Thread: UNC Tenure Case

UNC Tenure Case

Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here and mods can lock this thread immediately so as to avoid any issues, but I know there was a lot of interest in the Nikole Hannah-Jones UNC tenure situation and it appears to have resolved. The UNC board ended up granting her tenure last week, but she has chosen to take a tenured position at Howard instead of teaching at UNC.

https://news.yahoo.com/nikole-hannah...122249992.html

Good choice by her

Lol @ UNC. Their bad news is my good news.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here and mods can lock this thread immediately so as to avoid any issues, but I know there was a lot of interest in the Nikole Hannah-Jones UNC tenure situation and it appears to have resolved. The UNC board ended up granting her tenure last week, but she has chosen to take a tenured position at Howard instead of teaching at UNC.

https://news.yahoo.com/nikole-hannah...122249992.html
    Too little, too late UNC. I’m sure the folks who made the call originally are happy, but less sure it helps the university.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Too little, too late UNC. I’m sure the folks who made the call originally are happy, but less sure it helps the university.
    Trying to avoid PPB territory, but will reiterate that the Hannah-Jones situation should not be viewed in isolation, but rather as part of a broader backlash underway against the dogma of critical race theory. Most of that backlash to date has been at the high school and elementary school district level, but I doubt UNC will be the last major university to face a controversy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Trying to avoid PPB territory,
    mmmmmm... PPP territory....i knew ye well....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

As the quote from Maya Angelou goes, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

Sometimes I imagine when someone says “…avoid PBB territory…” that scene in The Village when the young men standing guard at the edge of the clearing turn their backs on the forest where the creatures live as a test of bravery.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sometimes I imagine when someone says “…avoid PBB territory…” that scene in The Village when the young men standing guard at the edge of the clearing turn their backs on the forest where the creatures live as a test of bravery.
    Yeah, leading with my chin, I suppose. But I just don't think the situation is as one-sided as other posters seem to. May have beaten that horse to death already, though.

Yeah, leading with my chin, I suppose. But I just don't think the situation is as one-sided as other posters seem to. May have beaten that horse to death already, though.
    The issue is that decisions about tenure belong to the faculty, not to the donors. The faculty believed that her scholarship merited tenure. The farce that UNC just endured strikes to the very heart of academic integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    The issue is that decisions about tenure belong to the faculty, not to the donors. The faculty believed that her scholarship merited tenure. The farce that UNC just endured strikes to the very heart of academic integrity.
    Even when one of those donors is a respected journalist in his own right, for whom the School of Journalism and Media at UNC is named? Someone known as a champion of objectivity in the field? Even when her work has been heavily criticized by peers, and not just for minor factual errors? Such that some might find it ironic that you invoke academic integrity in her defense.

Either way, I think it's fairly naive to think that Trustees have zero purview over academic affairs.

Yeah, I suspect the lines are drawn. I don't believe there's much benefit to relitigating this topic here so we can pick teams and wag fingers at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yeah, I suspect the lines are drawn. I don't believe there's much benefit to relitigating this topic here so we can pick teams and wag fingers at each other.
    I'm on team ABC. Always have been and always will be! Hop on board, there is always room for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed. As I mentioned above, I just posted the article to inform people because in the world's short attention span news cycle, I thought many might miss it. I don't think there is much to be gained from further discussion.