most if not all of the people involved are long gone. It’s about $. SC isn’t leaving the SEC; they’re just not.

Heck I’d love to have them back. I’d welcome Maryland back. But it ain’t happening.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Ummm, Notre Dame would most assuredly increase the payouts per school, perhaps significantly.

I suspect that someone in decent sized media market -- like Cincy (#37) or Memphis (#51) -- would also bring in good TV dollars. If we toss geography out the window, Houston (#8) could be a real money-maker.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We do not have mandatory drug testing on the DBR boards, but folks who say the ACC should look to poach teams from the SEC make me wonder if that policy should be changed.

The ACC ain't getting teams from the SEC (or the Big Ten). The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ make that kind of move impossible. We just need to hope and pray that we don't get left high and dry in all of this. Duke is a basketball school with a negligible football program. That makes us quite vulnerable.

There are very reasonable scenarios here where Kansas... KANSAS... gets stuck playing in the Mountain West, AAC, or Conf USA.
    I don't think so. I mean I definitely agree it is in the realm of possibility, which is crazy, but Kansas could find the money to improve their football program and stay in a major conference if necessary and I expect they would do so. I don't think the same is necessarily true for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think so. I mean I definitely agree it is in the realm of possibility, which is crazy, but Kansas could find the money to improve their football program and stay in a major conference if necessary and I expect they would do so. I don't think the same is necessarily true for Duke.
    where? There are more than 4x16 schools that want to play big time football.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Don't expect ND to come running, they still have plenty of cash waiting for them as independents.

The Longhorns also were expected to explore independence, as Notre Dame is expected to cash in on its next television deal thanks to the sweetener that streaming offers. Remember, a streaming outlet purchasing and staging seven or eight football games a year is much easier than ponying up hundreds of millions annually for a league package. Even with Texas’ pedestrian results on the field for a majority of the past decade, there’d be enough value in independence.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-how-m...013928681.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    where? There are more than 4x16 schools that want to play big time football.
    Just off the top of my head, I would expect Duke, Wake, and Vandy to be left out in the cold before Kansas. Probably schools like Rutgers, WVU, maybe even UVA (depends on to what extent a conference believes that UVA will deliver the DC market I would think). If I spent time thinking about it I could probably come up with a longer list. Kansas is not at the bottom of the list, and I don't think they're all that close.

This was my first thought. Kansas has by far the most to lose here.

Would the ACC dip into the New York City market and add St. John's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Would the ACC dip into the New York City market and add St. John's ?
    They have no football so aren't relevant. Syracuse has been pushing itself hard as New York's team to achieve that goal, and I think Rutgers tries to do same thing. Not clear if either is particularly successful.

NYC and NY in general is a pro-sport area, not college. Syracuse is as big a college draw as they can muster, and it’s a long way from Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I’d welcome Maryland back.
    Really? No thanks. I'd actually rather see Duke drop football and join a basketball only conference...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

The only other major conference to have lost a school is the ACC with the departure of Maryland. (No comment.)
    The ACC also lost South Carolina in 1971. The SEC lost Georgia Tech in 1964 and Tulane in 1966. The Big Ten lost the University of Chicago in 1946.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just off the top of my head, I would expect Duke, Wake, and Vandy to be left out in the cold before Kansas. Probably schools like Rutgers, WVU, maybe even UVA (depends on to what extent a conference believes that UVA will deliver the DC market I would think). If I spent time thinking about it I could probably come up with a longer list. Kansas is not at the bottom of the list, and I don't think they're all that close.
    the ACC is not going to kick out current members to appease kansas, would the B12 fall apart. If the ACC fell apart, sure.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Really? No thanks. I'd actually rather see Duke drop football and join a basketball only conference...
    Lots of tradition there though. I get why they got on peoples’ nerves in the 2000s (mostly why the MD fans were annoying), but that’s a blip in a long history. Lefty, Bias, the 70’s teams - lots of good MD memories.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I have believed that to be inevitable for a decade or more. So far been wrong, but NIL may drive us in that direction and I’m ok with it.

Should Texas and OK bolt from the B12, which many are saying is inevitable at this point, then the B12 is gonna be on life support and would be in prime position to get raided. I am sure it would try to recover by grabbing schools like Houston, Cincinnati, or Central Florida, it sure feels like the more likely outcome would be other B12 schools going to other conferences. This will set off another round of conference movement.

So, what does it do to the ACC? I'm sure Jim Phillips is working the phones trying to figure out how to make this help our league. I suspect that once the SEC goes to 16, other conferences will try to do the same. Phillips has already talked about wanting Notre Dame to join the conference. I think last season's football experiment with the Irish probably made that a bit more of a possibility. In addition to Notre Dame, I think Cincy would be a great addition -- strong in both football and hoops and a new, robust TV market. West Virginia, from the flailing B12, could be another good possibility, though they don't do much for our football footprint. I suppose I could see us looking into Houston, but they would be a pretty big leap outside of our regular conference footprint so I think that would be really unlikely. Tulane would seem like a good fit from a geographic and academic standpoint, but they would really need to upgrade their programs. I think Memphis could be an intriguing addition too.

So, -- with TV dollars being my primary driving factor -- my wish list would be (in order):
    Notre Dame
    Cincy
    West Virginia
    Memphis
    Tulane
    Central Florida

-Jason "if we don't care about the whole geographic thing, then Houston really jumps up that list... but I don't see the ACC reaching all the way into Texas" Evans
    Texas and Oklahoma moving together makes a lot of sense. Pac12 and ACC seem to be the most obvious places for expanding the school's tv base as well as expanding the league's footprint.

The SEC makes no sense for Texas and Oklahoma as neither would be perennial top 3 teams in the SEC. The path is more clear in the ACC and Pac10.

We have been sliding towards four major 16 team conferences for a while with 3 schools getting downgraded. I hope the ACC grabs some major new schools first, so we dont get caught in the shuffle and get stuck with West Virginia!

Out of the others, West Virginia might not meet up to all of the ACC academic standards, but they are the best fit.
    WVU is not really all that different from Louisville really...Right now, Louisville is the outlier on academics compared to the rest of the conference (all others being top 100 schools in the country), so seems like the ACC doesn't care as long as there's an athletic fit...

Having said that, I have bad WVU PTSD after attending the NCAA tournament game in 2008. I did really like the Xavier fans in the game beforehand but the "let's go Mountaineers" from the WVU faithful wore on me...