Page 33 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Excellent watch, thanks for the link!

Coach is very impressive.
    The audio was terrible on my speakers, I had them cranked all the way up and struggled to hear all of her answers, but I'm pretty sure that I did hear her referencing opposing players at least a couple times by their numbers.

Kara needs to be fired, now!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The audio was terrible on my speakers, I had them cranked all the way up and struggled to hear all of her answers, but I'm pretty sure that I did hear her referencing opposing players at least a couple times by their numbers.

Not to worry, I’m sure that she will be cleared after an investigation by HR, but they might make her take a workshop on numerical insensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Not to worry, I’m sure that she will be cleared after an investigation by HR, but they might make her take a workshop on numerical insensitivity.
    LOL and so true!

Yeah, I was amused by that also. Certain heads would explode when another coach used to do that. Wonder what their take is now (actually I don't).

Kudos to Duke for the way they cleaned up their act. Eleven turnovers by the media timeout in Q2, but only six the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, I was amused by that also. Certain heads would explode when another coach used to do that. Wonder what their take is now (actually I don't).
    How would you feel if Wendell was referred to as a Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    How would you feel if Wendell was referred to as a Zero?
    IDK, he seems to like the number.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Kudos to Duke for the way they cleaned up their act. Eleven turnovers by the media timeout in Q2, but only six the rest of the way.
    Only six turnovers for the final 25 minutes of play is remarkable (considering the sloppy start). Hopefully that indiactes they have figured some things out. I was also impressed with the rebounding, on both ends. Free throws in the final minutes was also a plus.

While I would have been thrilled to get Rice or Arnold (we made both their final lists), we are in great position the next 3-1/2 years at point guard with the two-headed beast I call Day-Jesus (I should trademark that!). Vanessa rock-steady (only 11 turnovers in 7 games) and Shayeann just a revelation. I wonder where Shayeann would have been rated if she had gone to a U.S. high school…and thank you Syracuse for parting with your coach.

Re recruiting, I’m much more interested in the two posts in next year’s class, Ciera Toomey and Breya Cunningham, both consensus top-5 talents who have us on their final lists. We’re in good/great shape at the guard positions, but losing our entire frontcourt in the next 2 years. We do have 6-3 Shay Bollin coming in next year, and I bet Kara grabs a big transfer or two as well.

Last night was huge and will grab a lot of attention, Duke is back! Yes it’s only one game, but let me enjoy it. And I agree with Jim, “over-rated” needs to be permanently retired from Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm not sure, to be completely honest, for a couple main reasons. First, while the computers are going to continue to love this win, I don't think the polls will. This was Iowa's first game back from a long pause, and we play a very up-tempo, physical style. Iowa is normally an incredible offensive team (among the very best in the country), and I don't think they shoot 16% from three if they have had a chance to get back to game speed. If this game gets played two weeks from now and they shoot even 30% (basically, like we did), the game looks really different. Caitlin Clark shot an abysmal 1-13 from three, and still managed 22 points. Not to discredit our defense. We are a very good defensive team. But we left plenty of open looks that they just missed. We're good, but I don't think we are normally beat-Iowa-by-15 good.

Second, we will get plenty of chances to prove where we fit in. We've got games against South Carolina (#1), 2x NC State (#3), @Louisville (#10), Notre Dame (#24), and Florida State (#25), already in the current rankings (current AP numbers used here), plus games against 2x Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and 2x uNC from among teams who got poll votes but are currently not ranked. In short, we play in what is probably the very top conference in women's college basketball this year, and we still have the toughest possible non-conference game still left on the schedule, and the ACC tourney. Fortunately for us, the majority of those contests will be at home. But I think by seeding time, this Iowa game will be a distant memory.

I love the result, don't get me wrong. But this team still has a lot to prove, and they will get plenty of chances to do just that. It was a great result. But it's just one solid win among what I hope will be many. Let's not get too far out ahead of this on the strength of one good result, but in the end, I agree: This team's gonna dance.
    No question Duke benefitted from the off night by Iowa- a bit like OSU men did against Duke in the second half. Duke did do some things very well like rebounding and pressuring the ball. All in all it is baby steps with this team. They are learning to play together and Day-Wilson and Taylor are an emerging dynamic duo. This team will get better but there a few reality checks upcoming.

