Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Not to mention the more tangible disadvantage - if you save the ball from going out of bounds, but the other team grabs it, they have a 5 on 4 for at least a few seconds.

I actually was at Cornell's season opener. They played well the entire game, and then, at the end, Lehigh started pressing, and Cornell almost blew a 15 point lead in the final minute and a half or so. Translation: they are going to get slaughtered by Duke's pressure.
    Cornell I expect to have a nice team. Duke I expect to have way more than a nice team. We will come to play, however.

As for pressure, we laugh at pressure, are amused by pressure, and, like that great Judo expert who founded Obies and invented the Bo Burger, we just roll with pressure, turn it against all who would bring it. Or, like all good Cornellians of my era, we could instead crumple and afterwards make a midnight run to Obies and get one of those apple turnovers smeared with butter, after woofing down a couple of Bo burgers and some home fries. But alas, Obies is long gone and bo burgers (cheeseburger with onions and a fried, but still somewhat juicy, egg on top) are oh so politically incorrect; I fear that crumpling is therefore no longer an option. So, you guys think you've seen diving, my guys are bringing in Bruce Luganis the week before the Duke game. We'll show you some diving!

Will we get slaughtered? Depends on how the game goes. We'll have to wait on that one.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Will we (Cornell) get slaughtered? Depends on how the game goes. We'll have to wait on that one.
    Dream on.

All I know greybeard is that Cornell outplayed their opponent the entire game and then in the last 90 seconds they started facing a press and came extremely close to coughing up a double digit lead.

Will we get slaughtered? Depends on how the game goes. We'll have to wait on that one.
    Hmm.

"Will we win?"

"Depends on whether we win or lose."

come on

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    All I know greybeard is that Cornell outplayed their opponent the entire game and then in the last 90 seconds they started facing a press and came extremely close to coughing up a double digit lead.
    That is, as you put forth, all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Hmm.

"Will we win?"

"Depends on whether we win or lose."

come on
    Have you been following college basketball and seen the upsets? Cornell is expected to compete for the Ivy Championship. I figure it's best to let em play and see what happens. Really, that's what I think.

I haven't seen Cornell play since 1968. I can assure you that, against the 68 team, Duke's pressure would have been a meaningless nothing. Walt Esdall, 6'7" behemoth, we're talking Wes Unseld big, used to bring the ball up, dribble with either hand and behind his back, which was the size of Cameron. You dive into one of Walt's legs and you don't know Tuesday from a garbage can, which meant you didn't do much diving.

Walt, as gentle a guy as you could find, lead Hillhouse High School to a state championship and a perfect record in Conneticut. You were not going to "pressure" him or one of his, not on the court you weren't. Didn't score a whole lot, but a perfect pivot to run the offense through. Amazing hands, feet, and a head for the game.

Hank South was a 6'5" foreward who was an incredible athlete and baller. Better than anyone I've seen at Duke this year. Greg Morris had a better lift off the floor than anyone I've ever seen period. He shot from pro-3 range and routinely made them even though they only counted for two, and could get to the basket whenever he wanted.

So, if the current Cornell team was anything like that one, I ain't counting them out. I definitely am not going to predict some sort of blowout.

Nope, and that is for real.

By the way, you might want to check this out, the story of how the 1966 big red machine rolled into what was to become Rupp arena as prohibitive underdogs to the third ranked Wildcats:

"The Big Red were not supposed to be there. An integrated school from the Ivy League had no business playing on the Coliseum floor. The Ithacans were not going to win, let alone keep the score close. The game would be a blowout. Even the betting line had the Cornell as a 25-point underdog. The Cincinnati Post even openly questioned why Cornell would want to be subjected to such humiliation.

And after it was all said and done, the masses were right, the game was a blowout. And it was Gregg Morris — the player best remembered for this night because he poured in 37 points — who led the 92-77 rout. But Gregg Morris did not play for Adolph Rupp."
    From Ivy@50.com.

On any given night, . . . . Go Red!

Have you been following college basketball and seen the upsets? Cornell is expected to compete for the Ivy Championship. I figure it's best to let em play and see what happens. Really, that's what I think.

I haven't seen Cornell play since 1968. I can assure you that, against the 68 team, Duke's pressure would have been a meaningless nothing. Walt Esdall, 6'7" behemoth, we're talking Wes Unseld big, used to bring the ball up, dribble with either hand and behind his back, which was the size of Cameron. You dive into one of Walt's legs and you don't know Tuesday from a garbage can, which meant you didn't do much diving.

Walt, as gentle a guy as you could find, lead Hillhouse High School to a state championship and a perfect record in Conneticut. You were not going to "pressure" him or one of his, not on the court you weren't. Didn't score a whole lot, but a perfect pivot to run the offense through. Amazing hands, feet, and a head for the game.

Hank South was a 6'5" foreward who was an incredible athlete and baller. Better than anyone I've seen at Duke this year. Greg Morris had a better lift off the floor than anyone I've ever seen period. He shot from pro-3 range and routinely made them even though they only counted for two, and could get to the basket whenever he wanted.

So, if the current Cornell team was anything like that one, I ain't counting them out. I definitely am not going to predict some sort of blowout.

Nope, and that is for real.
    This post is relevant to what?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    This post is relevant to what?
    A direct response to a post by SilkyJ, and your own "come on." I thought I tied in the above quite nicely with reference to how Cornell went into Rupp against a number 3 ranked Kentucky, the year after THE GAME, as, according to the pundits, ridiculous underdogs and won. My point, you play the game, then you see.

Your turn. How was calling the original post on this thread a criticism of Duke, much less trolling, relevant to anything the poster actually said?

A direct response to a post by SilkyJ, and your own "come on." I thought I tied in the above quite nicely with reference to how Cornell went into Rupp against a number 3 ranked Kentucky, the year after THE GAME, as, according to the pundits, ridiculous underdogs and won. My point, you play the game, then you see.

Your turn. How was calling the original post on this thread a criticism of Duke, much less trolling, relevant to anything the poster actually said?
    Devil77, I went back and came upon your original post on this thread. My admiration, sir; you obviously can forget the question.

I wrote dream on and stand by that statement. Analyze the two teams that will take the court this year. If you really think stories about the big red 40 years ago has any relevance to this years game, there is nothing more to write.

Huh?? I wrote nothing of the kind. I ignore you most of the time, but sometimes, like tonight, I feel compelled to respond to one of your inane statements. I sooo miss the ignore button.

Devil77 says:

"I wrote dream on and stand by that statement. Analyze the two teams that will take the court this year. If you really think stories about the big red 40 years ago has any relevance to this years game, there is nothing more to write."

I do not believe Cornell will be shaken by Dukies' diving on the floor. Cameron is a difficult place to come and play, and, as I said at the outset, Duke is the superior club. Does that mean that the game will be a blowout, or that Duke is a lock? If you are sure, then there is, as you say, "nothing more to write."

When I was in college, the principal difference between the top Ivies and the best of the best was depth. Period. That was the list.

It seems to me that that probably is again the case.

K has 11 guys (counting McClure) and needs only 2 or 3 to be on their games to probably beat Cornell. I'm guessing that, if Cornell's top 3 are not at their best, they got no chance. If all 5 are rocking and they have something off the bench, who knows?

In the end, I find your "dream on" response to my unwillingness to sell out my boyz before the fact, sight unseen, unthoughtful. It disappoints.

BTW, what has Duke done this year so far that deserves all this hubris on your part? We all are optimistic, but games must be played. That is the fun part, watching teams, hopefully competive ones, play. Right?

Having an editor Ain't All It's Cracked Up to Be

Wow, my own personal editor. The second time someone started a thread for me giving it an entirely misleading name.

See, this whole bit started when I posted a response to what Dukies wrongly perceived as criticism, ney trolling, at all the diving that took place during a rout of a second rate club the other night. I was poking fun at what I thought were some silly postulates about all the diving on the floor that we saw from Dukies. Among other things, I teased that the next little to come to Cameron ought to pay Don Channey to sit on the bench. Case any of you have forgotten, Channey sent a henchman onto the court to break some dude's arm when the other team was trying to intimidate his and the refs were letting it go. I ended that I hoped by boyz from Ithaca were listening.

Just good hearted making fun of what I saw as silly rationales being put forth for what I saw as silly risky behavior that could be taken as provocation and give the Dukies more than they bargained for. That part my new editor left out.

Then came the onslaught about how Cornell didn't have a chance, shouldn't bother even showing up. Now, I could have gotten serious like I did at the end, but I decided to continue with a little mirth. Ended up Devil77 was so embued with his take that Duke is a new and much improved team that he trashed my defense of my alma mater. That is how I got my name on a new thread--by my having mentioned Ithaca in an aside in an otherwise humorous piece refutting the notion that anything good from Duke's perspective could come from all this unseemly diving around.

So, this thread should actually read something like: "Greybeard asks, 'What's up with all the diving; Nobody, least of all the Big Red; is gonna phased by a bunch of Dukies diving around the floor;'" and offers silliness on silliness in a failed attempt to blunt the way too serious defenses offered by some Dukies to a phantom attack on their boyz and their leader""

Now that I could live with.

Having editors can be fun, but you got to put checks on them. Me, I have served as my boy's uninvited, unpaid, secret and unwanted unofficial ombudsman for years. He actually is tickled and impressed with some of my unsolicted comments; even has been known to put them on the air on occasion. He has that choice. He can also deep six them. Ain't he the lucky one.

BTW, Greg Morris was a 6 foot guard. I'd remember the Kentucky game and not take Cornell too lightly. But, then again, I ought to remember the third of WC's three rules and leave youz on your own.