Page 34 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I think the difference is that Coach Kara simply couldn't recall the name (it is tough to pronounce) whereas Coach P was unable or unwilling to put the effort into providing names, which came off as dehumanizing.
    Maybe. Maybe people just didn't like Coach P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Maybe. Maybe people just didn't like Coach P.
    Hard to like someone who throws their former players under the bus in a chronicle interview, lies about what they said afterwards, claiming to have been misquoted, and then doubles down when the chronicle releases the audio tape of the interview. So I guess it can be both?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Kara was extremely complimentary of Clark (and iowa's players in general), and referred to her by name. That doesn't sound like someone who is deliberately referring to people by number. As far as I can tell, she referred to them by number exactly once, something like "the offense runs through 22 and 24" which is the context of how you would coach your team to defend them, not talking about how those individuals in general.

But honestly, is someone trying to suggest we're not in better hands right now?

Anyway, my favorite part of the PC was when she said something like "have you ever seen two missed layups in one possession? wide open?" I feel like this is when cut took over duke football and demanded more from the team.
    The joke that CB&B played on certain Coach P detractors has certainly been misinterpreted. My favorite part of her interview was the whole thing. Her knack of making virtually every statement a positive one is so welcome after the McCallie years.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The joke that CB&B played on certain Coach P detractors has certainly been misinterpreted. My favorite part of her interview was the whole thing. Her knack of making virtually every statement a positive one is so welcome after the McCallie years.
    yeah even when she was frustrated about the missed layups, she turned it positive by talking about the excitement over a big game.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    yeah even when she was frustrated about the missed layups, she turned it positive by talking about the excitement over a big game.
    That was actually amusing when she talked about the layups. Given, they were such bad misses that really all you could do was laugh.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That was actually amusing when she talked about the layups. Given, they were such bad misses that really all you could do was laugh.
    I'm sure most of us had about the same reaction she did!
    1200. DDMF.

I'm sure most of us had about the same reaction she did!
    I wasn't laughing when they happened, I can tell you. After we won by 15, then yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I wasn't laughing when they happened, I can tell you. After we won by 15, then yeah.
    I was screaming at my monitor and thinking there is no way Duke is winning this game. Fortunately, Duke's players just dug in and gritted it out. It would seem that Coach Kara is as positive on the sidelines as she is in her press conferences.

I thought it was funny when someone asked about changing up how they defended the screen. “sometimes, they don’t do what I ask them to.” (With a bit of a smile, it not wholly).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought it was funny when someone asked about changing up how they defended the screen. “sometimes, they don’t do what I ask them to.” (With a bit of a smile, it not wholly).
    "Sometimes they do things that are not what I want them to do" (wry smile) ... I loved the way she said it and the accompanying facial expression.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I think it was interpreted quite correctly as an eff you to presumed P haters. I don’t hate her. Also, I’m very glad she has no continuing connection to Duke University. And I think it was unfortunate to bring her back up in this way. Or at all.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I think it was interpreted quite correctly as an eff you to presumed P haters. I don’t hate her. Also, I’m very glad she has no continuing connection to Duke University. And I think it was unfortunate to bring her back up in this way. Or at all.
    Not at all. I was merely making an amusing remark, taking advantage of a situation that used to be torn apart on these boards.

Signed, CB&B, original poster and self-admitted P hater. (Although that's a bit strong of a word, I will say she left 2 years too late for my taste.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’m obviously missing what has folks riled here. But glad there is passion about DWBB!

In any event, we’re all on the same team. I look forward to the new rankings this week! (assuming we beat Penn tomorrow, of course).

For the record, lots of coaches refer to opposing players by their numbers. It comes from preparing scouting reports, when you're showing film to your team, you're telling them to "watch no. 12 coming off the screen" or some such. I've heard Muffet McGraw, for example, do that on numerous occasions. You just come to think of players by their numbers.

It really isn't a big deal, not to me at least.

Not at all. I was merely making an amusing remark, taking advantage of a situation that used to be torn apart on these boards.

Signed, CB&B, original poster and self-admitted P hater. (Although that's a bit strong of a word, I will say she left 2 years too late for my taste.)
    OK. We’ll just disagree then on whether it’s of any value to casually reference her. Or whether that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For the record, lots of coaches refer to opposing players by their numbers. It comes from preparing scouting reports, when you're showing film to your team, you're telling them to "watch no. 12 coming off the screen" or some such. I've heard Muffet McGraw, for example, do that on numerous occasions. You just come to think of players by their numbers.

It really isn't a big deal, not to me at least.
    There’s an additional reason: in most cases, you can’t see the player’s name on the back of the jersey because her hair is in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There’s an additional reason: in most cases, you can’t see the player’s name on the back of the jersey because her hair is in the way.
    Well, if you're seeing the back of her jersey it's too late defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Or whether that was funny.
    Apparently nothing is allowed to be funny when it comes to DWBB.

the baylor, mizzou game was a thriller. great shot at the end, but just bounced out.
    1200. DDMF.

Duke faces off with Penn today 1pm ET at the Palestra. Duke (7-0) is now #16 in the RealtimeRPI, Penn (4-4) is #226. Let's hope Duke can maintain the intensity they showed against Iowa. Penn lost to Bucknell on Friday night, their third straight loss.