Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Sunglasses

I just had my second cataract surgery so will need new non-prescription sunglasses.

Any recommendations. Most use would be walking, golf and driving.

Trying to figure out if the high priced ones are worth it.

Thanks

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ncloud-rambler

these look decent. I bought some fancier Sun Clouds on my first trip to L.A. in 1981 and I still have them...rugged and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I just had my second cataract surgery so will need new non-prescription sunglasses.

Thanks
    As seen on TV - HD Vision Special Ops Tactical sunglasses.

Who cares if you can see out of them when you look cool being seen in them?

But wait... Buy one, get one.

tactical-sunglasses.jpg

Thanks
    I still have prescription sunglasses because I need to be able to read my golf score card. Basically high priced sun glasses/reading glasses. That said, you need UV protection (UV-A and UV-B).
    ~rthomas

Funny

Thanks
    I just read a very positive review of this brand's sunglasses, which are quite reasonably priced. Haven't worn them myself, but I usually buy pretty inexpensive sunglasses that are polarized.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718XJ2P8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks
    As long as you're careful and don't routinely lose sunglasses, sit on them, etc., I find it's worth it to buy more expensive ones and have them for a number of years. I've had Maui Jim and Ray-Ban, both converted to Rx, and loved them. I also wanted a pair of non-Rx for when I wear contacts and my optometrist recommended a less expensive, lesser known brand called Kaenon, which I also like very much.
    Last edited by Rich; 06-28-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Just checked Kaenon website and they're quite expensive too. I guess I got a deal on mine.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As long as you're careful and don't routinely lose sunglasses, sit on them, etc., I find it's worth it to buy more expensive ones and have them for a number of years. I've had Maui Jim and Ray-Ban, both converted to Rx, and loved them. I also wanted a pair of non-Rx for when I wear contacts and my optometrist recommended a less expensive, lesser known brand called Kaenon, which I also like very much.
    Agree with this advice. Both of those brands are long lasting and comfortable.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As long as you're careful and don't routinely lose sunglasses, sit on them, etc., I find it's worth it to buy more expensive ones and have them for a number of years.
    And if you're not, just see what Costco is selling. They're a cut above garbage cheapos but not so expensive you will feel a bit of heartache when you scratch, crush, or lose them. I'm rocking some "Timberland" labeled ones from Costco and have for a few years now. They regularly fall from my head (when I forget they're flipped up atop my ballcap) or out of my shirt neckline when I bend down, but they haven't gotten too scratched up, and have nice polarization. (they don't fall off during normal wear!) Came with a nice rigid case too. Maybe about $30.

Not an answer to the question asked, but I recently discovered Goodr sunglasses. They are affordable ($25) and the best running sunglasses that I have ever had (they don't slip at all). They aren't great for the beach, as the polarized coating will scratch off - otherwise, they are fantastic.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Not an answer to the question asked, but I recently discovered Goodr sunglasses. They are affordable ($25) and the best running sunglasses that I have ever had (they don't slip at all). They aren't great for the beach, as the polarized coating will scratch off - otherwise, they are fantastic.
    This company was started by some kids at WCU a few years ago. Polarized lenses, stylish, and a great price.
    Let's go Duke!

I've been really happy with my Natives.

Of course, TSA pinched a pair once...

-jk

I love Maui Jims. the lenses are really remarkable. I have several pair because they were part of the gift bag when we took the family to the Maui Invitational in 2018. There was no way that I was going to let my then 9 year old and then 7 year old get a pair of Maui Jims, so I got myself three pairs.

I got some prescription glasses from Warby Parker during COVID. Reasonably priced and their customer service is really good. They’ll send you up to five frames to try on at home before making the purchase, and you can use the front-facing camera on your phone to virtually try on almost any frame they have. Very low hassle.

I also got a pair of Barton Perreiras, which I love.

I have photochromics, and love them. My insurance plan allows me to turn a replacement pair into photochromic with no extra charge. UV-A & -B protective, too.

Ironically, my wayfarer polarized Ray Bans that I've had for just over 10 years are now at the bottom of a lake after I got squirted in the face with a water gun today... debating if I should go the same route or something else. They were in great shape and lasted forever (well, a decade...). I'll probably get something fairly nice again. I have cheapo sunglasses too and they just are so much flimsier and not as comfortable -- the build quality is simply not there but they're fine in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    My son got me some Goodr sunglasses. I love them! Affordable, non-slip, perfect for driving or running. I can't speak to sand, but I can speak to them rolling around my car and they survive nicely. They fit my face well and don't slip.

On one of my pairs, I got those stick-on lenses to turn them into readers.

Somebody should ping Corey Hard, get his opinion on the matter.

I like Kirkland lol. I think they're like $25 at Costco but they've been solid for me. They used to be made in italy but i think they're made in china now.

Thanks
    Im on the water daily . I get sunlight from above and below .i use smith optics
    Or costa delmars .the glass lense costas
    Are great .
    The clarity vs cvs cheapos is crazy .

I have a pair of $200 Ray-Ban aviators and $19 LUENX aviators from Amazon. I use my cheap ones in situations where I can take the risk of getting them beat up like at the beach or going to the pool. The Ray-Bans I save for mostly “safe” activities like following my wife around an outlet mall. This has worked well for me the last year or so. Comparing quality, the Ray-Bans for sure win. They are more comfortable and the clarity is a notch above.