Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That fan is going to get in trouble methinks.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/27/s...ntl/index.html
    As you know by now I'm sure, the authorities are trying to locate her. I suspect she'll be located pretty soon...heck, her omi or opi might even turn her in!

Bit of a disappointing stage for me today (on one level at least). I was hoping that the Lotto Soudal rider was going to be rewarded for all his hard work, but cycling can be a cruel sport in so many ways as we've seen in the last few days especially. Of course, once he was swallowed up by the peloton I must admit it was pretty cool seeing Mark Cavendish take the sprint. I confess that I've never really been a big fan of him (certainly have respected his race results), but with the health issue he had, the fact that his dominance appeared to be waning, etc., I'm impressed by his ability to bounce back from adversity. Chapeau, Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Bit of a disappointing stage for me today (on one level at least). I was hoping that the Lotto Soudal rider was going to be rewarded for all his hard work, but cycling can be a cruel sport in so many ways as we've seen in the last few days especially. Of course, once he was swallowed up by the peloton I must admit it was pretty cool seeing Mark Cavendish take the sprint. I confess that I've never really been a big fan of him (certainly have respected his race results), but with the health issue he had, the fact that his dominance appeared to be waning, etc., I'm impressed by his ability to bounce back from adversity. Chapeau, Mark!
    I've never been a big fan of his, either, and I can't even put my finger on why. I was not expecting to see him being so emotional after his win.

Seeing a breakaway, whether it is several riders or a solo rider, caught so close to the finish line is painful. You see it coming but all the yelling at the screen doesn't get them the victory.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I am a Mark Cavendish fan. Today was thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I saw that but what can they really do?
    Im not condoning the fans behavior.but the guy did run into it .
    I know it shouldnt have been there but.
    Im not a bicycle race fan.
    Besides injurys which i do not wish on any athlete .i have to admit i found it a tiny bit unbelievably comical.
    Your on a bike and you are not looking forward . Thats like walking into a door.

How do train for this then not pay attention.this just baffles me .

I stress the fan was wrong .
    That is a stunning take on the incident. 100% fault of fan, 0% fault of rider(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    That is a stunning take on the incident. 100% fault of fan, 0% fault of rider(s).
    Interesting search for the miscreant who caused the crash...consensus seems to be she fled to her home base in Germany, but that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting search for the miscreant who caused the crash...consensus seems to be she fled to her home base in Germany, but that's just a guess.
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pol...-france-crash/

They have taken someone into custody. Could be a 1,500 Euro fine and the individual riders could sue the person.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

They have taken someone into custody. Could be a 1,500 Euro fine and the individual riders could sue the person.
    I hope grandma and grandpa are proud.

Ha, funny how some initially tried to pawn her off as a German...she should be given a fitting punishment, maybe sentenced to washing 1000 bikes or something.

Ha, funny how some initially tried to pawn her off as a German...she should be given a fitting punishment, maybe sentenced to washing 1000 bikes or something.
    Probably speculated that because Opi & Omi are German terms. I think your suggested punishment would be perfect. It fits the crime - she wasn’t out to hurt anyone but was extremely careless. Instead she will be in social media hell once her name is exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Probably speculated that because Opi & Omi are German terms. I think your suggested punishment would be perfect. It fits the crime - she wasn’t out to hurt anyone but was extremely careless. Instead she will be in social media hell once her name is exposed.

I read on CNN.com that she could receive a maximum punishment of two years in prison, under French law (for something like "causing mayhem"). Knowing how seriously the French take the Tour de France, it would not surprise me if they prosecute her to the full extent of the law.
    Plus, I'm sure she will become a pariah in France, a little like the woman in Central Park in NYC who accused the African-American male (who was bird watching) of threatening her life when he confronted her about her dog not being on a leash.

she's an idiot for what she did, but they should have patrols that push back spectators, especially when the peloton is all wadded up...expecting that many folks to behave responsibly doesn't seem completely realistic...

she's an idiot for what she did, but they should have patrols that push back spectators, especially when the peloton is all wadded up...expecting that many folks to behave responsibly doesn't seem completely realistic...
    Yea, I'm amazed we have not seen similar incidents over the years (and I know there have been other rider/spectator collisions). Not uncommon to see spectators jump out onto the course (to try to get on TV, perhaps?). Just today, when watching the time trial, there was a close call between a rider and a spectator who jumped out to the side of the paved road right before the single rider came through. I guess it is just too hard to rope off roads and patrol them for 120 miles? Plus, it seems to be part of the ambiance of the Tour.

I’d like to see them make her complete the Tour de France circuit as punishment.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Remember when the spectators blocked Chris Froome so badly he got off and ran with his bicycle? Spectators making complete wankers of themselves at the Tour de France isn't new, causing a crash with a cardboard sign might be, but I think everybody got used to having no spectator issues last year so that now that everybody is back, attitudes have changed. The levels of wankerism that were tolerated more in the past are no longer going to be tolerated.

Ha, funny how some initially tried to pawn her off as a German...
    To be fair, parts of France are parts of Germany every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    [/B]

I read on CNN.com that she could receive a maximum punishment of two years in prison, under French law (for something like "causing mayhem"). Knowing how seriously the French take the Tour de France, it would not surprise me if they prosecute her to the full extent of the law.
    Plus, I'm sure she will become a pariah in France, a little like the woman in Central Park in NYC who accused the African-American male (who was bird watching) of threatening her life when he confronted her about her dog not being on a leash.
    There was a massive difference in those two acts. One was a deliberate racially motivated attack including lying to authorities, the other a careless moment of inattention. But you are right - social media will probably eviscerate them equally.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To be fair, parts of France are parts of Germany every so often.
    with Germany going out of the Euro competition, might they get cranky and start up again?

with Germany going out of the Euro competition, might they get cranky and start up again?
    Stay strong, Belgium. Stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Stay strong, Belgium. Stay strong.
    they bulge but they don't break