Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but doesn't NIL offer a chance to save the big name bowls? Offer the players big endorsement deals for playing in the game, with winners getting the big prize. Top players will quit sitting out as frequently and some meaning will return to the games for the players (and once they become competitive again, there will be meaning again for the fans). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious (and apologies if something like this was already discussed!).
    i assume that would be against most schools or states' policies.

Being able to exploit NIL does not mean you can get paid for anything, especially not paid to play the sport, and especially not being paid to represent the school. Those are still no-no's.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i assume that would be against most schools or states' policies.

Being able to exploit NIL does not mean you can get paid for anything, especially not paid to play the sport, and especially not being paid to represent the school. Those are still no-no's.
    You don't pay them to play. You sign them to endorse whoever the sponsor of the bowl is. They already have the players do a bunch of media availability/promotional stuff, no reason they couldn't be paid for that under the current rules as I understand them. Maybe you have to strike the part about rewarding it to the winner like prize money, but an even split among all players or whatever is fine too.

You don't pay them to play. You sign them to endorse whoever the sponsor of the bowl is. They already have the players do a bunch of media availability/promotional stuff, no reason they couldn't be paid for that under the current rules as I understand them. Maybe you have to strike the part about rewarding it to the winner like prize money, but an even split among all players or whatever is fine too.
    eh, i'm guessing that kind of wink-wink-nudge-nudge agreement would be frowned upon by most school's compliance things...doesn't mean it wouldn't happen, but given what these guys seem to be making, I doubt that kind of deal would be worth it for the kind of kid sitting out to prepare for the draft.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    eh, i'm guessing that kind of wink-wink-nudge-nudge agreement would be frowned upon by most school's compliance things...doesn't mean it wouldn't happen, but given what these guys seem to be making, I doubt that kind of deal would be worth it for the kind of kid sitting out to prepare for the draft.
    Well, I can only see NIL rules getting looser over time. Certainly something I think could be on the table down the road (I'm not suggesting they would start doing it this year or anything).

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Those are pretty slick.

Those are pretty slick.
    They kinda look like boobs…
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    That’s a weird take. Looks like good graphics to me.

It can be both?

Agreed.

It can be a nice graphic and look like an anatomical structure.

The fact that’s it’s on the front of a t shirt just reinforces what I see.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

They look like something totally different to me. But I may be skewed by my peyronie’s symptoms.

A winning marketing strategy.

Report: Texas A&M Boosters Spending $30M to Secure #1 Class

Texas A&M has a killer football class incoming next season, with a wide gap ahead of #2 Alabama. It might be one of the best classes of all time. According to one report, boosters have coordinated efforts to spend ~$30M to get the commitments. Note that this process is not driven by the program itself. I admittedly hadn't heard of that source ("BroBible"), but a quick google search doesn't seem to indicate it's like spam or anything. But I will admit to not be aware of its reputability completely. It's a magazine/blog site targeting younger men as an audience apparently (around since 2008).

This is supposedly the process that have in place:
    • A recruit is targeted for a specific recruiting class.
    • A “point donor” then heads the recruiting effort.
    • The “point donor” gathers other donors around him.
    • Those donors create an LLC.
    • The LLC sponsors the targeted recruit and pays out deals for NIL if/when he enrolls.
    • That recruit, upon arrival on campus, receives money from the LLC.
    • In turn, the recruit promotes the LLC and its “cause,” whether that be a charity or a business

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Texas A&M has a killer football class incoming next season, with a wide gap ahead of #2 Alabama. It might be one of the best classes of all time. According to one report, boosters have coordinated efforts to spend ~$30M to get the commitments. Note that this process is not driven by the program itself. I admittedly hadn't heard of that source ("BroBible"), but a quick google search doesn't seem to indicate it's like spam or anything. But I will admit to not be aware of its reputability completely. It's a magazine/blog site targeting younger men as an audience apparently (around since 2008).

This is supposedly the process that have in place:
    Holy crap. What's the end game here. Donors gone wild.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Gee, who saw that coming, he says, voice dripping with sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Gee, who saw that coming, he says, voice dripping with sarcasm.
    Yeah I’m shocked, shocked that boosters have found a way to use something pure and whimsical as NIL marketing to buy recruits!

This sounds to me like the market determining the value of these players. It may initially smell wrong, but whatever they are being paid seems entirely fair to me.

Of course, it raises the question why we are even calling these kids student-athletes any more and they are pretty much pro players.

What I worry about is what the boosters say when the player isn't quite performing up to snuff and it is because he is enjoying his English Comp class. Do the boosters tell him to pick going to class over his $million dollar deal? This is why we need the NCAA and the school involved in the process, to ensure some integrity and protection for these kids.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This sounds to me like the market determining the value of these players. It may initially smell wrong, but whatever they are being paid seems entirely fair to me.

Of course, it raises the question why we are even calling these kids student-athletes any more and they are pretty much pro players.

What I worry about is what the boosters say when the player isn't quite performing up to snuff and it is because he is enjoying his English Comp class. Do the boosters tell him to pick going to class over his $million dollar deal? This is why we need the NCAA and the school involved in the process, to ensure some integrity and protection for these kids.
    No offense Jason but the bolded part made me laugh out loud.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

You could say that academic integrity is more important for football, with minimum three years before the NFL, than for basketball, with minimum one year before the NBA. Overall, a very small percentage actually leave early and they are the ones who will get the most NIL money. Its the ones who don't leave early that stand to lose out on a good education in the shadow of NIL influence.