Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wonder if there is any interest in her HS teammate, Latasha Lattimore, who also decommitted from Syracuse.

Lattimore was a 6-foot-4 five star forward who picked Syracuse over Cal, UCLA, Florida, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Baylor and Tennessee, according to ESPNW. She was ranked as the 6th best player at her position in the 2021 class.
    https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/...ommit-syracuse
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Scorer's mentality. Sorry for the typo.
    Pedantic about your own post. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wonder if there is any interest in her HS teammate, Latasha Lattimore, who also decommitted from Syracuse.

Well, the two of them did originally commit to Syracuse simultaneously. Package deal?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Lattimore commited to Texas on Friday, so they both waited until the last minute but ended up in different programs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Lattimore commited to Texas on Friday, so they both waited until the last minute but ended up in different programs.
    Thanks for the update. It's interesting that both chose schools that weren't on their original lists.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke has picked up a very late recruit for this year, a former Syracuse commit Shayeann Day-Wilson of Canada, a 5'5" point guard with a scorers mentality. She is ranked#41 by ESPN.

https://twitter.com/Shydw4/status/1428553289574977537
    Write-up today on Duke's website.
    A 5-6 point guard, Day-Wilson is the No. 41 recruit in the Class of 2021 and is considered Canada's top point guard.

"We're very excited to add Shy to our program," said Lawson. "She's coming off recent international experience playing for Canada in the FIBA U19 World Cup. Shy is a dynamic guard who brings a high-level of skill and athleticism to the position. She is somebody that is competitive and wants to win. It's a perfect fit for all of the players that we already have on our roster. She is a freshman that is going to come in and contribute to our team."
    "I chose Duke because of Coach Kara," said Day-Wilson. "I felt like she could help me develop my game, take it to the next level and become that player I want to become. Also, she could help me not only grow as a player but as a person as well and that's extremely important to me. I'm really excited to play for Coach Kara as well as for the opportunity to represent Duke. It'll be a great experience and I'll learn a lot."
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/9/2/wom...-campaign.aspx

I think I liked this info from the article the best:

Day-Wilson will join a Duke roster that includes a total of nine newcomers for the 2021-22 season, including five Jordan Brand Classic selections, four McDonald's All-Americans, the 2019 ACC Freshman of the Year and four USA Basketball gold medals.
    BTW, after not doing profiles of the newcomers for a few weeks (and I lost track), it appears all the newcomers (except Day-Wilson) now have a profile up on The Chronicle.

They've finally released the non-conference schedule. Big home game with South Carolina on 12/15. It's been a very long time since the Gamecocks' acrimonious departure from the ACC but I'm nearly certain that the Duke men's basketball team and football team haven't scheduled South Carolina since then. The men's team has played USC in the NCAA tournament and maybe in some other tournament but no home and home. I don't know about the women's basketball team.
    Women.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    They've finally released the non-conference schedule. Big home game with South Carolina on 12/15. It's been a very long time since the Gamecocks' acrimonious departure from the ACC but I'm nearly certain that the Duke men's basketball team and football team haven't scheduled South Carolina since then. The men's team has played USC in the NCAA tournament and maybe in some other tournament but no home and home. I don't know about the women's basketball team.
    Women.jpg
    South Carolina and Duke have a history in women's basketball, playing often. The last time they played was in 2019 and Duke got drubbed, 89-46. That's right, we lost by 43 points!

We've played them every year since 2014, skipping 2018 due to lousy weather. (If I remember correctly. Lousy roads kept both the players and the busloads of fans at home in Columbia.)
    https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/w...-university/68

Overall, that schedule is disappointing in that South Carolina is the only real marquee matchup.

South Carolina and Duke have a history in women's basketball, playing often. The last time they played was in 2019 and Duke got drubbed, 89-46. That's right, we lost by 43 points!

We've played them every year since 2014, skipping 2018 due to lousy weather. (If I remember correctly. Lousy roads kept both the players and the busloads of fans at home in Columbia.)
    https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/w...-university/68

Overall, that schedule is disappointing in that South Carolina is the only real marquee matchup.
    Not sure your definition of marquee is, but Iowa is a probable top 10 preseason team, with one of the leading contenders for NPOY on board. I think that will be a fun matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Not sure your definition of marquee is, but Iowa is a probable top 10 preseason team, with one of the leading contenders for NPOY on board. I think that will be a fun matchup.
    You are totally correct, my bad. That helps.
    I do think Penn will be a good game, but it's hard to know if they will be the same caliber team that they were when they last played 2 years ago. (Duke played them then, too, and won 66-50)

people have short memories given their game vs uconn was one of the most hyped games of the tournament with clark v beuckers
    1200. DDMF.

And Alabama made the 2nd round of the NCAA's last year (beating uNC in the 1st), but no idea who they have coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And Alabama made the 2nd round of the NCAA's last year (beating uNC in the 1st), but no idea who they have coming back.
    winning a game in the NCAAW doesn't necessarily a marquee program make. the parity falls off pretty quickly once you get outside the top dozen teams or so.
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Women.jpg
    Duke and SC played football often in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    winning a game in the NCAAW doesn't necessarily a marquee program make. the parity falls off pretty quickly once you get outside the top dozen teams or so.
    I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to imply they were marquee (although that was the OP, so my bad), just that they were a good team. Certainly not Little Brothers of the Poor. If you're in a strong conference, you typically don't play more than 3 or 4 good teams (and at most 2 marquee teams) OOC. Uconn has to schedule big OOC since they're in a crap conference and they're the only one who does year-to-year.

Lots and lots of new pieces. I’m okay after basically not playing last year to get 6-7 games to work out the kinks and establish roles before acc season starts.

I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to imply they were marquee (although that was the OP, so my bad), just that they were a good team. Certainly not Little Brothers of the Poor. If you're in a strong conference, you typically don't play more than 3 or 4 good teams (and at most 2 marquee teams) OOC. Uconn has to schedule big OOC since they're in a crap conference and they're the only one who does year-to-year.
    even when they were in the "old" big east, they would still schedule big...just because from their perspective, there are only a couple of other schools out there who are relevant in any given year, so a game against ND wasn't going to cut it much (or later the one against UL as well).
    1200. DDMF.

You are totally correct, my bad. That helps.
    I do think Penn will be a good game, but it's hard to know if they will be the same caliber team that they were when they last played 2 years ago. (Duke played them then, too, and won 66-50)
    I do know they lost their best player to grad transfer (she ended up at UVA), but they are always a solid team. I can't remember Duke ever having a easy game with them.

They lost their leading scorer to grad transfer (Baylor) and another player who was a top 10 pick in the WNBA. I'm sure they will be predicted to finish in the bottom tier of the SEC. One interesting note... Lexi Gordon's younger sister plays for the Tide. Unless of course she has transferred over the summer.

Looking forward to the Bama game; Fort Worth is an easy road trip from the Austin area.

Will have to stay and root for the Horned Frogs in the second game. They’re playing the Cheats.