Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 366
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think the argument could be made that Duke did just that when K decided to go after the OADs full force, matching and then eclipsing Calipari. And I know for a fact that some "old school" fans lost interest because of it.

    I don't expect Duke to treat the NIL situation any different, and fully expect the school to do whatever they can to protect their #1 cash cow.
    My interest hasn't been the same in the last ten years or so, if I'm completely honest. I can absolutely see a path that would leave me checking in around February to see what was happening. That would be a break from the attention paid over the last 35 years.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My interest hasn't been the same in the last ten years or so, if I'm completely honest. I can absolutely see a path that would leave me checking in around February to see what was happening. That would be a break from the attention paid over the last 35 years.
    it will be interesting to see with K gone and NIL whether duke will be able to support the current donation levels for season tickets moving forward.
    basketball is back, baby!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it will be interesting to see with K gone and NIL whether duke will be able to support the current donation levels for season tickets moving forward.
    If the team is a middle of the pack ACC team most years, then I suspect it will be quite difficult to keep prices where they have been. If Scheyer can continue to field a team that regularly competes for ACC and National Titles then I am confident demand (and ticket prices) will remain quite high. I strongly suspect that, despite a few grumblings, success on the court will easily trump small pockets of disinterest due to NIL and other changes.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Really hard to see Duke FB and BB doing well under this new normal.
    Think B-ball remains as top level team; assuming Scheyer is not the new Bucky. However, Duke football another story. If reasonable booster restrictions aren’t in place; we’re not competing with Cheats, Pack, UVA and other mid level P5 teams.

    Would we (and others) then leave ACC in football, which in turn minimizes $$ for non-revenue sports? Some booster restrictions are absolutely needed IMHO.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But for that to happen, a lot of people are going to have to get together and cooperate and make good decisions for the benefit of college athletics and the athletes, not for their self-interest. How many of the NCAA, the United States Congress, 50 state legislatures, dozens of conference commissioners, hundreds of ADs, hundreds of coaches and millions of alums and boosters do we think are going to be able to do that?
    Based on our country's track record in other areas (which shall not be named, so as to avoid PPB concerns), not many.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    I’m disappointed this is happening 20 years after my peak frolf years in college.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    I see this differently than most NIL has nothing to do with Duke in the sense that the player needs access to Duke's intellectual property. It is about the individuals and their "brands". I know a couple of state laws allow the schools to take some of the money, but the odds than any will are low. The repercussions would be too big.

    This is not about uniform sales. The money is coming because they wil generate money through their social media accounts. Companies will sponsor or advertise and the player will get paid. Also there can be a "Pablo Banchero" on a video game for which he gets compensated. If they put a Duke jersey on him that's a completely independent deal with the school, it doesn't effect the player at all.
    Someone wants too put their picture on a t-shirt that is a certain shade of blue? Go ahead and get paid. Again, the word "Duke" may be relevant to the school and the t-shirt manufacturer, but that's not part of the player's ability to monetize his or her NIL.

    There will obviously be an effect depending on the player, the sport, and the school, but I believe the Duke brand is going to continue to be one that helps boost the player's independent, but related brand.

    Salaries are still not allowed and while many are advocating for it, that's another issue for another day.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    This is not about uniform sales. The money is coming because they wil generate money through their social media accounts. Companies will sponsor or advertise and the player will get paid. Also there can be a "Pablo Banchero" on a video game for which he gets compensated. If they put a Duke jersey on him that's a completely independent deal with the school, it doesn't effect the player at all.
    Someone wants too put their picture on a t-shirt that is a certain shade of blue? Go ahead and get paid. Again, the word "Duke" may be relevant to the school and the t-shirt manufacturer, but that's not part of the player's ability to monetize his or her NIL.
    Much of the NIL revenue will be from the new NFT marketplace. For those unfamiliar, this stands for Non-Fungible Token. Several notable celebrities have announced their participation in NFT platforms such as Tom Brady's Autograph. An NFT is a digitalized registration of an image or a physical item, using a blockchain to document the creator, the buyer and any sales of usage rights. Entertainers and athletes are starting to sell songs, photographs, art, signatures, jerseys, etc. using NFT's. I believe that NFT's will be the centerpiece of the NIL world.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Much of the NIL revenue will be from the new NFT marketplace. For those unfamiliar, this stands for Non-Fungible Token. Several notable celebrities have announced their participation in NFT platforms such as Tom Brady's Autograph. An NFT is a digitalized registration of an image or a physical item, using a blockchain to document the creator, the buyer and any sales of usage rights. Entertainers and athletes are starting to sell songs, photographs, art, signatures, jerseys, etc. using NFT's. I believe that NFT's will be the centerpiece of the NIL world.
    Is is possible that boosters might become involved in this world? Perhaps to provide monetary incentive to attend a particular school?




