Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Cameo is an interesting choice. I have a good friend who is an executive recruiter. He uses Cameo to send a personal messages to potential recruits. So he would look for someone of interest to the target hire. He spends $100 - $300 usually. This would be great for Duke fans and/or graduates. There are a lot of B list celebrities and one-hit-wonders on there. This would definitely appeal more to the older Duke fans who want to support Duke basketball and send BDay, anniversary, engagement or wedding greetings to a fellow Duke fan. I’m sure next year’s recruits can see how well Duke players did on Cameo vs UK for instance. So it’s up to us!!
    I got a Tre Jones cameo form my nephew after Jones declared. Jones sent it within about a half hour, and it was a major hit! He certainly didn’t get Zion Nike money for it.

I imagine Baldwin hurt his earning potential this year by picking UWM over Duke. We would have to be the most marketable school in recent years, followed by Kentucky. That will drop some after K retires, but we should still be top shelf.

I imagine NIL particularly could benefit some of the National champion college quarterbacks who really weren’t NFL starter caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I guess the one thing I’d say is that he’s ostensibly paying them all the same thing. So not necessarily singling out certain top recruits and paying them directly. Maybe. Who knows. But I’m not gonna sit here and argue that these kids shouldn’t get a few bucks in their pocket given their role in helping their universities make wads of cash.
    I guarantee that when Miami coaches go out to recruit, they will tell every kid that coming to Miami means significant money in your pocket every single month. That $500/month is just the tip of the iceberg.

And that means that Florida and FSU boosters will feel pressure to step up and match (or beat). Which will likely cause Georgia and Alabama and Clemson to also match. And so on and so on.

Oh, and when the Miami equivalent of the Iron Dukes comes calling on Dan Lambert to make his annual contribution to the athletic department, I suspect he will fail to match last year's figure because he has dedicated $500k per year to direct payments to the football players. And, suddenly, the Miami athletic budget is gonna be extra strained.

And now you know why the schools were so reluctant to let NIL come into being. They would have been smarter several years ago to put in some other kind of "pay the players" mechanism that they could have controlled a bit more.

The next six months or so are gonna be really cray-cray in college sports!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I guarantee that when Miami coaches go out to recruit, they will tell every kid that coming to Miami means significant money in your pocket every single month. That $500/month is just the tip of the iceberg.

And that means that Florida and FSU boosters will feel pressure to step up and match (or beat). Which will likely cause Georgia and Alabama and Clemson to also match. And so on and so on.

Oh, and when the Miami equivalent of the Iron Dukes comes calling on Dan Lambert to make his annual contribution to the athletic department, I suspect he will fail to match last year's figure because he has dedicated $500k per year to direct payments to the football players. And, suddenly, the Miami athletic budget is gonna be extra strained.

And now you know why the schools were so reluctant to let NIL come into being. They would have been smarter several years ago to put in some other kind of "pay the players" mechanism that they could have controlled a bit more.

The next six months or so are gonna be really cray-cray in college sports!
    Yikes. I would suggest the previous 18 months were pretty cray-cray for college sports. If it gets much more cray, I don't know if I can stand it.

And yes, this was always the downside of this scenario for the schools: they aren't the responsible party for paying the athletes - however, one assumes there is a finite amount that boosters will pay for sports. So if that money is going directly to the players, the university may see a substantial cut in donations.

But, that was generally the idea, right? That all the money around college revenue sports was landing everywhere except the talent?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The kid that I posted about in the thread noting how "High School" basketball is changing is now going to be a millionaire.

He's still 2 years away from college. (If he goes.)

Williams, a San Diego native who will attend Lake Norman Christian in Huntersville, North Carolina, and play for Vertical Academy, has signed a deal with Excel Sports Management that Excel vice president Matt Davis said he believes "will generate millions of dollars for this young man."
    https://www.espn.com/high-school/sto...asketball-star
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The kid that I posted about in the thread noting how "High School" basketball is changing is now going to be a millionaire.

I haven't spent a ton of time reading about NIL, but I am still surprised that it just now occurred to me that with kids with incredible social media followings, their maximum earning potential could be between the ages of 16-20 if they don't pan out as pros. It's back to the child star paradigm. The way this stuff plays out is going to be so interesting with lots of mess but also a lot upside if played correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I haven't spent a ton of time reading about NIL, but I am still surprised that it just now occurred to me that with kids with incredible social media followings, their maximum earning potential could be between the ages of 16-20 if they don't pan out as pros. It's back to the child star paradigm. The way this stuff plays out is going to be so interesting with lots of mess but also a lot upside if played correctly.
    Well, one could argue that being a washed up basketball player at age 19 with a few million dollars is better than being a washed up basketball player at 19 without a few million dollars.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, one could argue that being a washed up basketball player at age 19 with a few million dollars is better than being a washed up basketball player at 19 without a few million dollars.
    The first one can pay the other one to mow his lawn.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yep...

You think Maurice Clarett would have turned out differently? I do...

But, yeah, I suppose getting the fame/fortune early for SOME guys will may be detrimental in certain ways. But for those that have no pro prospects, this definitely could be a goldmine. I wouldn't mind a few million...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep...

You think Maurice Clarett would have turned out differently? I do...

But, yeah, I suppose getting the fame/fortune early for SOME guys will may be detrimental in certain ways. But for those that have no pro prospects, this definitely could be a goldmine. I wouldn't mind a few million...
    I agree.

I don't like this paternalistic view that money will somehow ruin these kids because they are ignorant or unprepared.

I don't mind the view that this money may ruin college sports - I think it will definitely change things, and some for the worse. I just see my entertainment value as being less important than the fair opportunities presented to these young men to cash in on their talents.

OSU football player selling $50 hoodies with a Tweet from someone asking who would pay $50 for a Luke Wypler hoodie. That's genius.

OSU football player selling $50 hoodies with a Tweet from someone asking who would pay $50 for a Luke Wypler hoodie. That's genius.
    Did he license that tweet?

I’d be interested to see NIL agreement. Does the sweatshirt vendor have exclusive rights or just a percentage on every sweatshirt sold? For how long? How does Luke Wypler insure he’s getting paid what he is due without an agent to represent him?

Suni Lee about to cash in through NIL- but probably would have done just fine without it.

https://www.al.com/auburn/2021/07/le...at-auburn.html

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Suni Lee about to cash in through NIL- but probably would have done just fine without it.

https://www.al.com/auburn/2021/07/le...at-auburn.html
    But probably wouldn't continue to be in college without it, so there's that.

It's official: Wendell Moore has been signed by Bojangles! The franchise has inked a number of college athletes, including UNC-CHeat quarterback Sam Howell and NC State guard Cam Hayes. They've got the triangle pretty well covered.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's official: Wendell Moore has been signed by Bojangles! The franchise has inked a number of college athletes, including UNC-CHeat quarterback Sam Howell and NC State guard Cam Hayes. They've got the triangle pretty well covered.
    I can eat there comfortably once again

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Do you have a link or something that talks about this?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Broadening the Discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

As a Public Service, I present this insightful perspective on academics and athletics. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOg8EON29Y

My main complaint, however, is that these guys studiously avoid the NIL issue. Probably just too inflammatory. It's a process.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I got a Tre Jones cameo form my nephew after Jones declared. Jones sent it within about a half hour, and it was a major hit! He certainly didn’t get Zion Nike money for it.

I imagine Baldwin hurt his earning potential this year by picking UWM over Duke. We would have to be the most marketable school in recent years, followed by Kentucky. That will drop some after K retires, but we should still be top shelf.

I imagine NIL particularly could benefit some of the National champion college quarterbacks who really weren’t NFL starter caliber.
    I just booked a Keel mode cameo. Can't wait!

I think this is only a good thing for college basketball.

Its about time they started to pay the athletes after decades of taking advantage of them and enriching the schools/governing bodies.

I'd even go so far as to say that some players might opt to stay LONGER in college, as a result of being paid for their NIL, rather than risk going undrafted and signing a minimum wage contract (or worse).

For the most visible teams such as Duke, it would be easy for superstars coming out of HS to build a brand here.

The money will only increase as the interest in CBB increases again. It would be a way to combat the g league forking out 500k to kids to play in obscurity for a year.

Better to play 20 times on national TV since brand/advertising pay would likely far exceed any salary the G league would pay for the top players.