Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It's been an adjustment for me to embrace our one and done guys (and I completely do). It's just the new reality. I like following those guys. But a guy who bails midway through the season doesn't qualify. I truly wish him well, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's been an adjustment for me to embrace our one and done guys (and I completely do). It's just the new reality. I like following those guys. But a guy who bails midway through the season doesn't qualify. I truly wish him well, but that's about it.
    I might feel differently if he hadn't bailed in the middle of the most challenging Duke basketball season in decades.

The Trevon Duval principle

It’s a free country and I don’t bear any former Duke player any ill will, but as far as I am concerned you have to unpack your bags to become a true member of the Brotherhood.

I hope that things are really going to be easy for him in the NBA, but that remains to be seen.

As a very casual NBA fan, I usually pull for a team that has a Duke player to win. The most of any finals that I watched,or cared about, in recent years was the Heat simply because of Shane. But Jalen being on a team in the finals would mean zero to me.

Seems to me there’s a middle ground here between blindly supporting any and every move by any kid who wears the uniform and ruthlessly dissecting how and why we were wronged by a college freshman.

(Not accusing anyone of being blind nor ruthless, just labeling the extreme ends of the spectrum)

He rubbed us the wrong way. We don’t want to bad-mouth the brand. We probably don’t know the whole story. We’re fine seeing him gone.

Isn’t that about it? Just forget him. Better days ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshima25 View Post
    Seems to me there’s a middle ground here between blindly supporting any and every move by any kid who wears the uniform and ruthlessly dissecting how and why we were wronged by a college freshman.

(Not accusing anyone of being blind nor ruthless, just labeling the extreme ends of the spectrum)

He rubbed us the wrong way. We don’t want to bad-mouth the brand. We probably don’t know the whole story. We’re fine seeing him gone.

Isn’t that about it? Just forget him. Better days ahead.
    I don't wish him any ill will. I just see no need to support him either. He's a very young man. Young men make mistakes. Jalen backed out on a team and a commitment. I don't hope that dogs him for the rest of his life, but I will choose for my attention and admiration to focus on other folks.

Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't wish him any ill will. I just see no need to support him either. He's a very young man. Young men make mistakes. Jalen backed out on a team and a commitment. I don't hope that dogs him for the rest of his life, but I will choose for my attention and admiration to focus on other folks.

Next play.
    I'm with you. I only have so much energy for basketball fandom and none if it will be used on J. Johnson.

Selected quotes from the article:
    “I honestly think I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today if I hadn’t left early,” he said. “I’ve prepared myself. I’m in the best position and grateful for this next step. I think I’m more prepared than I’ve ever been.”

When asked what prompted his decision to leave Duke early, Johnson said “it was really the best decision for my family and I.”

“That’s the best way to put it,” he said. “Just had to make sure I was ready for the next step, and be as prepared as possible.”
    And
    “I’m a coach because of players, and these kids should have the choice to do whatever they want,” Krzyzewski said in February. “We’re going to give them our guidance and talk to them about it, and then I’m 100% behind him.”

Johnson said he was criticized for the decision in February. At the time, Duke was struggling and in jeopardy of missing the NCAA tournament, and eventually did after finishing 13-11.
    Anyway -- I didn't support his decision but have to admit he was pretty much a disappointment and didn't play well enough to get on the court. Maybe in a couple of years he can make his mark in the NBA (no, sitting on the bench is not "making his mark.").
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you. I only have so much energy for basketball fandom and none if it will be used on J. Johnson.
    I agree. I wish him the best but I will not support him as much as I support other players who played for Duke.

I think K was burned somewhat many years ago when there were stories of him being really mad at Avery for leaving early without K's blessing (unlike Brand, who was fully blessed to leave). Others know better than I do but I think it took a long time to reconcile that relationship (I believe Avery is now an active alum who is closely tied to the program), and the PR from it was not good. So K is wisely saying the right things here. Handling situations like these will be a big part of the learning process for Scheyer. Unfortunately, I think "loyalty" and "college basketball" now have nothing to do with each other, which is a shame.

Just curious - if Jalen did not have the history of bouncing around schools in high school would people feel differently about him? Those moves obviously didn't impact us as Duke fans but I think they do impact the overall impression of him.

My biggest memory of him was his not attempting a shot to force overtime as the clock ran out, which is excusable for a freshman, and then snapping at a teammate, which was just weird. I believe Jay Williams was pretty critical of his decision to quit. The first Duke statement was rather cryptic in pointing out that the Duke medical staff felt he was healthy enough to play. Beyond that, Duke has taken the high road, but I won't be rooting for him in the NBA like I do other Duke guys. Imagine what would become of college basketball if it becomes a trend for the best college players to quit on a whim for their personal interest mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    There is likely more to the story than we know. I have no problem calling him a Dukie - but last year was a strange season in every respect. The lack of fans- the strange gaps in the season- the lack of team cohesion- the ACC tourney exit due to Covid - and the end of season exodus of players- all contribute to a less than positive view of Jalen and others. Looking forward to a normal year.
    I have been a Dukie from the beginning of the coach k era. You can debate what makes a player a member of the brotherhood all you want being mindful that the term was coined during the OAD error as a marketing/ recruiting catch phrase. What strikes me is he didn’t leave for another school. We must remember he’s a teenager fighting his own inner demons. Perhaps to some he’s been struggling with a mental health issue ( going back to junior-season year of high school) and we should try to be more compassionate. This is the second time in two years he had trouble staying in school. That should tell you something. Whatever the actual issue may be, of course he and his family would want to maintain privacy and not hurt his potential career.plenty of people struggle with mental health and overcome it to live full lives. Let’s not speculate and throw him under the bus. The trouble is we place these potential superstar athletes on a pedestal like they are superheros when they are flawed human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    I have been a Dukie from the beginning of the coach k era. You can debate what makes a player a member of the brotherhood all you want being mindful that the term was coined during the OAD error as a marketing/ recruiting catch phrase. What strikes me is he didn’t leave for another school. We must remember he’s a teenager fighting his own inner demons. Perhaps to some he’s been struggling with a mental health issue ( going back to junior-season year of high school) and we should try to be more compassionate. This is the second time in two years he had trouble staying in school. That should tell you something. Whatever the actual issue may be, of course he and his family would want to maintain privacy and not hurt his potential career.plenty of people struggle with mental health and overcome it to live full lives. Let’s not speculate and throw him under the bus. The trouble is we place these potential superstar athletes on a pedestal like they are superheros when they are flawed human beings.
    Please. We are fans. My fandom does not include dealing with kid's inner demons. I have to deal with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, okay.

