Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Representation will be allowed. Here is the Duke policy on representation

A Duke student-athlete may obtain professional representation by an athlete agent, attorney, or financial advisor who is engaged by the student-athlete for the purpose of securing payments for the use of the student-athlete’s NIL, or otherwise advising the student-athlete concerning NIL. Any such agent, attorney, or financial advisor must be registered with Duke University,and, to the extent required by North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 78,by the state of North Carolina. Representatives must also comply with the federal Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act, as applicable. Representation wilAll representation must be disclosed to Duke University in a manner prescribed by the Department of Athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    As an aside, I am wondering what impact if any the new NIL will have on the tradition of Duke team signed basketballs and posters offered to Duke fans with the proceeds going to charity. I was planning on getting a ball since this will be the last coach k team.
    Wont affect it all - those are team sponsored activities which the athletes will be still required to do.

Has anyone compiled a list of Twitter and Instagram handles for members of the Duke basketball team? Many of us would want to follow them. What about a list showing how many followers each one has? Such a list might hint at earnings potential.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Has anyone compiled a list of Twitter and Instagram handles for members of the Duke basketball team? Many of us would want to follow them. What about a list showing how many followers each one has? Such a list might hint at earnings potential.
    Haha! Be careful what you ask for. Otherwise a simple search of DUMB, Dukembb, Duke Mens BB and the like will give you all you need - and then some.

These players aren't hiding - google the roster and then search their names. Even Savarino out here in these social media streets.

Canes Booster offers entire football team 500 per month

Some people will make offers like this just for the free publicity. The rest of us can sign up to follow players for free!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ter/ar-AALQ4D9

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    Some people will make offers like this just for the free publicity. The rest of us can sign up to follow players for free!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ter/ar-AALQ4D9
    "If you're of the mind that boosters offering NIL deals explicitly to improve their favorite football team represents a doomsday scenario, well, it's time to start hoarding canned goods and bottled water."
    And that's just from ONE booster with $$$. The amount of money big time programs have support with is insane. A place like Alabama will quickly become a quasi pro team, possibly paying even better than the pros*. (Which most football players don't see the light of day with, even playing for a place like Alabama, so making any cash now is incentive.)

*"more than the pros" is more in line with a g-league bball player, not an NFL guy obviously.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 07-06-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Blink View Post
    So can, for instance, Nike sign any kind of deal they want with a kid enrolled at a Nike school?
    "We like you. We think you have potential. But we think you have more potential staying at Duke next year instead of leaving now and getting drafted in the 2nd round and playing in the obscurity of the G-League, so here's a few hundred thousand bucks to be a Blue Devil again next year and be on TV for every game."

I can easily see that happening.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

or just pay them to promote you. give dollars per uh no shout-out!??

at least this shows what take stakes are. a few follows on social are meaningless in a sea of boosters lining up to pay players to come regardless.

Second Round players come back

Hunter Dickinson was projected as a mid second round pick, so he opted to go back to Michigan to work on his game and make some money:

Dickinson said the ability for college athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness played a role in his decision to return to Michigan, which is one of the biggest brands in college sports.

"The NIL stuff had a factor into my decision," he said. "Being able to make a little extra money and not have to worry about my financial situation while at school is definitely a pro. I'm glad the NCAA was able to do the right thing and allow students to make money off THEIR brands."

For the Get off my lawn crowd

UCLA will bring back 5 double digit scorers from a Final Four team (last done by the back to back Florida team), with a couple of players opting for NIL money instead of a two way contract. At least so far, NIL is increasing the talent in CBB.

I see my interest in revenue producing college sports decreasing exponentially. The NCAA had generations to to establish a way to distribute a portion of revenue to athletes upon college graduation. They sat on their hands.

The student athletes don’t trust athletic administrators; however, they are ready to cut deals with car dealerships, gym owners, and friends of the program.

Good luck scheduling that film session Sunday! Forget studying for that mid-term!
    Personal appearances are scheduled at the Nissan dealership. You know, friends of the program are calling all the shots now.
    Last edited by SamHouston; 07-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I see my interest in revenue producing college sports decreasing exponentially. The NCAA had generations to to establish a way to distribute a portion of revenue to athletes upon college graduation. They sat on their hands.

Your call on he revenue producing sports, but without those sports the non revenue sports will have resources cut, absent outside funding as Stanford has done.
    Even more, he NCAA had a NIL committee which spent two years working on a program, then the NCAA threw up their hands and said it is a free for all.

