Page 39 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    Duke women's basketball's Lexi Gordon inks WWE name, image and likeness deal
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...we-lexi-gordon
    I did not see that coming. Not surprising to see the Cavinder twins on that list, with their multi-million followers as an already-co-branded set, but I had no idea that Lexi Gordon would be interested. It's basically a self-marketing training program, with a possible opportunity to land a WWE contract at the end of the program. Interesting twist. Smart of WWE to trademark the use of NIL as "Next In Line", given what kind of program it is.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congrats!!

Duke University rookie Shayeann Day-Wilson, along with the Blue Devil women's basketball team, were honored this week by the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA).
    Day-Wilson was tabbed the National Freshman of the Week, while Duke earned the women's national team of the week.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/12/8/wo...rWJLv8hrVmWMis
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quite an honor! So the writers have noticed, now hopefully the coaches will follow!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    #12 Iowa lost to #15 Iowa State tonight in a game they never led. That's 2 out of 3 losses, starting with Duke.
    Our win was still a very good one, but it does take a little of the luster off.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    Duke women's basketball's Lexi Gordon inks WWE name, image and likeness deal
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...we-lexi-gordon
    LOL! You'd think the front page could at least put up a picture of the correct player. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    LOL! You'd think the front page could at least put up a picture of the correct player. Sheesh.
    Dys-Lexi-a.

-jk

You'd be giving the front page far too much credit. (But that is way bad.)
    "Hey, her name is Lexi(e), too...let's use her!"

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ll-kara-lawson

#12 Iowa lost to #15 Iowa State tonight in a game they never led. That's 2 out of 3 losses, starting with Duke.
    Our win was still a very good one, but it does take a little of the luster off.
    I'm not sure it really does. Iowa State was ranked, too, and they came into the game 9-1. The game was pretty close most of the way, and was tied fairly late in the third. Duke's win was more dominant in pretty much every way. I think the result is pretty consistent with the notion that Duke deserves to be solidly ranked. It also avoids the narrative that we just happened to catch Iowa at the right time after their COVID pause.

If Iowa loses a bunch more, that would hurt, sure. But in isolation, I don't think the result removes much of the shine at all.

For those that came late, they had a picture of Lexie Brown with the article. I'm not losing my mind, and glad they fixed it quickly.

For those that came late, they had a picture of Lexie Brown with the article. I'm not losing my mind, and glad they fixed it quickly.
    Is that her in the Blue Devil outfit?

Is that her in the Blue Devil outfit?
    SBN has agreements with picture sources that we can legally use (principally Getty and USA Today, I think). Couldn't find one with Lexi in a Duke outfit. So, yeah, let's go with that: she's modeling the Blue Devil costume.

-jk

GT just knocked off #3 UConn. Tech looked legit good.

First time UConn has been held to under 45 points since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    GT just knocked off #3 UConn. Tech looked legit good.

First time UConn has been held to under 45 points since 2006.
    Wow, that's awesome.

Uconn is riddled with injuries.

But I don't think Geno is going to get much sympathy. From anyone.

Wow, that's awesome.
    At least the women are representing in the ACC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    At least the women are representing in the ACC this year.
    More than the men anyway. Like I posted above, UVA is awful, and VT has issues.

More than the men anyway. Like I posted above, UVA is awful, and VT has issues.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I think you'll agree they still have more talent than all but 10, maybe 5, teams in the country. They put at least four top-5 players (from their respective recruiting classes) on the floor tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Yes.

And, yes.

Since you have been on pins and needles waiting, I'll give you the news that Charlie Creme has moved Duke up to a 5 seed now.
    Also (and this actually is somewhat significant), he's dropped UCONN all the way from a #1 to a 3. It's pretty obvious that Geno has his work cut out for him this year with Bueckers out. We'll get to see just how good a coach he is without his team full of stars; it's been years since we've had that opportunity.