But he did absolutely quit on the team. I reserve the right to feel differently about him than other OAD players.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    I agree that young people have their own path to walk. But I'm not about to start projecting diagnoses onto 18 year old men, either as an explanation or an excuse. If it were to come out that he was dealing with something like you suggest, I would certainly feel differently. I think it is very irresponsible to try and connect dots, absent any real information.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    What is a "Dukie"?
    I refrain from answering due to the high likelihood that the mods will hold my answer against me.

9f

Jalen Johnson: ".5 And Done"

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I couldn't agree more..
    The Jalen Johnson debacle should be a wakeup call in terms of the future of Duke basketball. Is the emphasis on recruiting "one and dones" the only realistic path to assembling a championship team? I don't think so: consider the University of Virginia team which won the NCAA championship a few years ago. Or recent Villanova teams, including the team which recently was NCAA champions. Or the Coach K championship teams before Duke adopted the "one and done" model, which were very successful in competing against teams with many "ones and dones" (i.e. Kentucky or the Michigan "Fab 5" teams of the world). What made these teams so successful? Defense, which takes years, great coaching, and motivated, committed players to develop in a team.

With the impending change in coaching leadership now is the perfect time to re-calibrate the type of player that Duke recruits going forward. I am not advocating the elimination of "one and done" recruiting; merely a tweaking of the mix in favor of players likely to remain with the team for 3 or 4 years.
    It is also more consistent with Duke's status as a top ten academic institution, which at the end of the day is "what makes Duke Duke".

Quote Originally Posted by rberman View Post
    The Jalen Johnson debacle should be a wakeup call in terms of the future of Duke basketball. Is the emphasis on recruiting "one and dones" the only realistic path to assembling a championship team? I don't think so: consider the University of Virginia team which won the NCAA championship a few years ago. Or recent Villanova teams, including the team which recently was NCAA champions. Or the Coach K championship teams before Duke adopted the "one and done" model, which were very successful in competing against teams with many "ones and dones" (i.e. Kentucky or the Michigan "Fab 5" teams of the world). What made these teams so successful? Defense, which takes years, great coaching, and motivated, committed players to develop in a team.

With the impending change in coaching leadership now is the perfect time to re-calibrate the type of player that Duke recruits going forward. I am not advocating the elimination of "one and done" recruiting; merely a tweaking of the mix in favor of players likely to remain with the team for 3 or 4 years.
    It is also more consistent with Duke's status as a top ten academic institution, which at the end of the day is "what makes Duke Duke".
    On the one hand, a response to this would by necessity be complex and lengthy. On the other hand, few subjects on this forum have been flogged more than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    On the one hand, a response to this would by necessity be complex and lengthy. On the other hand, few subjects on this forum have been flogged more than this one.
    It's been a hot topic for about fifteen years. I do suspect that the NIL ruling will mean some changes, but your guess is as good as mine as to what those changes will be in regards to OADs, Duke, NBA eligibility rules, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree. I wish him the best but I will not support him as much as I support other players who played for Duke.

I think K was burned somewhat many years ago when there were stories of him being really mad at Avery for leaving early without K's blessing (unlike Brand, who was fully blessed to leave). Others know better than I do but I think it took a long time to reconcile that relationship (I believe Avery is now an active alum who is closely tied to the program), and the PR from it was not good. So K is wisely saying the right things here. Handling situations like these will be a big part of the learning process for Scheyer. Unfortunately, I think "loyalty" and "college basketball" now have nothing to do with each other, which is a shame.

Just curious - if Jalen did not have the history of bouncing around schools in high school would people feel differently about him? Those moves obviously didn't impact us as Duke fans but I think they do impact the overall impression of him.
    For me, yes. I thought his HS experience was an anomaly. And kids change HS all the time, especially due to fit.

But when Jalen quit Duke, this became a "trend" moreso than a "one off".

Anywho, I love his non-answer to the question. Clearly, there is a reason that makes him look bad and he doesn't want to say it. Why else would you say, "it was the best thing for my family"?

And I agree with the other posters. Don't care if he's an NBA bust or makes the All-Star team; I won't be following his career (and I follow the players who many posters say "didn't unpack their bags" like Trevon Duval. I like Duval)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by rberman View Post

If this topic isn't already in the seminal DBR Handy Pocket Reference it should be added.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016