Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2021 DBR Mock Draft - that's a wrap!

And so it begins...

THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB OF THE GM IS TO MAKE TIMELY PICKS!! When it is your turn, you make a pick and explain your rationale. There are no trades allowed. The NBA's draft order today is the order we will use.

Very important -- Do not make us wait many hours for you to make your pick. Every picker will be on the clock. If you fail to make your pick in a timely fashion, I will draft for you based on the best available player on the various NBA mock draft boards. Here is how the clock will work:

Mon-Fri between 8am and 8pm ET, the clock is 4 hours. Make a pick in 4 hours or forfeit your pick to me (or some other designated picker).
    Sat and Sun, the clock is 6 hours between 8am and 8pm ET (to allow for people who have activities away from the computer on weekends).

Please note -- you are allowed (and encouraged) to make picks before your time is up and you are allowed to make picks late at night even though the clock is suspended. Also, if you are worried you will not be available and can see your pick is coming up, PM some possible picks to me and I can post it for you.

Any further questions, either PM me or post in this thread.

Here is the draft order--

2021 FIRST ROUND
    1. Detroit - scottdude8 - Cade Cunningham, G, Oklahoma State
    2. Houston - kAzE - Evan Mobley, C, USC
    3. Cleveland - House P - Jalen Green, G, G-League
    4. Toronto - scottdude8 - Jalen Suggs, G, Gonzaga
    5. Orlando - roywhite - Scottie Barnes, G, Florida State
    6. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Jonathan Kuminga, F, G League Ignite
    7. Golden State - jacone21 - Davion Mitchell, G, Baylor
    8. Orlando - roywhite - Alperen Sengun, PF/C, Turkey
    9. Sacramento - flyingdutchdevil - Ziaire Williams, F, Stanford
    10. New Orleans - brevity - Moses Moody, SG, Arkansas
    11. Charlotte - JasonEvans - Corey Kispert, SF, Gonzaga
    12. San Antonio - Billy Dat - Luka Garza, C, Iowa.
    13. Indiana - FerryFor50 - Jalen Johnson, F, Duke
    14. Golden State - jacone21 - Franz Wagner, G, Michigan
    15. Washington - Truth&Justise - James Bouknight, G, UConn
    16. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Keon Johnson, G, Tennessee
    17. Memphis - powellhill1981 - Ayo Dosunmu, G, Illinois
    18. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Kai Jones, F/C, Texas
    19. New York - accfanfrom1970 - Chris Duarte, G/F, Oregon
    20. Atlanta - JasonEvans - Josh Giddy, G/F, Australia
    21. New York - accfanfrom1970 - Usman Garuba, F, Spain
    22. Los Angeles Lakers - theschwartz - Jared Butler, G, Baylor
    23. Houston - kAzE - Sharife Cooper, PG, Auburn
    24. Houston - kAzE - Trey Murphy, SF, Virginia
    25. LA Clippers - Kdogg - Miles "Deuce" McBride, G, WVU
    26. Denver - MrPoon - Jaden Springer, G, Tenn
    27. Brooklyn - Billy Dat - Isaiah Jackson, F, Kentucky
    28. Philadelphia - Gooch - Nah’Shon Hyland, G, VCU
    29. Phoenix - roywhite - Day'Ron Sharpe, C, unc
    30. Utah - coldriver10 - JT Thor, F, Auburn

2021 SECOND ROUND
    31. Milwaukee - phaedrus - Joel Ayayi, G, Gonzaga
    32. New York - accfanfrom1970 - Quentin Grimes, SG, Houston
    33. Orlando - roywhite - Tre Mann, G, Florida
    34. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Cameron Thomas, G, LSU
    35. New Orleans - brevity - Joe Wieskamp, G/F, Iowa.
    36. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Joshua Primo, G, Alabama
    37. Detroit - scottdude8 - Josh Christopher, G, Arizona St
    38. Chicago - CDu - BJ Boston, SF Kentucky
    39. Sacramento - flyingdutchdevil - Isaiah Todd, F, G-League
    40. New Orleans - brevity - Jason Preston, PG, Ohio University
    41. San Antonio - Billy Dat - Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, F, Villanova
    42. Detroit - scottdude8 - Isaiah Livers, F, Michigan
    43. New Orleans - brevity - Neemias Queta, C, Utah State
    44. Brooklyn - Billy Dat - Herb Jones, G/F, Alabama
    45. Boston - flyingdutchdevil - Austin Reaves, G, Oklahoma
    46. Toronto - scottdude8 - Charles Bassey, C, Western Kentucky
    47. Toronto - scottdude8 - Filip Petrusev, F, Serbia
    48. Atlanta - JasonEvans - Matthew Hurt, F, Duke University
    49. Brooklyn - Billy Dat - Justin Champagnie, F, Pittsburgh
    50. Philadelphia - Gooch - Sandro Mamukelashvili, F, Seton Hall.
    51. Memphis - powellhill1981 - Sam Hauser, F Marquette/UVA
    52. Detroit - scottdude8 - Duane Washington, G, Ohio State
    53. New Orleans - brevity - Matt Coleman III, G, Texas
    54. Indiana - FerryFor50 - Aaron Henry, F, Michigan State
    55. Oklahoma City - pfrduke - Vrenz Bleijenbergh, F, Antwerp
    56. Charlotte - JasonEvans - Greg Brown, F, Texas
    57. Charlotte - JasonEvans -RaiQuan Grey, F, Florida St.
    58. New York - accfanfrom1970 - EJ Onu, F/C, Shawnee State
    59. Brooklyn - Billy Dat - Carlik Jones, PG, Louisville.
    60. Indiana - FerryFor50 - Aaron Wiggins, F, Maryland
    Last edited by -jk; 07-24-2021 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more names