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-caitlin-clark

Shay Bollin

Re recruiting, I’m much more interested in the two posts in next year’s class, Ciera Toomey and Breya Cunningham, both consensus top-5 talents who have us on their final lists. We’re in good/great shape at the guard positions, but losing our entire frontcourt in the next 2 years. We do have 6-3 Shay Bollin coming in next year, and I bet Kara grabs a big transfer or two as well.
    Regarding Shay, this was in the Boston Globe on Nov. 29:

"The 6-foot-3-inch Bollin, a two-time Globe All-Scholastic who led the Trojans to the Division 1 South title in 2020, suffered a patellar subluxation of her left knee in an AAU tournament a few weeks ago that required surgery. She hopes to return to action by the end of February.

According to Laurie Bollin, also the coach of her daughter’s Bay State Jaguars AAU team, a defender slipped on a wet floor and knocked knees with Shay as she was jumping to catch a ball. There were no torn ligaments, but the kneecap slid out of place, and surgery is corrective.

In November 2020, Bollin had elective surgery to correct subluxation issues with her right knee and she did not play in the abbreviated 2020-21 season. She averaged 18.8 points, 10 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.2 steals, and 2.5 blocks per game as a sophomore."

Sounds like she is DWB's analog to AJ Griffin.

It just dawned on me what huge implications tonight has for March. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but even in this early part of the season it's hard not to picture this team dancing.
    The fun (or stressful) part will be seeing where we drift...up or down...in seeding.

The committee will remember tonight.
    FWIW (which is squat) Mr. Creme has had Duke as an 8 since pre-season.
    Ooooh, Mr. Creme has moved us up to a 7!!! I'm not going to link it because I have an even lower opinion of bracketology than you...and yet I looked.

With P, that was merely a symptom of a disease. Kara has no such disease - hence no exploding heads.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    With P, that was merely a symptom of a disease. Kara has no such disease - hence no exploding heads.
    Nice diagnosis, Doctor! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Kara was extremely complimentary of Clark (and iowa's players in general), and referred to her by name. That doesn't sound like someone who is deliberately referring to people by number. As far as I can tell, she referred to them by number exactly once, something like "the offense runs through 22 and 24" which is the context of how you would coach your team to defend them, not talking about how those individuals in general.

But honestly, is someone trying to suggest we're not in better hands right now?

Anyway, my favorite part of the PC was when she said something like "have you ever seen two missed layups in one possession? wide open?" I feel like this is when cut took over duke football and demanded more from the team.
    Last edited by uh_no; 12-03-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Kara was extremely complimentary of Clark (and iowa's players in general), and referred to her by name. That doesn't sound like someone who is deliberately referring to people by number...

According to Jim Sumner's article, Coach Kara referred to Monika Czinano (the player whose name you think she'd know after the way she punished us) by number. And I don't think anyone was saying we're not in better hands. Rather, I think the OP was suggesting some of the things about Coach P that people made a big deal out of perhaps weren't such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    According to Jim Sumner's article, Coach Kara referred to Monika Czinano (the player whose name you think she'd know after the way she punished us) by number. And I don't think anyone was saying we're not in better hands. Rather, I think the OP was suggesting some of the things about Coach P that people made a big deal out of perhaps weren't such a big deal.
    I think the difference is that Coach Kara simply couldn't recall the name (it is tough to pronounce) whereas Coach P was unable or unwilling to put the effort into providing names, which came off as dehumanizing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Of course not. The origination of the discussion was in jest, and continued to be so.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Definitely

Of course not. The origination of the discussion was in jest, and continued to be so.
    I think that over time we may have lost our collective sense of humor when it comes to WBB, but today’s discussion suggests that happy days are here again. It’s nice to see LOLs in the thread, which I don’t remember seeing for a while.