Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    ^ not sure I buy your leap of faith that Texas will have top five recruiting classes every year. Maybe they will, but it's hardly a given...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ not sure I buy your leap of faith that Texas will have top five recruiting classes every year. Maybe they will, but it's hardly a given...
    I’m sorry, budwom, but I can’t. 🤐

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Apparently you didn’t read the part where I said since 2009, when Texas was only a devastating first-quarter injury to Colt McCoy’s shoulder from winning another national championship, it was simply the last few years of the dying Mack Brown regime, then they picked a poor coach (for five long years) in Charlie Strong, and then Tom Herman did pretty well, but not great. Prior to that Texas had been in the elite level or close to it for much, but admittedly not all, of the past 50 years.

Now that Texas is going to be in the SEC they will once again dominate recruiting in the state of Texas, especially since A&M won’t be able to say they (A&M) are the only Texas team in the SEC.

Unless Steve Sarkisian turns out to be a terrible coach — and I find that highly doubtful considering he was recently under the tutelage of the best coach in football, Nick Saban, and he (Sark) brought Alabama’s offense to heights it had never before achieved — Texas will be back among the elite.

Texas is going to have top-five recruiting classes every year. They have everything in place to win. Why wouldn’t they be able to win? What’s your reasoning? Im confident it’s only a matter of time.

And now I’m going to try to stop commenting on this subject for a couple of days because I don’t want to draw the wrath of Bob Green. Please people, stop goading me on this Texas Longhorns stuff! 😉
    Thanks, I read your whole post. And this new bit, which is one paragraph of shoulda, woulda, coulda and three paragraphs of predictions of future glory. We will see. But the truest thing in this whole thread was that MSN article noting that the SEC is adding one powerhouse program, and is also adding Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Thanks, I read your whole post. And this new bit, which is one paragraph of shoulda, woulda, coulda and three paragraphs of predictions of future glory. We will see. But the truest thing in this whole thread was that MSN article noting that the SEC is adding one powerhouse program, and is also adding Texas.
    Whatever. 🙄

Meh. In football, Texas is Georgia. Georgia is Texas. I am a Texas fan and ultimately accept that when it comes to success on field, Texas and Georgia rate similarly both in results and lack of self-awareness. Not a perfect comparison, but reasonable. So is Georgia a powerhouse? I don’t know. It’s like when I tell A&M fans their football program is a less successful version of Michigan St. Right down to the biggest rival who has a bigger rival. They hate it. But it’s true.

The SEC *is* adding this to the extent it matters at all: https://thedirectorscup.com/2021/07/the-university-of-texas-takes-home-the-crown/

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    The SEC *is* adding this to the extent it matters at all: https://thedirectorscup.com/2021/07/the-university-of-texas-takes-home-the-crown/
    Well, it matters to me. This overall sports championship victory by the University of Texas marks only the second time in the 28-year history of the year-long event that a school other than Stanford has won.

Now if we could just get football back to an elite level…..but that’s a conversation for another day. Only time will tell.

Just finished watching Team USA beat Spain in basketball. I can now go to sleep happy. Now it’s on to the semi-finals. 🇺🇸

Football accounting is difficult
    https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8...hletic-budgets
    It’s not clear the sports arms race brings in much cash to the overall university. Big time sports programs are expensive.

At least compared to donation: obviously, Duke’s wealthier than most schools, but in fiscal 2019, private donations totaled $519 million. With an endowment of, what, $9b, plus about 1/3 of the proceeds of the Duke endowment, anything that the sports crowd brings in is peanuts.

Not only are fewer kids playing football, fewer fans want to physically attend games, even at the big name schools. https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/1...e-decline-ncaa. Covid has, of course, made it worse, as will the continued undercutting of the fan base by assuming Oklahoma State and WVU (or Duke and Louisville) are going to become genuine rivals.

Three groups genuinely benefit from major college sports: the players, who get the scholarships and/or a path to admission, the college administrators/coaches who get paid dramatically high salaries, and the media folks. Since decisions about conferences, etc, seem to be left to the coaches/administrators and the media, it’s not surprising they choose to increase the short-term cash flow since they seem to receive a percentage of the gross, not a percentage of the net.

By the way, MIT has 33 varsity sports, and 25% of their students play on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Football accounting is difficult
    https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8...hletic-budgets
    It’s not clear the sports arms race brings in much cash to the overall university. Big time sports programs are expensive.

At least compared to donation: obviously, Duke’s wealthier than most schools, but in fiscal 2019, private donations totaled $519 million. With an endowment of, what, $9b, plus about 1/3 of the proceeds of the Duke endowment, anything that the sports crowd brings in is peanuts.

Not only are fewer kids playing football, fewer fans want to physically attend games, even at the big name schools. https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/1...e-decline-ncaa. Covid has, of course, made it worse, as will the continued undercutting of the fan base by assuming Oklahoma State and WVU (or Duke and Louisville) are going to become genuine rivals.

Three groups genuinely benefit from major college sports: the players, who get the scholarships and/or a path to admission, the college administrators/coaches who get paid dramatically high salaries, and the media folks. Since decisions about conferences, etc, seem to be left to the coaches/administrators and the media, it’s not surprising they choose to increase the short-term cash flow since they seem to receive a percentage of the gross, not a percentage of the net.

By the way, MIT has 33 varsity sports, and 25% of their students play on one of them.
    yep...one of the best benefits of having futbol are the scholarships afforded to the so-called Olympic sports women's teams via Title IX...it's something of a bank shot, but without those 85 scholarships to men, we likely wouldn't see a lot of those women's sports at Duke.

yep...one of the best benefits of having futbol are the scholarships afforded to the so-called Olympic sports women's teams via Title IX...it's something of a bank shot, but without those 85 scholarships to men, we likely wouldn't see a lot of those women's sports at Duke.
    A friend of a friend’s daughter received a full ride to Clemson on a rowing scholarship. She was a HS volleyball player who had never done any rowing in her life and was not good enough for a volleyball scholarship. This particular girl would have attended without a scholarship. I’m happy for anyone who receives a scholarship for any reason but I don’t think this is a very efficient way to distribute scholarships.

It is being reported by various sources that the BIG-12 and PAC-10 have started to have discussions about a possible merger.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Meh. In football, Texas is Georgia. Georgia is Texas. I am a Texas fan and ultimately accept that when it comes to success on field, Texas and Georgia rate similarly both in results and lack of self-awareness. Not a perfect comparison, but reasonable. So is Georgia a powerhouse? I don’t know. It’s like when I tell A&M fans their football program is a less successful version of Michigan St. Right down to the biggest rival who has a bigger rival. They hate it. But it’s true.

The SEC *is* adding this to the extent it matters at all: https://thedirectorscup.com/2021/07/...ome-the-crown/
    Georgia is not an entirely unreasonable comparison, but it's pretty unreasonable, especially based on the last decade (frankly, close to all that matters in our youth-oriented, what-have-you-done-lately culture). The year Texas beat Georgia marked an extreme outlier and high point for Texas (finished #9), while Georgia has had multiple better years in the last decade, including a national championship game appearance, while Texas has been losing 4+ games per year. So yes, Georgia >> Texas. And also, if Alabama and Georgia together joined the BIG, then the headlines should absolutely say that the BIG was adding one powerhouse ... and also Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    It is being reported by various sources that the BIG-12 and PAC-10 have started to have discussions about a possible merger.
    Hey, it's the PAC 12! I must say, I always like the georgraphic neatness of the PAC 8 then PAC 10...two teams in SoCal, two in NoCal, two in Washington, two in Oregon, then two in Arizona. Colorado and Utah kind of messed up the neatness of it all.

Hey, it's the PAC 12! I must say, I always like the georgraphic neatness of the PAC 8 then PAC 10...two teams in SoCal, two in NoCal, two in Washington, two in Oregon, then two in Arizona. Colorado and Utah kind of messed up the neatness of it all.
    Had an interesting history, The old Pacific Coach Conference included the eight obvious members plus the University of Idaho (the Vandals!) and for a time, Montana.

That fell apart and was replaced by the AAWU (Athletic Assoc. of Western Universities) in 1959 -- UW plus the four CA schools. When Wasu, Oregon and Oregon state joined up, it became the PAC-8. Then the PAC-10 with Zona and ASU and the PAC-12 more recently with the addition of the Buffs and the Utes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It made the basketball travel very easy and logical - Thursday/Saturday in one of the pairs. Kind of like the Ivy League (Friday/Saturday). But who cares about basketball - football rules everything!

Why they don't just make one huge conference, though I'm not quite sure what any of this accomplishes. Like others, I am rapidly losing interest and praying that they don't totally screw up basketball when all of the plans are being made around TV and football.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Why they don't just make one huge conference, though I'm not quite sure what any of this accomplishes.
    They could form some sort of National Collegiate Athletic Association. Interesting...

Georgia is not an entirely unreasonable comparison, but it's pretty unreasonable, especially based on the last decade (frankly, close to all that matters in our youth-oriented, what-have-you-done-lately culture). The year Texas beat Georgia marked an extreme outlier and high point for Texas (finished #9), while Georgia has had multiple better years in the last decade, including a national championship game appearance, while Texas has been losing 4+ games per year. So yes, Georgia >> Texas. And also, if Alabama and Georgia together joined the BIG, then the headlines should absolutely say that the BIG was adding one powerhouse ... and also Georgia.
    Texas has not been in the SEC before; they’ve never had that type of recruiting advantage. A&M has been enjoying said advantage for the past nine seasons (since they left the Big 12) by siphoning off recruits that previously would have gone to Texas. The SEC just has such a strong allure for high school football players.

There is a clear connection between A&M leaving the Big 12 and the relative decline of Longhorns football. Let’s give it a few years and see the way Texas is trending now that they’ll be in the SEC. The sun is shining and the future is bright in Austin, TX. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Texas has not been in the SEC before; they’ve never had that type of recruiting advantage. A&M has been enjoying said advantage for the past nine seasons (since they left the Big 12) by siphoning off recruits that previously would have gone to Texas. The SEC just has such a strong allure for high school football players.

There is a clear connection between A&M leaving the Big 12 and the relative decline of Longhorns football. Let’s give it a few years and see the way Texas is trending now that they’ll be in the SEC. The sun is shining and the future is bright in Austin, TX. 😎
    I thought the Texas recruiting advantage was being Texas.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought the Texas recruiting advantage was being Texas.
    But now they're even more Texas!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    But now they're even more Texas!
    That's a Texas-sized Texas to you, Pardner.

You guys are cracking me up. 😂