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

With the first pick of the 2021 NBA Draft, the Detroit Pistons select...

Cade Cunningham, Guard, Oklahoma State

Some are talking up the potential of G-League standout Jalen Green as a potential surprise here, but to me this is an absolute no-brainer pick for my Pistons. As a few on this board have put it, Cade is "Ben Simmons with a shot", a 6-foot-8 point guard who shot 40% from 3 and 84% from the line in his one year as a Cowboy. From what I've seen of him he shows above average engagement on the defensive end, which honestly is the best you can expect from most one-and-done's these days. In my eyes, though, the most impressive thing about him is that he showed a real killer-instinct and leadership qualities while in Stillwater, leading multiple come-from-behind wins and having a knack for buzzer-beating shots.

The Pistons used the No. 7 pick last year on another point guard, Killian Hayes, who they remain high on. But Hayes also has good size at 6-foot-5, so there's no reason to believe the two can't pair together in the backcourt, especially with Cunningham's plus shooting abilities. All of a sudden the Pistons look like a team that could make noise in a year or two: their 2021 starting lineup could include Cunningham, Hayes, Saddiq Bey (an All-Rookie Team selection last year who set a few rookie records with his three point shooting), Jerami Grant (a free agent signing that seemed dubious at first, but now looks like a steal, with Grant now a member of the Olympic team), and Isaiah Stewart (another All-Rookie Team selection). Mason Plumlee will still be around to split time with Stewart at the 5, and the Pistons have a handful of low cost, high-potential youngsters on the bench still, including Josh Jackson, Hamidou Diallo, and 2019 first rounder Sekou Doumbaya (who's shown flashes of being a Pascal Siakam type, but is still only 20 years old!). If the Pistons can find a backup PG (last year's second round pick Saben Lee showed some potential as well) and depth up front (the direction I think they'll go in the second round) this is a young core that could be together for half a decade and grow into something interesting.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It is day one of the draft...
    And I only informed folks about it starting today yesterday afternoon...
    And we still have like 2 weeks until the NBA draft...

...So I am gonna be nice and give kAzE a bit more time to make his pick.

But this is not a good way to start our process... not at all.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This just reinforces the idea that the real 2021 NBA Draft is Cade Cunningham and a bunch of other people.

Suggestion: punish kAzE and have the Houston Rockets draft Day'Ron Sharpe at #2. And at #23, and at #24.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This just reinforces the idea that the real 2021 NBA Draft is Cade Cunningham and a bunch of other people.

Suggestion: punish kAzE and have the Houston Rockets draft Day'Ron Sharpe at #2. And at #23, and at #24.
    Does that mean he wastes three picks on one Day'Ron Sharpe, or he gets three Day'Ron Sharpes?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Does that mean he wastes three picks on one Day'Ron Sharpe, or he gets three Day'Ron Sharpes?
    The former. A cloned UNC player sounds plenty awful in reality, but a mock GM would never feel it.

(I figured I'd let someone else reply after you posted this, but man, this thread is already dead.)

Houston Rockets select Evan Mobley

SO sorry for the late pick!

My bad, guys

Will do the write up in the morning . . . .

This is my first time participating in the DBR mock draft. I want to do a good job, so I reached out to Cavs owner Dan Gilbert who responded with the following email.

