Page 66 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2291
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Finally, while there are exceptions, most first rate coaches in whatever sport were not the best players in those sports during their playing days. (I know there are exceptions.) Lawson was the best of the best on the court. Sometimes when you have that much talent the game just comes naturally. Maybe she needs to step back a iittle and tailor her offense to the talents she has, rather than the talents she has.
    Yes, I wish she could "Taylor" her offense.

Yes, I'll be here all week.

But good point about most coaches not having been the best players. I remember when Ted Williams was trying to become a major-league manager and he simply could not understand that ordinary human beings didn't have his eyesight, his hand-eye coordination, his single-minded devotion to the craft of hitting a baseball and he kept expecting them to be able to do things that came easily to him but were beyond their capabilities.
    Last edited by -jk; 01-23-2022 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I like Camion's advice to you on that post.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yogi

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But good point about most coaches not having been the best players. I remember when Ted Williams was trying to become a major-league manager and he simply could not understand that ordinary human beings didn't have his eyesight, his hand-eye coordination, his single-minded devotion to the craft of hitting a baseball and he kept expecting them to be able to do things that came easily to him but were beyond their capabilities.
    Yogi Berra was much more understanding. He knew that other players were not as good as he was, and also that he couldn’t explain how to hit properly. So during practice he would say, Oh, just watch me, and then step up to the plate and show them how it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    LOL. But they are missing a player or two.
    As were we. On the ACCN broadcast, Jenn Hildreth (who IMO is much improved over a few seasons ago) noted that Duke has not had its full roster available for a single conference game. Yesterday it was Taylor and Goodchild, two players that we rely on for both performance and leadership.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke stays put at 21 in today's poll. The Heels finally get exposed and fall out of the top 25.

ACC notables

NCSU #3
    Louisville #5
    GT #14
    ND #20
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Day-Wilson named ACC Freshman of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    As were we. On the ACCN broadcast, Jenn Hildreth (who IMO is much improved over a few seasons ago) noted that Duke has not had its full roster available for a single conference game. Yesterday it was Taylor and Goodchild, two players that we rely on for both performance and leadership.
    Thanks for the roster info. I had no idea.

This is a pointless sidebar to my point that Duke will need to elevate its game to beat the many teams on its schedule better than the UVA team it beat yesterday. And the rematch will be on the road. I'm sure Jenn would agree that winning on the road is more difficult in the aggregate than winning at home.

Class of 2022 commit Ashlon Jackson, a 5'10" G from Texas, was named to the McDonald's All-American Game!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Class of 2022 commit Ashlon Jackson, a 5'10" G from Texas, was named to the McDonald's All-American Game!
    Awesome! Thanks for the update, that's great news!

In the befuddlement category of the day, Carolina is still loved by voting coaches everywhere, not only staying in the top 25 of their increasingly useless poll, but also staying above Duke. (22 and 23)

Dear coaches, THEY HAVE LOST TO EVERY RANKED TEAM THEY HAVE PLAYED!

I sure do hope we are fully healthy (aside from Taylor) Thursday night. I really, really, really don't want us to be the first.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the update, that's great news!

In the befuddlement category of the day, Carolina is still loved by voting coaches everywhere, not only staying in the top 25 of their increasingly useless poll, but also staying above Duke. (22 and 23)

Dear coaches, THEY HAVE LOST TO EVERY RANKED TEAM THEY HAVE PLAYED!

I sure do hope we are fully healthy (aside from Taylor) Thursday night. I really, really, really don't want us to be the first.
    Maybe I’m just optimistic, but watching pregame on Sunday, Celeste was passing well using both arms. Hoping that means she’s close to playing again (the cone of silence still hasn’t actually let out what her (obvious?) injury or recover time is, or did I miss an announcement?)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Maybe I’m just optimistic, but watching pregame on Sunday, Celeste was passing well using both arms. Hoping that means she’s close to playing again (the cone of silence still hasn’t actually let out what her (obvious?) injury or recover time is, or did I miss an announcement?)
    No announcement on Taylor. Fingers crossed.

Here's the complete list of Mickie D's.

https://usatodayhss.com/2022/2022-gi...ster-announced

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Nice to have one McD AA, but we need more than one to be Top 10.

Here's some details on Ashlon Jackson:
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...tball-recruits
    PG Ashlon Jackson
    Hardin Jefferson HS (Texas)
    2022 espnW 100 ranking: 16
    Signed with: Duke
    Jackson shows some real competitive fire. Her forte is the range on her 3-ball, but she has also become adept at navigating ball screens for scoring or facilitating. Jackson has leadership intangibles that draw teams together. Look for her to continue to grow under Kara Lawson at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Thanks so much for that info! Benefit to being there in Cameron unlike me on the couch. Adding my crossed fingers to Jim's.

Zoom with Lawson today.

No update on injuries and/or illnesses. This is the world we live in.

Nothing else earth-shattering. Lawson is aware of the nature of the rivalry and sees some extra energy. but Duke trying to maintain an even keel and play one game at a time.

Lawson pleased with defense but acknowledges that offense needs work. Says that Duke can shoot better.

Like I said, nothing earth shattering. But I thought I would pass it along.

Gameday...GTHC!!!

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this game. Damn, we need all our players back.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I have only good vibes. The groovy Shelly Belle and Phrenetic Phil are joining me in marvelous Mebane at the local Cracker Barrel, where we will dine before heading on down to Cameron Indoor Stadium this eve. Perhaps only CB&B will understand that one of the group will almost undoubtedly have some bacon.

May the mighty Blue Devils grind up the UNC contingent into little pieces of tar-stained heel.

GTHC, GTH!!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I have only good vibes. The groovy Shelly Belle and Phrenetic Phil are joining me in marvelous Mebane at the local Cracker Barrel, where we will dine before heading on down to Cameron Indoor Stadium this eve. Perhaps only CB&B will understand that one of the group will almost undoubtedly have some bacon.

May the mighty Blue Devils grind up the UNC contingent into little pieces of tar-stained heel.

GTHC, GTH!!!
    Wish I could be there with y'all, bring us the win! Too bad Shelly can't bring the bacon in with her.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wish I could be there with y'all, bring us the win! Too bad Shelly can't bring the bacon in with her.
    I wouldn't put it past her.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

GTHC, GTH!!!
    Such a nice sentiment, with a beautiful lilt as I hear it in my imagination. A peaceful warmth surrounds me.