Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Video of Kara and Jade at ACC Media Day:

https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=11422&type=Archive

The price of (successful) head women's basketball coaches just went up.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ract-extension

Staley gets $22.4M over 7 years.

WHY are they paying so much for coaches for programs that will always lose money - men's or women's? Because someone else is is not a reason, it is an excuse. This is insanity - but there is a lot of that going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    WHY are they paying so much for coaches for programs that will always lose money - men's or women's? Because someone else is is not a reason, it is an excuse. This is insanity - but there is a lot of that going around.
    Could it be that Women's sports carry some value beyond simply the Title 9 requirments and any revenue they generate? Most colleges place value on the success of their Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball, etc for school pride, social status and bragging rights. The salary of those coaches may not be based on revenue, but on instrinic value to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Could it be that Women's sports carry some value beyond simply the Title 9 requirments and any revenue they generate? Most colleges place value on the success of their Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball, etc for school pride, social status and bragging rights. The salary of those coaches may not be based on revenue, but on instrinic value to the school.
    Along those lines, a lot of businesses like to hire ex female athletes as well as male athletes...competitive people and all that...

Anyone know why the DWBB team was not introduced during CTC? Every year, I've always enjoyed the introduction of the DWBB team. There was not even a mention of the team this year. I was at least looking forward to seeing them introduce the other Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by Researchc View Post
    Anyone know why the DWBB team was not introduced during CTC? Every year, I've always enjoyed the introduction of the DWBB team. There was not even a mention of the team this year. I was at least looking forward to seeing them introduce the other Coach K.
    Huh- that is a surprise.

This year more than ever, with all the transfers, they needed introduction to Duke basketball fans.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This year more than ever, with all the transfers, they needed introduction to Duke basketball fans.
    Well, that's true. On the other hand:

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you sit around, they show a bunch of pump up videos, each player comes out to some song and dance, they play for a few minutes, maybe coach or one of the players says a few words and that's it. All intermixed with a bunch of wise chips sorting challenges or whatever. Sometimes the women's team pleads for you to go to their games.

Sorry, that's the cynics view of the event I know others enjoy it more and I hope you do. Definitely something to go to...at least once...
    But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

But I'm sort of hoping that the lack of presence at CTC was a calculated move toward standing more on their own as a program, which hopefully will avoid the sentiment expressed in the bolded. I think Coach K(ara) aspires to be more in the UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. mold, where the women's program is an independent leader, and not dependent on being an adjunct to the men. Mind you, I don't know that this was the thinking, but I do hope it at least played a role in that decision.
    I'd certainly be cool with that.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

UConn holds a joint m/w midnight madness, or whatever. the interest is, tbf, far more equal there, though.

i can see not wanting to do what the women used to here, though.

UConn holds a joint m/w midnight madness, or whatever. the interest is, tbf, far more equal there, though.

i can see not wanting to do what the women used to here, though.
    Yeah, it's different if both teams do a one-by-one intro and get a scrimmage, even if the women go first. But I'm hoping the entirely one-way treatment will become a thing of the past. But, as always, that will depend on success on the court, and so far, there is still a lot for the women to prove.

I had that same thought and hope that played into the decision as well. But the thing that separates those programs from others is their fan base, so it would make sense for them to work to build that up in any way possible. If I lived closer to Durham, I would love to attend more of their games.

I had that same thought and hope that played into the decision as well. But the thing that separates those programs from others is their fan base, so it would make sense for them to work to build that up in any way possible. If I lived closer to Durham, I would love to attend more of their games.
    the women's team used to be a reasonable draw...it turns out not bringing Uconn to town and having a team that's...not performing...doesn't do great to encourage attendance.

I'm hoping we get back to that. I for sure will try to get to USC and NCSU at the very least.
    1200. DDMF.

Does anyone know why there isn't a Blue-White game this year? I was really looking forward to seeing the team in October.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The women's AP poll is out. No mention of Duke, which mildly surprises me, but only very mildly since this team is truly unknown as a collective. Individually, though, I would think there is enough talent to merit a vote or two at least.

That being said, the ACC reps are

NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

Notre Dame has 8 votes

Future OOC opponents on the list include (In order of appearance on the schedule)

Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The women's AP poll is out. No mention of Duke, which mildly surprises me, but only very mildly since this team is truly unknown as a collective. Individually, though, I would think there is enough talent to merit a vote or two at least.

NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

Notre Dame has 8 votes

Future OOC opponents on the list include (In order of appearance on the schedule)

Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

hard to give votes to a team which didn't play last year (effectively), and has had pretty much100% turnover since they last played meaningful basketball.

Duke will have to earn this on the court.

Also FWIW, if uconn stays healthy, I think they run the table...but we will see.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

NC State #5
    Louisville #6
    Florida State #16
    Virginia Tech #24

Notre Dame has 8 votes

Iowa #9
    South Carolina #1

Tsk tsk. Has #17 Georgia Tech dropped out of the ACC?

Duke will have to earn this on the court.
    As it should be. Bring on the season - can't wait.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Tsk tsk. Has #17 Georgia Tech dropped out of the ACC?
    They were trying out camouflage unis. They work great!