The student athletes don’t trust athletic administrators; however, they are ready to cut deals with car dealerships, gym owners, and friends of the program.

The difference is that the outsiders back their promises with $ unlike the AD's who give empty promises about looking out for the athletes' best interest.

Good luck scheduling that film session Sunday! Forget studying for that mid-term!
    Personal appearances are scheduled at the Nissan dealership. You know, friends of the program are calling all the shots now.
    It is unlikely a sponsor(read booster) will want to hurt the team

It is unlikely a sponsor(read booster) will want to hurt the team
    This is likely true, but I would be shocked it we don't have at least a smattering of stories where someone ends up in a financial pinch because they double booked themselves (either with two different sponsors, or with a sponsor and the team, etc) and couldn't meet some obligation, so I'm not sure it is a concern that you can just handwave away either. Also, not all of the money coming in is going to be affiliated with people who have a vested interest in the school.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post

This is probably just a little chicken littleish... Most athletes only have heavy team responsibilities about four months out of the year. Then after that they've got a TON of free time on their hands. I used to see Duke players in Northgate Mall literally EVERY DAY.

Look at it like this, Chris Washburn had so much time on his hands that he was stealing stereos from kids right on campus and taking them to his dorm room.

And I def wouldn't say the NCAA sat on their hands - their hands were FORCED thanks to the O'Bannon brothers. You can actually thank EA Sports for a lot of this.

A lot of folks seem to forget that this was all spurned bc folks were making money off college athletes and the athletes were getting nothing.

And ALL of these kids know that there is no endorsement money without the sport they play unless you just so happen to be an Olympic star who also happens to play football.

How soon we forget... https://www.9news.com/article/sports...c-a4e28126011d

UCLA will bring back 5 double digit scorers from a Final Four team (last done by the back to back Florida team), with a couple of players opting for NIL money instead of a two way contract. At least so far, NIL is increasing the talent in CBB.
    Yes, I agree that NIL will likely lead to a somewhat "increase in talent" being retained by the NCAA. We'll I guess see if that increase leads to more/less/no change in fan interest & TV viewing. I don't think it has much of an impact given we've seen talent go way down over the last 20 years in the NCAA but interest has increased it seems. Of course, will be hard to prove any correlation going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This is probably just a little chicken littleish... Most athletes only have heavy team responsibilities about four months out of the year. Then after that they've got a TON of free time on their hands. I used to see Duke players in Northgate Mall literally EVERY DAY.

Look at it like this, Chris Washburn had so much time on his hands that he was stealing stereos from kids right on campus and taking them to his dorm room.

And I def wouldn't say the NCAA sat on their hands - their hands were FORCED thanks to the O'Bannon brothers. You can actually thank EA Sports for a lot of this.

A lot of folks seem to forget that this was all spurned bc folks were making money off college athletes and the athletes were getting nothing.

And ALL of these kids know that there is no endorsement money without the sport they play unless you just so happen to be an Olympic star who also happens to play football.

SupaDave-

What were you doing in Northgate Mall every day? I pictured you as hitting the books as an undergrad and then as a law student.

Hope you are doing well.

Counterpoint: the players have all this free time and you already have fairly common issues with players missing team obligations and academic obligations (although obviously they are usually given a fair bit of leeway/flexibility with the academic scheduling/deadlines in many cases though of course not all). Would you expect that to get better or worse after adding sponsorship commitments/scheduling to the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    SupaDave-

What were you doing in Northgate Mall every day? I pictured you as hitting the books as an undergrad and then as a law student.

Hope you are doing well.
    I had an endorsement deal with Sbarro's in high school. They made me make pizzas and what not. Even gave me a pay check. OK OK, it was my part time job until I left for college. School didn't get HARD until law school.

But if I could get up at 6, go to school, then practice, they my part time job, and STILL party at Science and Math at night then I'm quite positive that a college kid could handle a 30 minute photo session in between classes.

I had an endorsement deal with Sbarro's in high school. They made me make pizzas and what not. Even gave me a pay check. OK OK, it was my part time job until I left for college. School didn't get HARD until law school.

But if I could get up at 6, go to school, then practice, they my part time job, and STILL party at Science and Math at night then I'm quite positive that a college kid could handle a 30 minute photo session in between classes.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is literally not enough time in the day to do these things

It is a matter of organization and scheduling, two things that even highly intelligent, successful, fully grown folks can struggle with sometimes.