Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Counterpoint: the players have all this free time and you already have fairly common issues with players missing team obligations and academic obligations (although obviously they are usually given a fair bit of leeway/flexibility with the academic scheduling/deadlines in many cases though of course not all). Would you expect that to get better or worse after adding sponsorship commitments/scheduling to the mix?
    I like this question a lot bc it alludes to something that a lot of us maybe have on the tip of our tongue but no one is saying - and that's MATURITY. Every kid is definitely not built for this life. Some will get taken advantage of. Some will foolishly take cash. Some wont check the credibility of businesses. Some wont check the terms and obligations of a contract.

These issues are exactly why schools have created whole programs to address this with students and are helping students to vet opportunities.

Miss a team meeting and you may be disciplined. Miss a paid event and you may owe someone some money. It's the fringe parameters where students will find out how the real world operates.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I like this question a lot bc it alludes to something that a lot of us maybe have on the tip of our tongue but no one is saying - and that's MATURITY. Every kid is definitely not built for this life. Some will get taken advantage of. Some will foolishly take cash. Some wont check the credibility of businesses. Some wont check the terms and obligations of a contract.

These issues are exactly why schools have created whole programs to address this with students and are helping students to vet opportunities.

Miss a team meeting and you may be disciplined. Miss a paid event and you may owe someone some money. It's the fringe parameters where students will find out how the real world operates.
    Yep, this is basically exactly what I was getting at. I've also wondered if, at some point, there are going to be some conflict of interest issues with having the schools doing assisting with vetting (vetting sponsorship opportunities seems like it would be a little different than vetting agents, in this regard), especially now that there is actual money coming in on both sides. I know the players will be allowed to hire their representation to help deal with their NIL arrangements as well, but of course that just circles us back to "some will get taken advantage of".

Yep, this is basically exactly what I was getting at. I've also wondered if, at some point, there are going to be some conflict of interest issues with having the schools doing assisting with vetting (vetting sponsorship opportunities seems like it would be a little different than vetting agents, in this regard), especially now that there is actual money coming in on both sides. I know the players will be allowed to hire their representation to help deal with their NIL arrangements as well, but of course that just circles us back to "some will get taken advantage of".
    After reading that, I realized that the NCAA just may have found a whole other way to pay themselves. Kinda reminds me of a Michael Jordan situation where he wouldn't wear Reebok at the Olympics kind of thing. If a student messes around and wears his own jersey in a paid advert it's more than likely a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    After reading that, I realized that the NCAA just may have found a whole other way to pay themselves. Kinda reminds me of a Michael Jordan situation where he wouldn't wear Reebok at the Olympics kind of thing. If a student messes around and wears his own jersey in a paid advert it's more than likely a violation.
    Do you mean an NCAA violation or a violation as in like "trademark infringement"?

Do you mean an NCAA violation or a violation as in like "trademark infringement"?
    Great question. The NCAA. Bc it's the commercialization of a college logo which apparently somehow they own thanks to tv rights and conference alignments.

Sheesh it's such big business when you think about it like this that I can see why a by stander can become disinterested.

Aha, great point! It still sounds like a trademark infringement issue more than an NCAA bylaw issue.

lawyers are salivating....

Ambrose Bierce notes in THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY the definition of "Lawyer"

LAWYER, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law.

this is going to be a wild ride for Athletes, managers and attorneys...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese