Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Growing up I despised the arrogance of Texas. As an adult I despise the arrogance of North Carolina...I feel better already.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Growing up I despised the arrogance of Texas. As an adult I despise the arrogance of North Carolina...I feel better already.
    I used to kind of like the Texas basketball program, but the football team makes it hard for me to keep that up.

I'm failing to see how moving to the SEC will overcome Texas's chronic underachievement in futbol. The grass is always greener I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm failing to see how moving to the SEC will overcome Texas's chronic underachievement in futbol. The grass is always greener I guess...
    They may continue to underachieve, but they will be better compen$ated for it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    They may continue to underachieve, but they will be better compen$ated for it.
    I guess on hazy on the details of this...I thought they had their own sweetheart TV deal...is that no longer in effect, or is it just a lesser amount than the prodigious SEC payout? But absolutely it's all about $.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    CB&B:

How do we not become Georgetown: a school with a D-1 basketball program and a number of non-revenue sports ?
    You say that like it’s a bad thing. 😎

Growing up I despised the arrogance of Texas.
    It’s only gotten worse.

One nugget that should not be overlooked in the comments from the president who took A&M into the SEC:

“Loftin said most expansion discussion centered on schools such as North Carolina, NC State, Virginia or Virginia Tech, all schools in states with no SEC members.”

Notice who is not mentioned.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

That's funny given that you helped Texas become independent from Mexico, served as its president when it was independent, annexed it to the United States then were a Senator representing the state and had the largest city in the state named after you...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That's funny given that you helped Texas become independent from Mexico, served as its president when it was independent, annexed it to the United States then were a Senator representing the state and had the largest city in the state named after you...
    Exactly. That's some Texas-sized hypocrisy right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I used to kind of like the Texas basketball program, but the football team makes it hard for me to keep that up.
    It's that stupid orange-lit tower in the center of campus.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It’s going to get much crazier.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...c-legislature/

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Yep. This kind of thing, IIRC (and there's always a first time), is how Baylor ended up in the Big XII to begin with. And how VaTech landed in the ACC. And I suspect T. Boone and the Okie St. alumni crowd will be beating on the OK state legislature in similar fashion.

<grabs the popcorn>
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yep. This kind of thing, IIRC (and there's always a first time), is how Baylor ended up in the Big XII to begin with. And how VaTech landed in the ACC. And I suspect T. Boone and the Okie St. alumni crowd will be beating on the OK state legislature in similar fashion.

<grabs the popcorn>
    Oof. I don't know about "grabbing the popcorn." To me, that suggests a level of detached entertainment. When these seismic shifts happen, I get very anxious for Duke.

As someone who is a huge basketball fan that follows college football as a necessary appetizer, I know that basketball is simply an after-thought. This means it is not beyond the pale to imagine Duke being marginalized at the expense of basketball because of football.

Duke is in an ideal basketball situation today, as best I can determine. The conference has some turnover in the coaching, but being in the same conference with Louisville, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse - teams habitually in the top tier - as well as FSU, VaTech, Miami, Notre Dame... It's a very strong roster of teams and programs. There are up and down years obviously, but it's a very good lineup.

I don't have to get very creative to imagine things changing very quickly for Duke and ended up in a far less ideal situation.

I'll keep my popcorn for now. Or maybe just munch cautiously, without the schadenfreude.

In discussing whether Carolina could/should be invited to the Big Ten, the author wrote this:

“There’s also the Duke thing to think about. Would Sonny go on to another career without Cher?“

We’re Cher?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists/big-ten-conference-expansion-teams-to-look-at-realignment-ohio-state-football/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In discussing whether Carolina could/should be invited to the Big Ten, the author wrote this:

“There’s also the Duke thing to think about. Would Sonny go on to another career without Cher?“

We’re Cher?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buckeye...-football/amp/
    I Got You Babe.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

We’re Cher?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buckeye...-football/amp/
    The true star of the show? Why yes, yes we are.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You should research old Sam more closely. He was very familiar with Texian/Texan hypocrisy; just look at what he had to say in 1861 on topics that are very much in public-policy territory.

But really, more importantly, you are conflating "Texas" with "Texas." What we're talking about here is the arrogance of the University of Texas at Austin, not the arrogance of the State of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    You should research old Sam more closely. He was very familiar with Texian/Texan hypocrisy; just look at what he had to say in 1861 on topics that are very much in public-policy territory.

But really, more importantly, you are conflating "Texas" with "Texas." What we're talking about here is the arrogance of the University of Texas at Austin, not the arrogance of the State of Texas.
    Lighten up. I was just trying to poke a little fun at the irony of his user name given the topic and his post. Standard DBR fare. I recognize all the differences.

I think this whole football realignment situation is an ugly mess and as a fan/alum of Duke, a small basketball school, I don't really like that big football schools are making all of the decisions. So I'm trying to lighten things up a bit here.

I really enjoy following Duke football. I was one of the only students in attendance the last game of the season when we went 0-11 my senior year. I badly want to win and play with the big boys but part of me likes the folksiness of our program. Mrs. CNC and I both have degrees from Ivy League schools and I enjoy following their teams and taking my family to the games of the Ivy League school a few miles from me. Worst case if that's what Duke football turns into, I wouldn't be that upset as long as basketball and non-rev sports can survive without the football TV money (I am more worried about the non-rev sports than basketball).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's that stupid orange-lit tower in the center of campus.
    What’s stupid about it?