Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    I think this is only a good thing for college basketball.

Its about time they started to pay the athletes after decades of taking advantage of them and enriching the schools/governing bodies.

I'd even go so far as to say that some players might opt to stay LONGER in college, as a result of being paid for their NIL, rather than risk going undrafted and signing a minimum wage contract (or worse).

For the most visible teams such as Duke, it would be easy for superstars coming out of HS to build a brand here.

The money will only increase as the interest in CBB increases again. It would be a way to combat the g league forking out 500k to kids to play in obscurity for a year.

Better to play 20 times on national TV since brand/advertising pay would likely far exceed any salary the G league would pay for the top players.
    I’ll bite the bullet and become a billionaire. Then I’ll offer the top 5 kids in every class about $5 million a year to go to Duke. Titles all the time. You’re welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Do you have a link or something that talks about this?
    From Bojangles Instagram page, if you view their stories it shows a reel of names that are being welcomed to their team. Several athletes are involved including Wendell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I can eat there comfortably once again
    I've actually been a little curious as to whether corporate marketing departments are factoring in whether sponsoring a team or athlete will lead to NEGATIVE advertising due to fans of opposing teams. There are a lot of Duke fans, but there are even more Duke haters. From the standpoint of TV advertisements it doesn't matter whether viewers are tuning in to root for Duke or to root against us, but if you're attaching a brand name to us then there will legitimately be people who stop buying your product because of it. I know I would pause before buying something from a corporation who sponsors UNC-CHeat. Maybe not as big a deal for the big national brands, but moreso for local businesses. Bojangles was smart that they covered the whole triangle so everybody has a reason to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I've actually been a little curious as to whether corporate marketing departments are factoring in whether sponsoring a team or athlete will lead to NEGATIVE advertising due to fans of opposing teams. There are a lot of Duke fans, but there are even more Duke haters. From the standpoint of TV advertisements it doesn't matter whether viewers are tuning in to root for Duke or to root against us, but if you're attaching a brand name to us then there will legitimately be people who stop buying your product because of it. I know I would pause before buying something from a corporation who sponsors UNC-CHeat. Maybe not as big a deal for the big national brands, but moreso for local businesses. Bojangles was smart that they covered the whole triangle so everybody has a reason to support them.
    I know several people involved in advertising and corporate sponsorships at UPS. They have a hefty NCAA sponsorship and back when they were running the We Love Logistics campaign, they also ran ads during March Madness featuring famous plays in tournament history. One, of course, was 'the shot'. The point of the ad was that w/o the pass, there would have been 'no shot' and that's what logistics does --- gets something where and when it needs to go.

ANYWAY, the entire state of UK was pissed and threatened to boycott UPS. My contacts at UPS said it was one of the most ferocious social media backlashes they've seen, etc, etc... kind of funny.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    As a Public Service, I present this insightful perspective on academics and athletics. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOg8EON29Y

My main complaint, however, is that these guys studiously avoid the NIL issue. Probably just too inflammatory. It's a process.
    The graphics on that were spot on perfect, ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yes, but the demographic of people who care as much as you and I do is not very large.

I mean, Bojangles was already sponsoring all three Triangle teams, so it isn't like some big new thing where suddenly they're choosing sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, Bojangles was already sponsoring all three Triangle teams, so it isn't like some big new thing where suddenly they're choosing sides.
    I'm on another message board with fans of all three schools. When Bojangles announced the sponsorship of Howell, all the State fans said they would no longer eat there. Then they announced they were sponsoring Cam Hayes too and the State fans were suddenly okay with it. The UNC fans who previously said they were going to START eating at Bojangles after the Howell deal then turned around and said they actually wouldn't. The Duke fans were pretty ambivalent about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I know several people involved in advertising and corporate sponsorships at UPS. They have a hefty NCAA sponsorship and back when they were running the We Love Logistics campaign, they also ran ads during March Madness featuring famous plays in tournament history. One, of course, was 'the shot'. The point of the ad was that w/o the pass, there would have been 'no shot' and that's what logistics does --- gets something where and when it needs to go.

ANYWAY, the entire state of UK was pissed and threatened to boycott UPS. My contacts at UPS said it was one of the most ferocious social media backlashes they've seen, etc, etc... kind of funny.
    Fun story. And particularly ironic given that UPS is one of the largest private employers in the state as they have a huge hub in Louisville, so there are a lot of people in Kentucky whose livelihoods depend on Kentucky. But Christian Laettner...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm on another message board with fans of all three schools. When Bojangles announced the sponsorship of Howell, all the State fans said they would no longer eat there. Then they announced they were sponsoring Cam Hayes too and the State fans were suddenly okay with it. The UNC fans who previously said they were going to START eating at Bojangles after the Howell deal then turned around and said they actually wouldn't. The Duke fans were pretty ambivalent about it all.
    That's a great smile inducing story on a Monday. Ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Don’t start messing with my ‘Jangles sweet tea!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Don’t start messing with my ‘Jangles sweet tea!
    I don't understand how anybody who isn't a kid can drink liquid sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I don't understand how anybody who isn't a kid can drink liquid sugar.
    Don’t forget the caffeine.

Just saw an NIL ad on a Duke player's social media account for the first time. Bojangles on Wendell Moore's twitter account.

Help Wendell out. Follow his twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Just saw an NIL ad on a Duke player's social media account for the first time. Bojangles on Wendell Moore's twitter account.

It was on his Instagram account too! As someone here suggested a few weeks ago, it costs you nothing to follow the players on Twitter or Instagram, if you have an account. But it helps them monetize their social media. So I followed all our players on Instagram, and encourage others to follow on Twitter and Instagram as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

I thought ALL endorsed posts have to have "#ad" in them? Maybe these guys are just getting the hang of this thing though. Or maybe that law is more specific than I thought.

I just booked a Trevor Keels Cameo. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My first, personal experience in the new NIL era. Gimme something good Keel Mode!

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    I just booked a Trevor Keels Cameo. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My first, personal experience in the new NIL era. Gimme something good Keel Mode!
    Trevor Roach, Mark Williams and Wendell Moore are also available.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Trevor Roach, Mark Williams and Wendell Moore are also available.
    Roach, Moore and Keel are doing a one day basketball camp in Apex on 8/7/21.

I would have loved being a Duke athlete sponsored by Cheetos.