Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Jim Sumner's WBB Preview (Part I).

“I’ve only coached four games, so I don’t know if I have a philosophy on anything,” Lawson quipped on Duke women’s basketball media day. Lawson was being more than a little disingenuous, of course, because she immediately followed that with numerous references to installing her system and it’s hard to have much of a system unless you have a
    philosophy.

Fun read. Thanks, Jim!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While an excellent player, I have doubts that Griner would have been a good fit with Duke.
    Shoot, I can see her on that tractor now, wearing bib overalls and a checkered blouse, dreadlocks hanging down below a bright blue scarf, and a stalk of wheat hanging out of her mouth!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Jim Sumner's WBB Preview (Part II), with a rundown of the new members.

Thanks again, Jim!

-jk

My daughter says she will watch the women’s games with me this year when available. I have ACC Network through YouTubeTV, but the upcoming games all say “TBD”. It’s been a few years since I’ve tuned in for games. Will some/most be shown on the ACC Network? Can I stream through ESPN? I would hate to waste this opportunity to rope my daughter into watching sports with me.

I’m really excited for the true start of the Kara Era, but you will understand if my real motivation is getting my daughter to actually watch with me. The men haven’t really caught her attention.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    My daughter says she will watch the women’s games with me this year when available. I have ACC Network through YouTubeTV, but the upcoming games all say “TBD”. It’s been a few years since I’ve tuned in for games. Will some/most be shown on the ACC Network? Can I stream through ESPN? I would hate to waste this opportunity to rope my daughter into watching sports with me.

I’m really excited for the true start of the Kara Era, but you will understand if my real motivation is getting my daughter to actually watch with me. The men haven’t really caught her attention.
    I plan to watch most of the DWBB games this year and I see the TV coverage is shown on the published schedule at https://goduke.com/documents/2021/9/...B_Schedule.pdf

It shows that most of the DWBB games are on either ACCN or ACCNX with an occasional game on either ESPN+ or RSN. There may be updates which are provided on goduke.com. It should be fun!

Emma Schmidt

New Walk on from TCU and a native of Iowa. Degree in Actuarial Science and getting a Masters in Statistical Sciences. Emma may be a CEO candidate in the not too distant future.
    https://goduke.com/sports/womens-bas...-schmidt/17948
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/10/25/w...ll-roster.aspx

Tickets are now available for the Maggie Dixon Classic on 11/21 at TCU’s Schollmaier Arena. Duke - Alabama at 1:00 p.m. Central, followed by TCU- Cheats.

Hope to see a bunch of y’all there. If you see someone in a black Duke Lacrosse hoodie, that’s probably me.

Kiki Rice, the only top-10 recruit left on the board (#2), makes her decision tomorrow.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...ommitment-date

I will be very surprised if it's not Duke or Stanford. Duke is on the rise, but Stanford is already on the top (defending champion). At Duke she would be joining the #3 shooting guard and #7 forward, but at Stanford the #1 post. Next year it is possible Duke will be thin in the frontcourt, but I would expect Kara to pick up a really good big from the portal next year (it's the way of the world now). More importantly, Duke has made the short list of the top 2 posts in the 2023 class, both top-5 overall (plus the top wing, #6 overall).

I think it comes down to 2 things. First, does she want to be just another name at a school, or does she want to be the transformational player in a program that potentially gets them their first national championship? I would bet that if Kiki chooses Duke one of those top posts would follow, as would much other top-10 talent. There are no guarantees (heck, UConn hasn't won in 5 years) but she would certainly have Duke competing for that 1st natty.

Second, distance. RDU is a 1-hour flight from D.C., and SFO is 6 hours...if you can get a non-stop. SFO is also about 7X more expensive.

I say she picks Duke.

The article says the decision comes at 3 P.M. MST, which is 5 P.M. EST, which is 4 P.M. EDT. I think.

P.S. Duke is the only one of the five finalists to have a game (exhibition) tomorrow. A good harbinger, I believe.
    Last edited by dudog84; 11-03-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Kiki Rice, the only top-10 recruit left on the board (#2), makes her decision tomorrow.

I say she picks Duke.
    I find your arguments very convincing. I'm sure hoping she does, too!

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...ommitment-date

I will be very surprised if it's not Duke or Stanford. Duke is on the rise, but Stanford is already on the top (defending champion). At Duke she would be joining the #3 shooting guard and #7 forward, but at Stanford the #1 post. Next year it is possible Duke will be thin in the frontcourt, but I would expect Kara to pick up a really good big from the portal next year (it's the way of the world now). More importantly, Duke has made the short list of the top 2 posts in the 2023 class, both top-5 overall (plus the top wing, #6 overall).

