Happy Birthday U.S.A.

I’m grilling chicken in the backyard today. Sides include corn on the cob, zucchini, potato salad, watermelon and cold beer. However, before the festivities begin, I started my day by reading:

https://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

Here’s wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July! 🇺🇸
    Bob Green

Amen! And thanks to all (like Bob) who have served our country to keep us free.

I miss Oly:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

John Adams
    Happy Independence Day to all.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Many thanks to the founding fathers. Happy 4th of July and all those over the years that have helped preserve our freedoms.
    Be Safe and Enjoy

We have much to be thankful for, including the bravery and sacrifice of those who have fought for the ideals of the founders of the nation.

The haunting words of Frederick Douglass in his famed 4th of July speech of 1852 are worthy of a re-reading and reconsideration today as well. Here they are:

https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/coret...20July%204.pdf

I'll be baking hamburger buns from scratch (totally kills! Makes any burger taste five times better).

Also last night I made a chocolate ice cream batter that is in the fridge right now. I'll be churning it into homemade chocolate ice cream later today. This is also well worth the effort, by the way.

Happy Independence Day to all!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'll be baking hamburger buns from scratch (totally kills! Makes any burger taste five times better).

Also last night I made a chocolate ice cream batter that is in the fridge right now. I'll be churning it into homemade chocolate ice cream later today. This is also well worth the effort, by the way.

Happy Independence Day to all!
    I'll be over for dessert. 😊

A July 4th tradition...

George Shea's introductions at the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog contest (the contest itself is also fun).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A July 4th tradition...

George Shea's introductions at the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog contest (the contest itself is also fun).
    The broadcast of the contest twice had technical difficulties during the ten minutes of the main event, including the second one with very little time left. For those of us anxiously waiting to see if Joey Chestnut would break his own record, it was very frustrating.

During both breaks they cut to commercials by their main sponsors (Nathan’s and Bounty) so there are those who believe these “difficulties” were intentional.

Now back to your regularly scheduled patriotism. Happy birthday America!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I miss Oly:

Happy Independence Day to all.
    I miss Oly as well. We had an inspiring Church service yesterday as our Pastor gave a great message and we honored prior service men and women. We no longer have fireworks after the July 4th service/celebration. The last time we had the fireworks, the guy setting off them(my wife's cousin) off sent one into the parking lot and it hit one of the parked cars. Might have been one of the deacons vehicle.

God bless the USA!