Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead for the next update.

I gave up on the extreme hypermiling that drove everybody insane, but have continued to drive more conservatively and to try not to 'turn money into heat' as much as possible within the realm of courteous driving. It has become habitual now.
    Anyway, I last reported that in the first week of December of last year, my car's lifetime mileage had gone up to 30.7. Progress slowed, and apparently halted, as it was stuck on 30.7 for a very long time.

Yesterday, at long last, it turned to 30.8! I had given up on it ever changing, but it finally did.

Still want to get to lifetime 31, especially since the price of gas is apparently going to be high for the foreseeable future. I will likely update the thread again in about a year, if I can find it by then.
    Using hypermiling techniques continues to be effective for me, as well, albeit mostly in electric mode. I'm still measuring about 20% more efficient that the car's other driver. I find it makes me a more aware driver, too, as I stay more engaged in the act of driving.

The limiting factor for me in going max distance between stops is not the Taycan’s battery. It’s my bladder.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead for the next update.

I gave up on the extreme hypermiling that drove everybody insane, but have continued to drive more conservatively and to try not to 'turn money into heat' as much as possible within the realm of courteous driving. It has become habitual now.
    Anyway, I last reported that in the first week of December of last year, my car's lifetime mileage had gone up to 30.7. Progress slowed, and apparently halted, as it was stuck on 30.7 for a very long time.

Yesterday, at long last, it turned to 30.8! I had given up on it ever changing, but it finally did.

Still want to get to lifetime 31, especially since the price of gas is apparently going to be high for the foreseeable future. I will likely update the thread again in about a year, if I can find it by then.
    Did you notice a difference in cold weather?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Did you notice a difference in cold weather?

-jk
    Not really. If anything, I think mileage is generally worse in the summer, because around here you really can't go without air conditioning, and air conditioning burns up more mileage than the heater does.

For many people, mileage goes down in the winter, but that is largely because tire pressures go low in cold weather and the vast majority of people don't check their tire pressures anywhere near often enough. I check mine at least once a month. During the winter, sometimes every two weeks. Keeping the tires at proper inflation levels really helps with gas mileage.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Not really. If anything, I think mileage is generally worse in the summer, because around here you really can't go without air conditioning, and air conditioning burns up more mileage than the heater does.

For many people, mileage goes down in the winter, but that is largely because tire pressures go low in cold weather and the vast majority of people don't check their tire pressures anywhere near often enough. I check mine at least once a month. During the winter, sometimes every two weeks. Keeping the tires at proper inflation levels really helps with gas mileage.
    For me, I've found that a lot of gas mileage in an ICE is consumed with just heating the engine and the exhaust heating the catalytic converter. When I primarily drove an ICE, I would see a solid 10% drop in fuel efficiency on short trips. Long trips are much less affected. Also, if I drive my plug-in hybrid in hybrid mode (not pure electric), the ICE comes on just to heat up the converter. If I stay in electric mode until I hit the freeway on longer trips, I can get the car to only fire up the ICE once I'm sure I'll need it anyway.

For my plug-in hybrid in electric mode, there is a drop in range the colder the weather gets due to battery chemistry, but use efficiency is very close to the same.

I'm a fanatic about tire pressure, and typically put my tires a couple pounds above the manufacturer's recommendation, which is generally on the conservative side. If the weather is getting warmer, I'll allow for that. If the tire pressure is too high, of course, you get excessive center wear on the tires, but there's a sweet spot just a couple pounds over that saves mileage and avoids uneven wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Using hypermiling techniques continues to be effective for me, as well, albeit mostly in electric mode. I'm still measuring about 20% more efficient that the car's other driver. I find it makes me a more aware driver, too, as I stay more engaged in the act of driving.
    It's probably a laugher. But i have been watching how i drive my tundra . Just under 17 mpg .which is great for city driving in a gas guzzler. My range has extrnded 25 miles so the computer says.
    My coworkers are still in 14 to 15 range. 1200 to 1300 rpms seems to be my sweet spot .

It turned from 30.8 to 30.9 a few days ago. Woo-hoo!

31 is definitely in my sights, and it is definitely achievable, hopefully sometime in the near future. Just got new spark plugs, too, which may help give me a bit of a edge.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

How much increase is required to amortize the cost of the plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How much increase is required to amortize the cost of the plugs?
    A lot, but I didn't replace the plugs in order to get better mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I can't handle that type of power. Over 170 horsepower. That's insane!
    Somebody get PackMan a Taycan Turbo S.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Somebody get PackMan a Taycan Turbo S.
    Hell with PackMan, somebody buy me one!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

On vacation right now, and my wife asked the rental car place for a sedan.

Got a Dodge Charger LT in orange with yellow accents on the bottom of the front bumper. Around 315 hp. At 80 mph on the freeway it was purring at about 1600 rpms.

Taking the vacation off from hypermiling, lol.

On vacation right now, and my wife asked the rental car place for a sedan.

Got a Dodge Charger LT in orange with yellow accents on the bottom of the front bumper. Around 315 hp. At 80 mph on the freeway it was purring at about 1600 rpms.

Taking the vacation off from hypermiling, lol.
    Hypomiling?

Is that a thing? Is it anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Hypomiling?

Is that a thing? Is it anything at all?
    It's what a lot of America does every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    When I am driving behind someone hypermiling, I end up hyperventilating. In extreme cases, it can lead to hypertension.
    https://youtu.be/yvdW0AQcLzc