I think it comes down to 2 things. First, does she want to be just another name at a school, or does she want to be the transformational player in a program that potentially gets them their first national championship? I would bet that if Kiki chooses Duke one of those top posts would follow, as would much other top-10 talent. There are no guarantees (heck, UConn hasn't won in 5 years) but she would certainly have Duke competing for that 1st natty.

Second, distance. RDU is a 1-hour flight from D.C., and SFO is 6 hours...if you can get a non-stop. SFO is also about 7X more expensive.

I say she picks Duke.

The article says the decision comes at 3 P.M. MST, which is 5 P.M. EST, which is 4 P.M. EDT. I think.

P.S. Duke is the only one of the five finalists to have a game (exhibition) tomorrow. A good harbinger, I believe.
    I'm not sure I necessarily buy all of your rationalizations, but duke certainly has a better shot at her than they did Azzi Fudd, whom many here suggested would also be Lawson's first big recruit.

I'll be happy if she ends up at uconn or duke. and sad if she ends up anywhere else. Uconn is crowded right now, and geno has a history of "K"ing his rotation down (though there are generally many garbage minutes in 3/4q of games)...i'm actually concerned about his ability to manage minutes this year (but I'd prefer that to having barely enough players last year)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm not sure I necessarily buy all of your rationalizations, but duke certainly has a better shot at her than they did Azzi Fudd, whom many here suggested would also be Lawson's first big recruit.

I'll be happy if she ends up at uconn or duke. and sad if she ends up anywhere else. Uconn is crowded right now, and geno has a history of "K"ing his rotation down (though there are generally many garbage minutes in 3/4q of games)...i'm actually concerned about his ability to manage minutes this year (but I'd prefer that to having barely enough players last year)
    That's another good argument against UConn. Who wants to play a bunch of garbage games? I think it's hurt them (yeah, they're not cryin'). When you have a Breanna Stewart it doesn't matter, but teams need that seasoning. The ACC is tough and deep. It's been decades since I competed, but I still remember the anticipation and thrill of competing against good teams was so much greater than against a patsy. Otherwise it's just a slog of practices...we talking about practice, man!

Georgia Tech just announced that Kierra Fletcher will redshirt this season following foot surgery.

Big loss for the Jackets.

"Georgia Tech women’s basketball senior guard Kierra Fletcher will redshirt the 2021-22 season for medical reasons.

The fifth-year guard will undergo surgery in the coming weeks for a foot injury. A four-year starter for the Yellow Jackets, Fletcher averaged 13.0 points per game as the team’s second-leading scorer last season, helping Georgia Tech reach the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

“It is so unfortunate that Kierra Fletcher is once again going through problems with her feet and it’s something she’s battled for a couple years now,” said head coach Nell Fortner. “Surgery is inevitable and we hate that she is going to lose a year over it, but she will bounce back from this and hopefully be a basketball player once again.”

That's another good argument against UConn. Who wants to play a bunch of garbage games? I think it's hurt them (yeah, they're not cryin'). When you have a Breanna Stewart it doesn't matter, but teams need that seasoning. The ACC is tough and deep. It's been decades since I competed, but I still remember the anticipation and thrill of competing against good teams was so much greater than against a patsy. Otherwise it's just a slog of practices...we talking about practice, man!
    When they were back in the big east when it was stronger, it didn't matter all that much. in their last 5 years before the breakup, they lost exactly 1 league to someone other than ND. I think their loss to arkansas this year was their first loss to someone outside the top 10 in nearly 10 years. I'm sure geno would love to get another couple top games on the schedule, but he loads up the OOC so it's close enough.
    April 1

Could be a big day for DWBB. But not do or die. Though we've only seen 4 games from de Jesus (and none from Day-Wilson), I believe they are far more than competent at the point. That said, landing the #2 recruit in Kara's first real class would create a nice buzz. Let's hope.

Could be a big day for DWBB. But not do or die. Though we've only seen 4 games from de Jesus (and none from Day-Wilson), I believe they are far more than competent at the point. That said, landing the #2 recruit in Kara's first real class would create a nice buzz. Let's hope.
    do we know what time her announcement is?
    April 1

do we know what time her announcement is?
    3 pm today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    3 pm today.
    note looks like it's 3pm MST, so 5pm EST, but we are currently in EDT, which is 6pm....

So I suppose it will happen sometime in a 4 hour window...
    April 1

note looks like it's 3pm MST, so 5pm EST, but we are currently in EDT, which is 6pm...

So I suppose it will happen sometime in a 4 hour window...
    Thanks!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    A reminder that the CURRENT team plays in public with fans in attendance for the first time in almost two years tonight at seven against Wingate.

Free admission and parking in the science drive deck off of NC 751.

Anyone want to try to predict our starting lineup tonight?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide