Page 19 of 77 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here's a pretty neat story. Paolo Banchero will be playable in the new NBA 2K22 and able to be drafted in franchise mode. He's the first college player to be included in one of the 2K games since EA Sports left the college business. Another win for Duke in the NIL game, no doubt.

https://boardroom.tv/paolo-banchero-nba-2k22-nil/
    I really need someone with 2K22 to tell us Paolo's skill rankings and the such for the game... and how he matches up with some other NBA players.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I really need someone with 2K22 to tell us Paolo's skill rankings and the such for the game... and how he matches up with some other NBA players.
    I can do that when I get home from work

SO cool. I want a college basketball game so badly...
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 09-10-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I can do that when I get home from work

SO cool. I want a college basketball game so badly...
    Any progress on this?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Any progress on this?
    Oh man.. if they brought back NCAA basketball the video game, and you could play as Duke with actual player's names... Goodbye productivity.

Gable Steveson, the U.S. wrestler and Olympic gold medalist, has signed with the WWE.

He plans to return to the University of Minnesota for his senior year of wrestling. I'm not sure how that works, maybe because professional wrestling is considered an exhibition rather than a sport he can be a professional wrestler and then return to NCAA wrestling.

The kid is one heck of an athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Gable Steveson, the U.S. wrestler and Olympic gold medalist, has signed with the WWE.

He plans to return to the University of Minnesota for his senior year of wrestling. I'm not sure how that works, maybe because professional wrestling is considered an exhibition rather than a sport he can be a professional wrestler and then return to NCAA wrestling.

The kid is one heck of an athlete.
    Won't actually be making WWE performances until after he completes his college career.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/...-year-deal-wwe

The 21-year-old signed a NIL deal with WWE that will allow him to attend the University of Minnesota for his senior year and defend the Division I national championship at heavyweight. WWE will set up a remote training facility for Steveson near campus where he'll learn the finer points of in-ring work with WWE coaches.

He'll also have access to the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, where his brother, Bobby Steveson, currently trains. After Gable Steveson graduates in May, his multiyear talent contract with WWE will begin

And he earned $250,000 from USA Wrestling for his Olympic Gold Medal win. Which also did not affect his college eligibility.

Adrian Griffin has signed with CAA, just as Paolo did earlier in the summer. This is huge for the players, they'll be able to make real money in college and begin building their brand. Also huge for Duke as a recruiting tool obviously. Will be looking forward to seeing what sort of endorsement deals he lands, as he seems like a marketable guy.

I do wonder how it may affect the players; let's say Griffin struggles on the court and gets benched for a game or two. Will CAA agents pressure Coach K to get him back on the floor, since they've invested a bunch of money in him? Also what sort of time commitments are involved for a player who is already stretched between practice, games, and going to class? Lots to be figured out in this new era.

griffin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Adrian Griffin has signed with CAA, just as Paolo did earlier in the summer. This is huge for the players, they'll be able to make real money in college and begin building their brand. Also huge for Duke as a recruiting tool obviously. Will be looking forward to seeing what sort of endorsement deals he lands, as he seems like a marketable guy.

I do wonder how it may affect the players; let's say Griffin struggles on the court and gets benched for a game or two. Will CAA agents pressure Coach K to get him back on the floor, since they've invested a bunch of money in him? Also what sort of time commitments are involved for a player who is already stretched between practice, games, and going to class? Lots to be figured out in this new era.

griffin.jpg
    pretty sure k would just as soon cut someone than be bullied by an agent to give anyone minutes he didn't want to

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    pretty sure k would just as soon cut someone than be bullied by an agent to give anyone minutes he didn't want to
    I'm sure that's true for the greatest coach of all time, yes, and for his successor, as well. I'm not sure that's true throughout college sports, however, particularly if said agent/company offers the coach an "endorsement" deal, too. The opportunities for corruption have been greatly multiplied by NIL, especially since there seems to be little in the way of enforcement, whether that is by design or just lack of experience on the part of the NCAA and the respective conferences.

I’m not even worried so much about corruption or malicious intent by anyone, I’m just curious about how players are going to be pulled in different directions and different parties may have different interests. I trust Duke to manage things well, but I also think there will be a learning curve for everyone as we’re entering chartered territory.

I’m not even worried so much about corruption or malicious intent by anyone, I’m just curious about how players are going to be pulled in different directions and different parties may have different interests. I trust Duke to manage things well, but I also think there will be a learning curve for everyone as we’re entering chartered territory.
    Geno and Paige Beuckers both had interviews where they talked about this, and she is likely ATM, the most bankable player in women's college basketball....and what it ultimately came down to is "if you're not playing well, if you're not winning, the money thing stops. So go out and do whatever, but if you want to take it to the bank, you got to get it done on the court."

I imagine that is true for most men as well. Nobody is tossing money to the once highly ranked recruit who transferred twice for minutes and ends up riding the bench to anonymity.
    April 1

Paolo continues to break new ground as the first college basketball player signed by trading card company Panini. I've honestly never heard of them and had no idea that trading cards were still a thing, but the fact that he's at the forefront of new NIL deals is obviously a great thing for him and for Duke.

link

Joey Baker signs with Bojangles. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of theirs, much prefer KFC, but I like that they're getting involved with athletes from all three of the triangle schools.

baker.jpg

Joey Baker signs with Bojangles. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of theirs, much prefer KFC, but I like that they're getting involved with athletes from all three of the triangle schools.

baker.jpg
    Awesome news.

Any idea what the terms are for any of the Bojangles deals? How much money? How many free pieces of Bojangles? Can your teammates - especially Mark Williams - get free Bojangles too?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

baker.jpg
    oooo them's fightin' words!
    April 1

baker.jpg
    It's okay. I have some very close friends who are wrong about lots of things.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of theirs,
    This is fine, different strokes for different folks...

much prefer KFC
    Unfathomable. Worst chicken in the fast food industry and their sides are no good ever since they got rid of the potato wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Worst chicken in the fast food industry and their sides are no good ever since they got rid of the potato wedges.
    I used to order potato wedges and mashed potatoes... and I would dip the wedges in the mashed so I could eat potatoes with my potatoes.

I used to order potato wedges and mashed potatoes... and I would dip the wedges in the mashed so I could eat potatoes with my potatoes.
    if you're ever in berlin, I humbly suggest:

https://www.berliner-kartoffelhaus.de/

literally "potato house" where they have 19 flavors of potato

1. Potato pea mash
    2. Potato celery mash
    3. Potato mash
    4. Sweet potato mash
    5. Potato pancake
    6. french fries
    7. cheese fries
    8. Sweet potato fries
    9. Sweet Potato wedges