Thread: St. Louis

St. Louis

Headed there tomorrow for almost a week and a half to visit my wife’s family. Best restaurants I need to try? Going to two Cardinals games at Busch Stadium against the Giants (Saturday) and Cubs (Thursday).

Everest Cafe is a wonderful northern Indian/Nepalese restaurant with excellent, rich, affordable food. The owner holds a master’s in public health from Duke and goes back to Nepal every summer to give back to his home communities. The cafe is in a vibrant and lively neighborhood called The Grove. Definitely worth a visit.

I went to St. Louis for a few business trips about five years ago and ate at Pappy's Smokehouse. It is a short ride from downtown (I think it is 2-3 miles), near SLU. Very casual, very good BBQ. There was a bit of a line but not horrible.

Afterwards we went to a really good brewery next door called Center Ice Brewery. I'm not much of a beer drinker but my colleagues were very impressed.

I got a t-shirt from Pappy's and unfortunately lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Everest Cafe is a wonderful northern Indian/Nepalese restaurant with excellent, rich, affordable food. The owner holds a master’s in public health from Duke and goes back to Nepal every summer to give back to his home communities. The cafe is in a vibrant and lively neighborhood called The Grove. Definitely worth a visit.
    That sounds amazing and right in our wheelhouse. Thank you for the recommendation .

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I went to St. Louis for a few business trips about five years ago and ate at Pappy's Smokehouse. It is a short ride from downtown (I think it is 2-3 miles), near SLU. Very casual, very good BBQ. There was a bit of a line but not horrible.

Afterwards we went to a really good brewery next door called Center Ice Brewery. I'm not much of a beer drinker but my colleagues were very impressed.

I got a t-shirt from Pappy's and unfortunately lost it.
    We will definitely have to try Pappy’s. Casual, smokehouse, and very good BBQ put me in hog heaven .

Being old codgers, Mrs. rasputin and I don't get out much. There are a lot of nice dining establishments on The Hill. Our favorite is Cunetto's.
    If you are interested in a trip to the zoo, St. Louis's is world-class.

Go see a show at The Muny, live outdoor theatre!

1) I would second pappy’s bbq or bogarts for bbq.
    2) Balkan treat box is amazing and unusual. It is only open for lunch.
    3) One of the restaurants in the niche restaurant group. They are run by chef/owner Gerard Craft who is a James Beard award winner. Pasteria is his more casual Italian offering, but all are very good.
    4) olive and oak is nice and has a poignant story. The two families who own the restaurant met when their infants were battling heart disorders. The restaurant is named in memory of their two children.
    5) Nathaniel Reid bakery. Do not let the strip mall fool you. His pastries are fantastic. Nominated for James beard award.
    6) union loafers makes great sandwiches.
    7) giaio’s deli in the hill for a hot salami sandwich.
    8) under no circumstances eat IMO’s pizza. It is a taste that only people who grew up in St. Louis can tolerate.

Here is the top 100 from post dispatch food critic.

https://graphics.stltoday.com/apps/stl100-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    1) I would second pappy’s bbq or bogarts for bbq.
    2) Balkan treat box is amazing and unusual. It is only open for lunch.
    3) One of the restaurants in the niche restaurant group. They are run by chef/owner Gerard Craft who is a James Beard award winner. Pasteria is his more casual Italian offering, but all are very good.
    4) olive and oak is nice and has a poignant story. The two families who own the restaurant met when their infants were battling heart disorders. The restaurant is named in memory of their two children.
    5) Nathaniel Reid bakery. Do not let the strip mall fool you. His pastries are fantastic. Nominated for James beard award.
    6) union loafers makes great sandwiches.
    7) giaio’s deli in the hill for a hot salami sandwich.
    8) under no circumstances eat IMO’s pizza. It is a taste that only people who grew up in St. Louis can tolerate.
    8 is wrong. I didn't grow up in St. Louis, and I like Imo's. (My wife sez I didn't grow up at all, but that's for another thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    8 is wrong. I didn't grow up in St. Louis, and I like Imo's. (My wife sez I didn't grow up at all, but that's for another thread.)
    Imo's is grease soup on a matzah. I truly despise Imo's, or did when I lived there. It's the ultimate contrast to Chicago-style pizza, and I'm afraid Chicago wins on that one.

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is not to be missed for dessert. It's a St. Louis icon all the way back to the Route 66 days. The concretes don't sound appetizing, but they are. Well, in way, the opposite of appetizing, actually. They are extremely filling. Leave some time after dinner if you choose to indulge.