Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 750
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Video of Kara and Jade at ACC Media Day:

    https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=11422&type=Archive

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    The price of (successful) head women's basketball coaches just went up.

    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ract-extension

    Staley gets $22.4M over 7 years.

  3. #83
    WHY are they paying so much for coaches for programs that will always lose money - men's or women's? Because someone else is is not a reason, it is an excuse. This is insanity - but there is a lot of that going around.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    WHY are they paying so much for coaches for programs that will always lose money - men's or women's? Because someone else is is not a reason, it is an excuse. This is insanity - but there is a lot of that going around.
    Could it be that Women's sports carry some value beyond simply the Title 9 requirments and any revenue they generate? Most colleges place value on the success of their Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball, etc for school pride, social status and bragging rights. The salary of those coaches may not be based on revenue, but on instrinic value to the school.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Could it be that Women's sports carry some value beyond simply the Title 9 requirments and any revenue they generate? Most colleges place value on the success of their Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball, etc for school pride, social status and bragging rights. The salary of those coaches may not be based on revenue, but on instrinic value to the school.
    Along those lines, a lot of businesses like to hire ex female athletes as well as male athletes...competitive people and all that...

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Anyone know why the DWBB team was not introduced during CTC? Every year, I've always enjoyed the introduction of the DWBB team. There was not even a mention of the team this year. I was at least looking forward to seeing them introduce the other Coach K.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Researchc View Post
    Anyone know why the DWBB team was not introduced during CTC? Every year, I've always enjoyed the introduction of the DWBB team. There was not even a mention of the team this year. I was at least looking forward to seeing them introduce the other Coach K.
    Huh- that is a surprise.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Researchc View Post
    Anyone know why the DWBB team was not introduced during CTC? Every year, I've always enjoyed the introduction of the DWBB team. There was not even a mention of the team this year. I was at least looking forward to seeing them introduce the other Coach K.
    This year more than ever, with all the transfers, they needed introduction to Duke basketball fans.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This year more than ever, with all the transfers, they needed introduction to Duke basketball fans.
    Well, that's true. On the other hand:

    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you sit around, they show a bunch of pump up videos, each player comes out to some song and dance, they play for a few minutes, maybe coach or one of the players says a few words and that's it. All intermixed with a bunch of wise chips sorting challenges or whatever. Sometimes the women's team pleads for you to go to their games.

    Sorry, that's the cynics view of the event I know others enjoy it more and I hope you do. Definitely something to go to...at least once...
    But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post



    But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.
    I'd certainly be cool with that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, that's true. On the other hand:



    But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.
    UConn holds a joint m/w midnight madness, or whatever. the interest is, tbf, far more equal there, though.

    i can see not wanting to do what the women used to here, though.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    UConn holds a joint m/w midnight madness, or whatever. the interest is, tbf, far more equal there, though.

    i can see not wanting to do what the women used to here, though.
    Yeah, it's different if both teams do a one-by-one intro and get a scrimmage, even if the women go first. But I'm hoping the entirely one-way treatment will become a thing of the past. But, as always, that will depend on success on the court, and so far, there is still a lot for the women to prove.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, that's true. On the other hand:



    But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.

    I had that same thought and hope that played into the decision as well. But the thing that separates those programs from others is their fan base, so it would make sense for them to work to build that up in any way possible. If I lived closer to Durham, I would love to attend more of their games.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Researchc View Post
    I had that same thought and hope that played into the decision as well. But the thing that separates those programs from others is their fan base, so it would make sense for them to work to build that up in any way possible. If I lived closer to Durham, I would love to attend more of their games.
    the women's team used to be a reasonable draw...it turns out not bringing Uconn to town and having a team that's...not performing...doesn't do great to encourage attendance.

    I'm hoping we get back to that. I for sure will try to get to USC and NCSU at the very least.
    basketball is back, baby!

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Piedmont Triad
    Does anyone know why there isn't a Blue-White game this year? I was really looking forward to seeing the team in October.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The women's AP poll is out. No mention of Duke, which mildly surprises me, but only very mildly since this team is truly unknown as a collective. Individually, though, I would think there is enough talent to merit a vote or two at least.

    That being said, the ACC reps are

    NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

    Notre Dame has 8 votes

    Future OOC opponents on the list include (In order of appearance on the schedule)

    Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The women's AP poll is out. No mention of Duke, which mildly surprises me, but only very mildly since this team is truly unknown as a collective. Individually, though, I would think there is enough talent to merit a vote or two at least.

    That being said, the ACC reps are

    NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

    Notre Dame has 8 votes

    Future OOC opponents on the list include (In order of appearance on the schedule)

    Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    hard to give votes to a team which didn't play last year (effectively), and has had pretty much100% turnover since they last played meaningful basketball.

    Duke will have to earn this on the court.

    Also FWIW, if uconn stays healthy, I think they run the table...but we will see.
    basketball is back, baby!

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The women's AP poll is out. No mention of Duke, which mildly surprises me, but only very mildly since this team is truly unknown as a collective. Individually, though, I would think there is enough talent to merit a vote or two at least.

    That being said, the ACC reps are

    NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

    Notre Dame has 8 votes

    Future OOC opponents on the list include (In order of appearance on the schedule)

    Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Tsk tsk. Has #17 Georgia Tech dropped out of the ACC?

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

    Duke will have to earn this on the court.
    As it should be. Bring on the season - can't wait.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Tsk tsk. Has #17 Georgia Tech dropped out of the ACC?
    They were trying out camouflage unis. They work great!

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 MLB Season
    By CameronDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1015
    Last Post: 10-18-2021, 11:39 AM
  2. DWBB 2020-21 Season
    By DU82 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 385
    Last Post: 07-05-2021, 06:18 PM
  3. Lax: The 2021 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 970
    Last Post: 06-07-2021, 09:31 PM
  4. 2019-20 DWBB Season
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1505
    Last Post: 06-27-2020, 08:41 AM
  5. DWBB: 2018 Season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 640
    Last Post: 04-18-2018, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •