Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy 75th Anniversary Jimmy and Rosalynn!

A stunning achievement (in longevity and just gettin' along), obviously a Presidential record (though H.W. and Barb came close).

On my way back from my pilgrimage to Graceland in '93, I made a spontaneous detour through Plains. It just happened to be Sunday morning, and a local told me I should mosey over to the church and I just might see Jimmy. Small, simple country church and not very crowded, and sure enough Jimmy came in and said a few words. He apologized that he couldn't stay for the service but had to be on the road to somewhere. Rosalynn stood in the back (front?) and beamed at him. If only we could all find a love like that.

Anyway, Congratulations!

I have gotten to speak with the Carters a number of times working on Habitat projects over the years. To say they are kind and humble people is an understatement. Oh, to somehow return to the days when most people involved in national politics possessed the character, humility, and manners of the Carters . . .

A truly remarkable milestone, and a real credit to the two of them.

I spent a week in Americus GA (Habitat HQ, near Plains) my junior year spring break, and got to meet POTUS #39 on the Sunday morning of the week there. He taught Sunday school, seasoning his lesson with no small amount of middle east history*. After Sunday school and the service, he graciously met visitors outside the church and, along with Rosalynn, patiently posed for pictures with anyone interested. I was content just to shake his hand. He looked old even then, and this was 33 years ago. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover!

* For all his perceived shortcomings as POTUS, no one really questioned his intellect (or character - good point tommy). Thus ... who remembers Dan Ackroyd in Ask President Carter ?
    https://youtu.be/-68iTvhWNB0?t=155

"Peter, what did the acid look like? ... OK, you've taken some Orange Sunshine."

President Carter spoke at my Duke graduation (1997) as his grandson was in my class.

Congratulations to him and Rosalynn on this milestone. Regardless of their political beliefs, we need more genuinely good people like President Carter in politics (and the world in general) today.

Our own Judy Woodruff interviews the Carters for the occasion of their 75th.

https://video.wucftv.org/video/the-carters-1625515970/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    President Carter spoke at my Duke graduation (1997) as his grandson was in my class.

Congratulations to him and Rosalynn on this milestone. Regardless of their political beliefs, we need more genuinely good people like President Carter in politics (and the world in general) today.
    Class of 97 here, too! Chatted with him at the Washington Duke afterwards for a minute, and he was just lovely.

I long for the days of decency in American leadership. Hopefully we continue to get back on that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Class of 97 here, too! Chatted with him at the Washington Duke afterwards for a minute, and he was just lovely.

I long for the days of decency in American leadership. Hopefully we continue to get back on that path.
    I hate to say, but "decency" seems the aberration rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hate to say, but "decency" seems the aberration rather than the rule.
    Really? Setting all politics aside, I’d argue Carter, Reagan, both Bushes, Obama and Biden have all been decent to others on a personal level.

This is not a chastisement, but please let's not get this thread locked down and just celebrate the Carters.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is not a chastisement, but please let's not get this thread locked down and just celebrate the Carters.
    Peanuts are my least favorite nut. Fight me.

Happy Anniversary Carters

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Some commencement history - I worked at Duke graduations for twenty + years. I witnessed only two times that the crowd grew completely still and quiet and listened to the speaker: curiously when Ted Koppel spoke and again for Jimmy Carter. Carter famously did not give commencement speeches having only done so at the military academies. Duke asked him several times and were turned down. The year he spoke we had to go to him as second on the list and only because his grandson was graduating. He was pleased to accept. After the ceremony a member of the platform party gave me the notes he had left on the rostrum - it was an envelope with only five words written on the back. He gave that spellbinding speech with only five subjects noted as guidance.

C'mon now. How can you dislike a nut that is so easy to get to? Versus, say, a brazil nut. Or walnuts, the only purpose of that pick on gram's coffee table was to try and pry the nuts out of the chambers. I have an aversion to any food that requires more calories to eat than it provides.

Boiled peanuts, however...

Quote Originally Posted by wncgrad View Post
    Some commencement history - I worked at Duke graduations for twenty + years. I witnessed only two times that the crowd grew completely still and quiet and listened to the speaker: curiously when Ted Koppel spoke and again for Jimmy Carter. Carter famously did not give commencement speeches having only done so at the military academies. Duke asked him several times and were turned down. The year he spoke we had to go to him as second on the list and only because his grandson was graduating. He was pleased to accept. After the ceremony a member of the platform party gave me the notes he had left on the rostrum - it was an envelope with only five words written on the back. He gave that spellbinding speech with only five subjects noted as guidance.
    Good story. Who was first, and did they give a reason for declining? And did Jimmy know he was second choice?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    C'mon now. How can you dislike a nut that is so easy to get to? Versus, say, a brazil nut. Or walnuts, the only purpose of that pick on gram's coffee table was to try and pry the nuts out of the chambers. I have an aversion to any food that requires more calories to eat than it provides.

Boiled peanuts, however...
    Peanuts are legumes.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Peanuts are legumes.
    That’s why it’s my least favorite nut. It’s a liar!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    That’s why it’s my least favorite nut. It’s a liar!
    Probably why it’s so popular over in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by wncgrad View Post
    I don't recall the speech being particularly great. I thought it was fine. Not bad, but nothing super inspiring either. I do recall him saying "I'm going to speak about five words" though I don't recall what they were. A family member recorded much of it so I think I have it on a VHS tape somewhere, which now doesn't do me much good.

I'm not saying this to disrespect President Carter - he is an incredible human being and I was very honored to have him speak at my graduation. Just wanted to give my perspective. I was a distant acquaintance of his grandson Jason and he seemed like a good guy, but I didn't have a lot of interactions with him.

I worked with a woman who was a political appointee at one of the Federal departments— she was also the daughter of a Georgia peanut farmer and knew the Carters well. She said they were genuinely kind to her and her family. I believed her.

Had the good fortune to watch him give a talk at his library in Atlanta some years ago. He stayed and engaged the audience for some time after.

Had to dig a little to resuscitate this thread, but they made it to 77 years last week. Jimmy has been in hospice for about 4 months now so this will probably be their last anniversary. But he's been counted out before, so I won't give up on him. 77 years of marriage, just imagine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/preside...g-anniversary/
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Had to dig a little to resuscitate this thread, but they made it to 77 years last week. Jimmy has been in hospice for about 4 months now so this will probably be their last anniversary. But he's been counted out before, so I won't give up on him. 77 years of marriage, just imagine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/preside...g-anniversary/
    Pretty incredible. I hope when he does pass, it’s a good moment for the nation just as when GWB passed.