    Asking for a friend who would like to give deserving young athletes a boost.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Is is possible that boosters might become involved in this world? Perhaps to provide monetary incentive to attend a particular school?
    Asking for a friend who would like to give deserving young athletes a boost.
    Anyone can buy an athletes NFT's. I imagine there will need to be restrictions and disclosures to meet existing rules on support.

  11. #31
    Just as Eddie Cameron visioned the Atlantic Coast Conference, Duke can be the lead in a new confederation. The Patriot League model can be fine tuned and applied in Duke’ s region. As the leading private university in the region, indeed, Duke has this responsibility. We all know who to include: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, etc. This approach is more consistent with the university values than the folly of continued competition with Power Five public state universities. Their athletic departments are influenced too much by external interests.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Just as Eddie Cameron visioned the Atlantic Coast Conference, Duke can be the lead in a new confederation. The Patriot League model can be fine tuned and applied in Duke’ s region. As the leading private university in the region, indeed, Duke has this responsibility. We all know who to include: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, etc. This approach is more consistent with the university values than the folly of continued competition with Power Five public state universities. Their athletic departments are influenced too much by external interests.
    I would watch that Leaugue. Bring it on.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I would watch that Leaugue. Bring it on.
    I would too. But that would require Duke to leave piles and piles of money on the table.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Anyone can buy an athletes NFT's. I imagine there will need to be restrictions and disclosures to meet existing rules on support.
    I don’t think you can open the flood gates just a little. Your kidding yourselves if you think NIL money is going to come mostly from players’ intrinsic value on social media. The money will come from boosters and fans of the school. The winners will be the schools whose fans and boosters can bundle the most sales revenue for the players. Most players will see a sharp decrease in their “NIL” income after their NCAA careers end. Recruiting commitments will be replaced by contracts.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it will be interesting to see with K gone and NIL whether duke will be able to support the current donation levels for season tickets moving forward.
    I'm wondering or perhaps hoping that Duke will upgrade the non-conference home schedule to make sure supporters remain highly motivated to cough up big bucks for season tickets in Cameron.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would too. But that would require Duke to leave piles and piles of money on the table.
    I think you’re right. Like fantasy football, I don’t understand the appeal of pulling for mercenaries but people will watch.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We all knew this was coming. I see it as overdue. Let's get it all out from under the tablecloth and in the open.
    What will UNC do to cheat now? Can't wait to find out.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    What will UNC do to cheat now? Can't wait to find out.
    One semester PHD program in “Sports Preparation”? Nah that will probably be legal compensation.

  19. #39
    Is the thought here that boosters would provide avenues of NIL opportunity for out "student-athletes"? Sorry, I'm a little late to the discussion here. I'm otherwise confused how school boosters would come in to play, since new NIL legislation, I don't believe, is license to hand out wads of cash to players.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Much of the NIL revenue will be from the new NFT marketplace. For those unfamiliar, this stands for Non-Fungible Token. Several notable celebrities have announced their participation in NFT platforms such as Tom Brady's Autograph. An NFT is a digitalized registration of an image or a physical item, using a blockchain to document the creator, the buyer and any sales of usage rights. Entertainers and athletes are starting to sell songs, photographs, art, signatures, jerseys, etc. using NFT's. I believe that NFT's will be the centerpiece of the NIL world.
    I don't believe NFTs will be the centerpiece of anything. Some people might, and have made a quick buck on them, but the market is currently demonstrating there is little interest in their long term value...since they have no intrinsic value.
    basketball is back, baby!

Similar Threads

  1. Name Image Likeness
    By hallcity in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-27-2021, 04:58 PM
  2. NCAA caves, allows athletes to make money off their likeness
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-30-2019, 06:19 PM
  3. NCAA forms Comm on Name, Image, Likeness Benefits
    By bundabergdevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM
  4. Self-image ... would you rather
    By DukeandMdFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM
  5. image gallery
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •