Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ummm, I'm pretty sure I always know what I'd be thinking.
    And you could have left your "Team X" change from "Vandy" as the Vandy that I wrote. It was pretty specific to the discussion.

Playing a team of 'Bama's caliber IS exciting. Once in a blue moon. But I'm very happy they (and Clemson) are not on our schedule every year.
    That’s pretty cool that you always know what you will think about a particular issue before it happens. I guess.

Personally, I like the sound of “Team X”. It’s kind of like Washington Football Team.

And yes, playing against the great programs is more exciting and compelling. And it shows you where you stand. Nothing wrong with an honest evaluation of where you are as a program. It helps bring things into focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    That’s pretty cool that you always know what you will think about a particular issue before it happens. I guess.

Personally, I like the sound of “Team X”. It’s kind of like Washington Football Team.

And yes, playing against the great programs is more exciting and compelling. And it shows you where you stand. Nothing wrong with an honest evaluation of where you are as a program. It helps bring things into focus.
    When you're losing to Pittsburgh and Virginia every year I'm not sure you need to play Alabama to show you where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    When you're losing to Pittsburgh and Virginia every year I'm not sure you need to play Alabama to show you where you stand.
    Okay, sure, but if I’m going to lose anyway I’d rather lose to Alabama and LSU and Georgia and at least be able to watch some great teams with a bunch of athletes who are going to be playing on Sundays.

But I understand that we don’t all agree on this.

How do you know what you would be thinking?
    That's rich. But you seem to know what everyone else should be thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    That's rich. But you seem to know what everyone else should be thinking.
    First of all that’s a rude and aggressive comment. I’m surprised and disappointed, frankly.

Second; I’m primarily going by comments I’ve heard made by friends, family, acquaintances, and fans on the radio, internet, magazines, newspapers, etc. So no, it’s not me knowing what everyone else should be thinking.

Third, I’m simply giving my opinions about how I see SEC football vs other conferences.

First of all that’s a rude and aggressive comment. I’m surprised and disappointed, frankly.

Second; I’m primarily going by comments I’ve heard made by friends, family, acquaintances, and fans on the radio, internet, magazines, newspapers, etc. So no, it’s not me knowing what everyone else should be thinking.

Third, I’m simply giving my opinions about how I see SEC football vs other conferences.
    Sorry. I'm done.

Has anyone heard rumor of the landing spot for Oklahoma State when the Big 12 fully implodes? PAC-12, maybe?

Oklahoma abruptly leaving their little brother was surprising and does seem to put State in an unenviable position. It was similar, though not exactly the same, as when Texas A&M left big brother Texas. I was stunned when it happened; that one took a good while to fully sink in.

It was nice to see the SEC vote unanimously, 14-0, to welcome Texas and Oklahoma to the party. I guess A&M decided not to be the lone protest vote. They say Texas and OU will officially join the SEC in 2025, but I’m betting (based on what I’ve heard) it happens by next season. I certainly hope that turns out to be the case.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You are turning into this guy.

Troll.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Kirk Herbstreit on the latest conference realignment.

https://www.al.com/sec/2021/07/conce...tradition.html

“I just hate losing the tradition of this sport,” he said. “I’ve always been, I guess naive to it. I’ve always tried to be the guy that’s like, ‘No, we’re gonna hold on to our traditions. People care about those traditions. They care about the rivalries.’

“Clearly, the decision-makers don’t. And we’re now in an arms race and it’s about the money.”

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

“I just hate losing the tradition of this sport,” he said. “I’ve always been, I guess naive to it. I’ve always tried to be the guy that’s like, ‘No, we’re gonna hold on to our traditions. People care about those traditions. They care about the rivalries.’

“Clearly, the decision-makers don’t. And we’re now in an arms race and it’s about the money.”
    Kirk is late to the game here. Tradition went out back with "student athlete" about 20-25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kirk is late to the game here. Tradition went out back with "student athlete" about 20-25 years ago.
    I almost added to my post that it has been about the $$$$ for a long time.

Back in my day, by virtue of being in the center of the conference and the ACC being more compact than most if not all other major conferences, you could pretty easily road trip to any conference game in any sport. Good times.

I have lost interest in almost all sports at any level. But I'm also sure they don't miss my two eyeballs.

Now get off my lawn!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

I bet there are more than a few (wrongly) arguing that they are maintaining/restoring traditions.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I bet there are more than a few (wrongly) arguing that they are maintaining/restoring traditions.
    Reuniting Oklahoma and Arkansas?

You are turning into this guy.

Troll.jpg
    All I wanna do is have some fun. I’ve got a feeling I’m not the only one. 😎

I would argue that tradition is strong. There is a long standing tradition that Money Talks.

This is bad timing for us. Cut sure picked a helluva time to run the football team back into the ground. Hopefully the ACC holds together a bit longer for the next coach to orchestrate a turnaround back to respectability.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    This is bad timing for us. Cut sure picked a helluva time to run the football team back into the ground. Hopefully the ACC holds together a bit longer for the next coach to orchestrate a turnaround back to respectability.
    Hey brah, tell us how you really feel. 😱

Not necessarily saying you’re wrong to feel that way…..but damn.

This is silly stuff. Since Darrell Royal became the head coach of Texas in 1957 the Longhorns have 43 Top 25 finishes, 25 Top 10 finishes, 20 Top 5 finishes, and 3 National Championships along with several other seasons where they came very close to winning NCs.

Texas has just been in a bit of a lull with the dying gasps of Mack Brown’s tenure, the Charlie Strong semi-disaster, and then the short but reasonably successful tenure of Tom Herman. But now that Texas will be in the SEC they will compete toe-to-toe with anyone and everyone for the top recruits in Texas and the nation, including Alabama, Georgia, LSU, et al.

Texas has the tradition, the cool uniforms and logo, the gigantic fan base, the national recognition, the 9th largest stadium in the world, the coolest city in the US, the best high school football in the country, and the greatest financial resources of any program in the nation.

Mock the Longhorns at your peril. It’s only a matter of time before they’re routinely back in the Top 10.
    Pfft. This is cherry picking of the worst sort. How many natties in the last half century? Just the one. How many Top Ten finishes in the last 11 years? One (#9, lol). But at least the Horns stopped that 10-year streak of losing at least 4 games per year last season by losing 3 (and they only played 9).

Throw in how UT sports are subsidized by state oil revenues and its fair to question if any school in the country has achieved less with more.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Pfft. This is cherry picking of the worst sort. How many natties in the last half century? Just the one. How many Top Ten finishes in the last 11 years? One (#9, lol). But at least the Horns stopped that 10-year streak of losing at least 4 games per year last season by losing 3 (and they only played 9).

Throw in how UT sports are subsidized by state oil revenues and its fair to question if any school in the country has achieved less with more.
    Apparently you didn’t read the part where I said since 2009, when Texas was only a devastating first-quarter injury to Colt McCoy’s shoulder from winning another national championship, it was simply the last few years of the dying Mack Brown regime, then they picked a poor coach (for five long years) in Charlie Strong, and then Tom Herman did pretty well, but not great. Prior to that Texas had been in the elite level or close to it for much, but admittedly not all, of the past 50 years.

Now that Texas is going to be in the SEC they will once again dominate recruiting in the state of Texas, especially since A&M won’t be able to say they (A&M) are the only Texas team in the SEC.

Unless Steve Sarkisian turns out to be a terrible coach — and I find that highly doubtful considering he was recently under the tutelage of the best coach in football, Nick Saban, and he (Sark) brought Alabama’s offense to heights it had never before achieved — Texas will be back among the elite.

Texas is going to have top-five recruiting classes every year. They have everything in place to win. Why wouldn’t they be able to win? What’s your reasoning? Im confident it’s only a matter of time.

And now I’m going to try to stop commenting on this subject for a couple of days because I don’t want to draw the wrath of Bob Green. Please people, stop goading me on this Texas Longhorns stuff! 😉