Verne Lundquist retiring

The iconic Verne Lundquist is retiring- this weekend is his last Masters. How blessed of a life can one have? I grew up listening to Verne. The Jack Nicklaus 1986 call at the Masters. The 2005 Tiger call at the Masters.

Maybe the most iconic, "There's the pass to Laettner, puts it up, Yesss!".

And of course, "Who the hell is Happy Gilmore?"

So many iconic calls. I wish him well in retirement! And gonna miss that voice.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The iconic Verne Lundquist is retiring- this weekend is his last Masters. How blessed of a life can one have? I grew up listening to Verne. The Jack Nicklaus 1986 call at the Masters. The 2005 Tiger call at the Masters.

Thanks for sharing. Verne is a legend. He will be missed.

“YESSSSSS!”

Verne always had a sense of the moment, and would let his silence speak volumes at peak sports moments. One of the greats.

I dunno that these are all that great calls (a few of them certainly are) but this seems like something worth dropping in here --

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno that these are all that great calls (a few of them certainly are) but this seems like something worth dropping in here --

They had him on for an interview yesterday on Golf Channels "Live At The Masters", recapping how his career started and some of his most iconic golf calls.

The man was/is brilliant at painting the picture of emotion for the viewer.

Funny story about Vern, he was initially enrolled in seminary school to study theology. Glad that didn't work out lol.

His Laettner call will live in my brain until I die. Whenever I've been harassed by Kentucky fans, I simply smile and say, in my best Verne imitation, "There's the pass to Laettner. . . . Put's it up . . . YESSSSSS!".

Then I walk away, chuckling.

The best part, the most impressive part, perhaps, of the Laettner call is how immediately after the shot hits the bottom of the net, Elmore and Lundquist know to lay out (for several minutes) and let the moment speak for itself.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    The best part, the most impressive part, perhaps, of the Laettner call is how immediately after the shot hits the bottom of the net, Elmore and Lundquist know to lay out (for several minutes) and let the moment speak for itself.
    Vern must have covered the donkey's mouth with his hand.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Elmore was so pissed off, for the first time in his announcing career he was speechless
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Yeah, Lundquist's '92 call is in my book on the '66 Verga game, in which the 92 game is presented
    as the rematch (so this is what happens when Duke is healthy when they play Kentucky; Duke wins,
    becomes national champions, and the game goes down in history). I actually liked the commentary
    on the Sean Woods shot directly before better.

Elmore: "That was a terrible shot!"

Lundquist: "Yeah, but it went in."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    ha, good one. Len did sour really well.

Great thread starter. I can hear it and it gives me chills.

And Scheffler just saw him off with a birdie on Augusta 16.

Verne is an old-timer from a different era. He was part of a singing group that did radio and then he migrated over to being a radio announcer who had a music show. He was on-air in Austin TX at the LBJ-owned AM station in 1963 when the news director came in asked for the mike. JFK had been shot in Dallas and had been due to come to Austin that same day. Different era.

Elmore ( on Laettner’s stomp) “ I don’t know if he meant to do that”
    Verne “ Yeah, he did”

I always laughed at that bit of indignation in Verne’s voice. He was saying what everyone was thinking.

He reminded me of Summerall in how he parsed his cadence and words to capture the moment.

The Georgia Auburn game (hail Mary)
    ....and one week later the Auburn 106 yard KO return versus Bama...both Verne.
    Laettner? Verne.
    Tiger's chip in on 16...that hung on the lip for few seconds? Verne.

And let's not forget...SECONDS after Laettner's shot...and after his brilliant BEST EVER silent minute...he went right to the 74 State Maryland game...he was amazing. IS amazing.