######### Begin email from Dan Gilbert #############

“Dear Cleveland, All of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight:

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

“I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS (a fifth) ONE”

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day…

… Because the Cleveland Cavaliers will be using the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft to select someone neither I nor anyone else in the Cavs organization has ever watched play the game of basketball … Jalen Green, shooting guard from the G-League Ignite Team.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Dan”

############### End email for Dan Gilbert ##################

To be clear, Dan Gilbert did not send me the email above – it is mostly a word-for-word transcription of the infamous email Gilbert wrote when LeBron left for Miami. And who doesn’t enjoy poking fun at the 11 year old Comic Sans rantings of one of the 50 wealthiest people on the planet?

As for the 2021 draft, here is a summary of the Cavs situation.

Current Roster

The Cavs biggest strength - if they can be said to have a strength - is their young backcourt of Collin Sexton, Darius Garland, and Isaac Okoro. Sexton and Garland appear to be good enough to start for NBA teams better than the Cavs and Okoro had a promising rookie season.

Sexton is in the final year of his rookie contract, so there is talk of trading him before he commands a huge contract. That leaves Garland, Okoro and possibly big man Jarrett Allen (a restricted free agent) as the only young guys who will likely be on the roster in a couple years when the Cavs might be in position to contend for playoff spot.

Fun Facts about the 2020-21 Cavs roster

38-year old Anderson Varejao, who last played in the NBA for the Warriors in 2017, played 5 games (36 minutes) for the Cavs last season. Marquise Bolden played 6 games (29 minutes) for the Cavs.

The Pick – Jalen Green

With a solid young backcourt, Cleveland may be reluctant to select another backcourt player with the 3rd overall pick. However, I believe that bad teams like the Cavs should take the player they think has the best chance of becoming an elite player, regardless of position.

Among the 60 players drafted 3-5 between 1995 and 2014, 15 went on to make multiple All-NBA teams. Four guys picked 3-5 made one All-NBA team. Getting a future all-NBA level talent is probably the best way for the Cavs to become relevant again.

Most scouts seem to think that Green has the biggest upside of any of the remaining eligible players. Green is a 6-5 guard who is an elite scorer and elite athlete. Green is also a good, but not elite, shooter (36.5% on 5.7 threes per game from NBA distance and 83% from the FT line). Apparently Green didn't show much defense in the G-League, but Green has the size and athleticism to become a good defender if he is willing to put in the work. That's a big "if", but I am willing to take the chance.

By the way, joking about the obscurity of the G-League aside, Green is probably better scouted than any of the one-and-done Freshmen. While Green only played 17 games in the G-League, presumably NBA folks could watch him practice as much as they wanted. How many Oklahoma St, USC, and Gonzaga practices did scouts watch?

Others Considered

Evan Mobley – If he had been available, I probably would have selected him. Conventional wisdom says that teams shouldn’t use a top 3 pick on a center. However, Mobley is a rare 7 footer who is not only an elite shot blocker, but also has a solid all-around game - good passer (for a big), good ballhandler (for a big), solid rebounder, decent shooter, and good enough perimeter defender to hold his own vs ball screens).

Jalen Suggs – Suggs is a very well-rounded player with the size and athleticism to succeed as a point guard in the NBA. In the end, I chose X because I think he has a bit more upside than Suggs.

Jonathan Kuminga – As a 6-9 wing, Kuminga is probably a better positional fit for the Cavs. However, most scouts seem to think he is the 5th most talented played in the draft and I have previously stated that I prefer upside over positional fit for a team like the Cavs.

Jalen Johnson –Two of the top four prospects in the draft are named Jalen. Therefore, it would be just like the Cavs to somehow select the 3rd best Jalen in the draft.

Sleep well Cleveland!!!
    Last edited by House P; 07-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

With the fourth pick of the 2021 NBA Draft, the Toronto Raptors select...

Jalen Suggs, point guard, Gonzaga

First, a major caveat: if I'm Masai Ujiri, I'm doing whatever I can do get Evan Mobley... I'd offer the Rockets this pick and next year's No. 1 to move up to No. 2 and secure him in a heartbeat. The reason: the Raptors are arguably a center away from a very abbreviated rebuild, since they have a solid core of guard Fred VanVleet and wings Gary Trent, OG Anunoby, and Pascal Siakam. Mobley slides right into that group and gives the Raptors their starting five for potentially the next half decade, one that could be back in the playoffs as soon as this year. It's worth recognizing how much of an insane disadvantage the Raptors were at this year relative to the rest of the league, having to play their games in Florida rather than in Toronto... they were "on the road" for the entire year, and the players admitted after the season that it wore them down.

Second major caveat: if the Raptors can't snag Mobley, this is a prime trade-down spot, again because the Raptors are closer to getting back into contention than your typical team picking fourth overall. They could easily try to turn this pick into a more veteran talent, especially if Kyle Lowry leaves and they have cap room to play with. Or, perhaps they try to turn this into multiple mid-late first round picks to build out the depth around their young core. Something to keep an eye on.

That said, if Mobley is gone and they keep the pick, I think they go with Suggs. While on the surface taking a PG might seem like a bad fit with the money the Raptors gave VanVleet, Nick Nurse was very comfortable with a backcourt of two traditional point guards, as evidenced by the title run with VanVleet and Lowry in the backcourt. Suggs' solid size (6-foot-4) arguably makes more sense paired with the diminutive VanVleet. I also see a great fit here from a culture perspective, with the Raptors the type of team that would value a proven winner with leadership skills, not to mention the clutch gene that Suggs clearly has (see the Final 4).

Again, fit on the floor is still a bit of a question. At 33%, he was an average 3 point shooter at Gonzaga, and likely needs to improve that to fit in this backcourt. Suggs' presence also might force the Raptors to let Trent go (he's an unrestricted free agent) unless he's OK with a sixth man role (Anunoby has already signed a hefty extension, as has Siakam). But Suggs solid intangibles and willingness defensively and on the glass make him a great fit with the Raptors culture and give them a backcourt to build around. Plus, he's likely more ready to contribute now than other guys to consider at this spot, like Jonathan Kuminga, which fits with the Raptors intention to have an abbreviated rebuild.

All that said, I think that this pick is where the drama of the draft could kick into high gear, and the Raptors could be heavily shopping this pick if they can't get Mobley. But if Ujiri doesn't get the value he wants (and, as evidenced by his reluctance to trade Kyle Lowry at the deadline this year, he isn't going to trade just for the heck of it), I see Suggs as the pick.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

#5 pick Scottie Barnes

With the 5th pick in the NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic select:
    Scottie Barnes 6'8" G/F from Florida State

The Magic are in a serious rebuilding situation. They finished 21-51, traded away their most productive player, Nikola Vucevic, and will have a new coach in Jumehl Mosley, formerly an asst. with the Dallas Mavericks. They do have some young talent, including former Duke player Wendell Carter, Jr. and former Tarheel Cole Anthony. And the other piece of good news is having the #5 and #8 draft slots in what appears to be a good class.

Barnes gives them versatility, length, defensive ability, and potential. He can play at PG or have a playmaker role as a forward; needs to work on his long-range shooting.

**Additional note -- lately, the ACC Coach with elite 1st round draft talent has been Leonard Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    With the 5th pick in the NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic select:
    Scottie Barnes 6'8" G/F from Florida State
    Can't even tell you how much I love this pick. Barnes has absurd, ridiculous, outrageous length (7-3 wingspan) for a PG. He's going to be a defensive terror, I suspect. I was also really impressed with his court vision and awareness when I watched him play for FSU. He could be more aggressive in hunting his shot, but I think that will come as he realizes he is an elite player at the next level. I'm not saying I would take him higher, because this draft is just loaded at the top, but I still love him in this spot.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With the #6 pick, the OKC Thunder select
    Jonathan Kuminga, F, G League Ignite

OKC has {checks overflowing pockets} an ungodly number of draft picks over the next several years, enabling it to take swings on high-ceiling, higher-risk players anywhere in the draft. Kuminga fits the bill, profiled at some points as the potential #1 pick in the draft before being overtaken by other talent (and being outshone on the Ignite team by Jalen Green). It may take him some time to put it all together, but we have time, and we like what Kuminga could become.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

#2 Pick: Evan Mobley

Sorry for holding up the draft once again . . . I don't why I thought this would start next week.

Mobley over Jalen Green is probably a somewhat controversial pick with the Houston fans, since the current best player on the Rockets' entire roster is big man Christian Wood. I do expect the Rockets to select Jalen Green in the real draft, but I believe it could be a mistake. Green is a high-end talent and proven scorer, but 6'6" wing scorers come through every draft. Mobley is a once in a decade type of big man, maybe the closest prospect to Anthony Davis we've seen since 2012. It's true that big men are not nearly as valuable in the league as they once were, due to the rise of small ball and spread pick and roll. But we've also seen what a difference it makes when a real center is able to stay on the floor and contribute on both ends in the NBA with a guy like DeAndre Ayton (and obviously Davis himself just last season). I believe Mobley has the skills, the mobility, and the IQ to play at least above average defense in the pick and roll, protect the rim at a very high level with his 7'4" wingspan, while also dominating on the other end with his elite offensive skill set.

