Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    From an article about the University of Kentucky has told its athletes about NIL:
    UK athletes also won’t be permitted to endorse sports apparel and footwear during team activities — Kentucky has a major endorsement deal with Nike ...
    My guess is that Duke follows suit but you never know. If you want to generate a ton of NIL money for your best basketball players, let them sign their own shoe contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    From an article about the University of Kentucky has told its athletes about NIL:

My guess is that Duke follows suit but you never know. If you want to generate a ton of NIL money for your best basketball players, let them sign their own shoe contracts.
    And it looks like Duke is following suit. The Duke policy includes this language:
    A Duke student-athlete may not engage in any NIL activity in a manner that conflicts with a term of a Duke University contract.
    and
    A Duke student-athlete may not engage in any NIL activities during any department or team related activities(e.g, practice, competition,team meals, etc.).

If they did this, Duke would lose out on their Nike money. I can't find details of the Duke contract, but Nike pays Alabama $5 million/year in addition to all the equipment and swag. I'm guessing the Duke contract is similar given the national exposure of Duke.

The media savvy athletes are going to do great. It doesn't even really matter what sport you play or how good you are at that sport. Google "Livvy Dunne". She's a gymnast for LSU. She's poised to make a small fortune because she has over 1 million instagram followers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    If they did this, Duke would lose out on their Nike money. I can't find details of the Duke contract, but Nike pays Alabama $5 million/year in addition to all the equipment and swag. I'm guessing the Duke contract is similar given the national exposure of Duke.

The media savvy athletes are going to do great. It doesn't even really matter what sport you play or how good you are at that sport. Google "Livvy Dunne". She's a gymnast for LSU. She's poised to make a small fortune because she has over 1 million instagram followers.
    We're getting a rather large influx of potential new "influencers" with all the college athletes suddenly eligible. I wonder if that will have any impact on the going rates for influencers?

Genuine question

Regarding the bolded part, because I'm not up to speed on much of this. A small fortune from whom? I've heard this theory mentioned, but I don't really understand where this "new" money is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    Regarding the bolded part, because I'm not up to speed on much of this. A small fortune from whom? I've heard this theory mentioned, but I don't really understand where this "new" money is coming from.
    when you have followers, people pay you to advertise stuff on your channel. The amount of money one makes doing this, however, in most cases, is far smaller than most assume. She may get some love from gymnastic stuff, but i'm not sure I'd say "small fortune." In the scheme of big-internet-money, 1 million twitter followers isn't all that much.
    1200. DDMF.

These athletes can now monetize their social media posts. Take Livvy Dune for example. She has 1.1 million instagram followers and 3.9 million! TicTok followers. Brands will pay Livvy to post branded material. It's basically a commercial.

This article gives you an idea how much someone can make
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/how-...alculator.html

"An influencer with over a million followers can reportedly make more than $250,000 per post from brands."

And it looks like Duke is following suit. The Duke policy includes this language:

"A Duke student-athlete may not engage in any NIL activities during any department or team related activities(e.g, practice, competition,team meals, etc.)."
    Does this mean I cannot pay $100 to get a selfie with Mark Williams immediately after he dunks on Armando Bacot?
    Last edited by House P; 07-01-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: On second thought, I suspect that $100 would be far below fair market value :^)

"After a hard training sesh, I use a double scoop of O'Malley's Organic Pea Protein mixed with a little 2% milk. Sometimes for a treat I'll blend in some frozen berries!

Use coupon code "LIVVY" for 10% off your first order of a 32 oz. or 64 oz. tub of O'Malley's!"
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I'll believe it when I see it

Having worked for a number of corporations and knowing budgets, I'm not holding my breath on those numbers. That money has to come from somewhere and it's going to be taken from other places. It might happen, but not without consequences.

These athletes can now monetize their social media posts. Take Livvy Dune for example. She has 1.1 million instagram followers and 3.9 million! TicTok followers. Brands will pay Livvy to post branded material. It's basically a commercial.

This article gives you an idea how much someone can make
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/how-...alculator.html

"An influencer with over a million followers can reportedly make more than $250,000 per post from brands."
    Last edited by devilsadvocate85; 07-01-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added an additional thought

Having worked for a number of corporations and knowing budgets, I'm not holding my breath on those numbers. That money has to come from somewhere and it's going to be taken from other places. It might happen, but not without consequences.
    yeah those numbers are absurdly optimistic. I'm sure in some very specific circumstances, someone with 1 million followers was paid 250k for a post...but there is 0 chance that is the average payment for a plug for an "average" person with a million followers.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Does this mean I cannot pay $100 to get a selfie with Mark Williams immediately after he dunks on Armando Bacot?
    Market value would depend on the supply as well. If we assume five Williams/Bacot dunks, times three meetings between the teams, and add two more in Cameron just because - that's 17 (conservatively) Bacot posterizations. Plenty of supply to decrease the cost of each iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Market value would depend on the supply as well. If we assume five Williams/Bacot dunks, times three meetings between the teams, and add two more in Cameron just because - that's 17 (conservatively) Bacot posterizations. Plenty of supply to decrease the cost of each iteration.
    I like the way you think!

Now for the important stuff:

Can EA Sports start making the NCAA College Football and March Madness video game series again?

Post game player interviews may turn into NASCAR clones ! My Nike shoes and my Wheaties breakfasts, along with my Gatorade drinks gave me the ability to make the winning shot. I can see it now !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Post game player interviews may turn into NASCAR clones ! My Nike shoes and my Wheaties breakfasts, along with my Gatorade drinks gave me the ability to make the winning shot. I can see it now !!!
    They mention products in post-race interviews? I would not expect that in college basketball. I have never seen that in NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Imagine if Nike endorsed Zion and he blew their shoe out vs UNC.

“Nike, your product prevented me from competing at my highest level tonight.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    They mention products in post-race interviews? I would not expect that in college basketball. I have never seen that in NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.
    Not exactly. But I thought I read something recently about the European soccer championship and the importance of whether a player had a beverage (with branded tag facing the cameras) or not and how much that association was worth. Similarly, a player can throw on a baseball hat for interviews with the name of their favorite brand (as long as it is not another athletic apparel manufacturer) - so, for instance, Banchero could theoretically put on a Hilton baseball hat and get paid by Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not exactly. But I thought I read something recently about the European soccer championship and the importance of whether a player had a beverage (with branded tag facing the cameras) or not and how much that association was worth. Similarly, a player can throw on a baseball hat for interviews with the name of their favorite brand (as long as it is not another athletic apparel manufacturer) - so, for instance, Banchero could theoretically put on a Hilton baseball hat and get paid by Hilton.
    Dunno about NASCAR, but do know about Bryson DeChambeau:

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2021/0...d-palmer-.html
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Dunno about NASCAR, but do know about Bryson DeChambeau:

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2021/0...d-palmer-.html
    "Well, first off I've got to thank my sponsors, Bridgestone Tour B X, Cobra Radspeed, HG Golf, and a bunch of other sponsors... Rolex and Onestream Software, they've all been instrumental in helping me be here."

He doesn't even mention Puma or DraftKings, both of whom are displayed prominently on his hat the whole time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?