With his ability to make plays with the ball and score from 3 levels, he can play next to another big man like Christian Wood, but the long term goal would be to fill out that frame and play Mobley at the 5 and surround him with shooters and playmakers. I believe too many teams make the mistake of drafting players who fill a positional need instead of simply taking the most talented prospect, and this could be one of those cases. In 2020, both the Wolves and Warriors passed on drafting LaMelo Ball, and regardless of how you feel about Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman (I think they both have tons of potential), it is quite obvious that LaMelo is, and will be the best player in the 2020 draft, and would have helped those teams more than the respective players they drafted. Same with the Sacramento Kings, who infamously drafted Marvin Bagley over Luka Doncic and Trae Young because of a perceived positional conflict with De'Aron Fox.

So, we will see what the real Rockets do (rumors are that they are enamored with Jalen Green), but I believe Mobley is the more talented prospect because of his versatility, basketball IQ, and potential to become an elite player on both ends, so I am happy to fake-draft him.

With the 7th pick of the 2021 DBR draft, the Golden State Warriors select...

Davion Mitchell

Mitchell is a grown man, who can contribute immediately, and provide some needed depth at the point guard position. He can be a hellacious perimeter defender, and knocked down 44.7 percent from 3-point range this past season. At 22, he may be approaching his ceiling, but that ceiling looks good. These days, you never know if you'll keep your 19 year old draftee into his prime anyway. So why not take a shot on a guy who can play now and fill a need?

I was hoping Barnes would drop to this spot, but I'm happy to pick up Mitchell at 7.

#8 pick Alperen Sengun

With the #8 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic select Alperen Sengun, a 6'10" PF/C from Turkey

I don't claim to be an expert on European hoops, but the contributions of players from Europe are significant, with 3 members of the All NBA 1st team hailing from Greece, Slovenia, and Serbia.

Can Alperen Sengun of Turkey, who just turns 19 this month, become the next European big man to fill up NBA stat sheets? Perhaps.

Sengun was MVP of the Turkish league, scoring with either hand around the basket, passing well, and shooting a high percentage from the field and the FT line. He lacks elite speed and jumping ability, but uses his body well and has a good knowledge of the game. For the Magic, he is another piece for long-term development.

Spent yesterday in and out of airports/planes worried I would be late to pick. Obviously not, I got from Virginia to Alaska on two picks.

Sacramento selects

Ziaire Williams.

Massive upside. Highly athletic. High character.

Inconsistent freshman year but arguably incredible upside.

Loved Jalen Johnson here for his upside…then realized Sacramento does not need more distractions.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

#10: The New Orleans Pelicans select Moses Moody

This mock GM was issued a mock directive: Zion Needs Space. I took this to mean that he's being recruited as an astronaut by NASA or some private billionaire with a rocket. Not that surprising. We certainly could use Zion in case aliens challenge Earth to a basketball game. (Subtle reminder that Space Jam: A New Legacy is now playing in theaters and on HBO Max.)

Then I realized that Zion needs floor spacing, and the Pelicans should draft an upgrade at shooting guard. A strong defender and shooter, able to complement Brandon Ingram on the wing. Enter Arkansas SG Moses Moody. His official draft combine measurements list him as 6-foot-6 with a wingspan close to 7-foot-1. (Among those measured, he has the longest wingspan relative to his height.) He figures to be disruptive as a defender of guards and wings on the perimeter. At Arkansas he shot 36% from beyond the arc and averaged nearly 17 points and 6 rebounds. He's not the fastest prospect or a great playmaker, but I'm not sure the Pelicans will require that from him. He should slide in and help them in their Win Now mode.

In case Moody had been selected earlier, I also considered James Bouknight, who measured a bit shorter than Connecticut advertised, and Corey Kispert, who shoots at an elite level but has a limited wingspan and might not be a capable enough NBA defender.

With the 11th pick in the mock draft, the Charlotte Hornets select...

Corey Kispert - SF, Gonzaga

The single most important skill in the NBA today is shooting. Kispert is arguably the best shooter in the entire draft. I think Kispert shows a lot of the same skills as Gordon Heyward. If he is another Heyward, I just hit a home run.

I’ll have more later on this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With the 11th pick in the mock draft, the Charlotte Hornets select...

Corey Kispert - SF, Gonzaga

The single most important skill in the NBA today is shooting. Kispert is arguably the best shooter in the entire draft. I think Kispert shows a lot of the same skills as Gordon Heyward. If he is another Heyward, I just hit a home run.

I’ll have more later on this pick.
    Admit it, the real reason for this is the Jordan picks a white guy memes😝