Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Black Coach in Celtics History - the Perils of Social Media

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/06/24/jay-williams-celtics-head-coach-tweet

I loved Jay’s book although I still want to call him Jason. I’m not on Twitter but if I was, I would have someone peer review my tweets. At work, I have someone review my work product even when I am sending it to a single individual. Notice the tweet from Jay doesn’t say he was hacked. It says it wasn’t him.

Jay may not have remembered all 5 black coaches in Celtics history, but how do you forget Bill Russell, KC Jones or Doc Rivers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Very happy that it's not Kara Lawson.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I have learned that the memories of my childhood are not always to be trusted. I didn't realize that Bill Russell was player-coach for 3 seasons. I thought it was 1. Do any of our NBA historians know why he didn't continue to coach the Celtics after retiring as a player? All I can find is he retired as player/coach & maybe it was a simple as that. He wanted a break.

He came back to coach Seattle 5 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by attackdog View Post
    https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/06/24/jay-williams-celtics-head-coach-tweet

I loved Jay’s book although I still want to call him Jason. I’m not on Twitter but if I was, I would have someone peer review my tweets. At work, I have someone review my work product even when I am sending it to a single individual. Notice the tweet from Jay doesn’t say he was hacked. It says it wasn’t him.

Jay may not have remembered all 5 black coaches in Celtics history, but how do you forget Bill Russell, KC Jones or Doc Rivers.
    Jay and other prominent media figures almost certainly have social media teams. My guess is some tweets from his account are actually him and some are social media managers. I’d guess that is the context of his response

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Jay and other prominent media figures almost certainly have social media teams. My guess is some tweets from his account are actually him and some are social media managers. I’d guess that is the context of his response
    That's giving Jay a lot of credit.

I don't understand why celebrities seem incapable of a simple mea cupla anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's giving Jay a lot of credit.

I don't understand why celebrities seem incapable of a simple mea cupla anymore.
    Maybe. A lot of the C-Suite execs in some of my companies have had Twitter/LinkedIn accounts to help position them as “thought leaders” or “influencers”. They were almost never responsible for the content and sometimes didn’t even bother reviewing what was posted to their named accounts.

I assume it’s pretty similar with prominent media personalities so it wouldn’t surprise me if a social media manager posted it on Jay’s behalf.

Maybe I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe. A lot of the C-Suite execs in some of my companies have had Twitter/LinkedIn accounts to help position them as “thought leaders” or “influencers”. They were almost never responsible for the content and sometimes didn’t even bother reviewing what was posted to their named accounts.

I assume it’s pretty similar with prominent media personalities so it wouldn’t surprise me if a social media manager posted it on Jay’s behalf.

Even if it is someone on his staff, he has to do a better PR job than "I changed my password."

I love Jay. I just find the lack of accountability to be... everywhere.

"I got hacked" is the new "the devil made me do it."

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    It's slightly better than "I apologize if anyone was offended."

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    It was just a joke, bro!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I have learned that the memories of my childhood are not always to be trusted. I didn't realize that Bill Russell was player-coach for 3 seasons. I thought it was 1. Do any of our NBA historians know why he didn't continue to coach the Celtics after retiring as a player? All I can find is he retired as player/coach & maybe it was a simple as that. He wanted a break.

He came back to coach Seattle 5 years later.
    As I recall the news of that day, Russell's retirement was a surprise to GM Red Auerbach, who said when told of Russell's surprise announcement, "That can't be true. We don't have a center." Sure enough it was a full year after Russell left before the Celtics found Dave Cowens through the draft.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

What's funny about this is...

...someone "hacked" JayWill's twitter and that's what they tweeted? A very positive note that is inaccurate? Really? No "eff Duke!" or "Stephen A Smith is a moron!" or a nude pic or something like that?

Come on Jay. You're better than that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by attackdog View Post

The first Black coach since Doc Rivers? And there is a possibility that his brain was hacked and not his account.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Even if it is someone on his staff, he has to do a better PR job than "I changed my password."

I love Jay. I just find the lack of accountability to be... everywhere.
    This is even worse. Jay has someone who gets paid to post to social media and they make such a glaring error when it's their job?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    This is even worse. Jay has someone who gets paid to post to social media and they make such a glaring error when it's their job?
    I have been AMAZED at the disconnect between communication teams creating content and subject matter experts. Again, this is just based on corporate life and having been involved in external communication reviews, but the people writing the stuff, even the expensive Madison Avenue and big time PR types, are often pretty clueless on subject matter.

Maybe I’m wrong but it just wouldn’t surprise me if someone flubbed all this. Or maybe it was Jay but I have a hard time thinking he full on forgot about Doc Rivers.

I have been AMAZED at the disconnect between communication teams creating content and subject matter experts. Again, this is just based on corporate life and having been involved in external communication reviews, but the people writing the stuff, even the expensive Madison Avenue and big time PR types, are often pretty clueless on subject matter.

Maybe I’m wrong but it just wouldn’t surprise me if someone flubbed all this. Or maybe it was Jay but I have a hard time thinking he full on forgot about Doc Rivers.
    It's weird. I mean, ten years ago you could get a job as a "social media expert" through some creative resume tweaking. Nowadays, it's a real thing that would involve some references and actual experience. You would think they would be vetted.

Mrs. Crazy's firm has a team that largely focuses on corporate comms advisory (she does something else). A senior person in her firm recently had a public gaffe that got a little bit of publicity in their corner of the world, and it has been interesting to see third hand how they try to work through it, particularly the debate of do we try to get in front of it or just ignore it and assume a lot of people don't even know about it.

I agree that Williams is just making this a lot worse with his follow up story. Best solution would have been to be more careful, or hire people who will be more careful. Second best would have been either to ignore it or follow up and say "Oops, my bad, much respect to trailblazers Russell, Jones, Rivers, etc."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...someone "hacked" JayWill's twitter and that's what they tweeted?
    The big mistake everyone is making is assuming that Jay is blaming this on a "hacker." He never said that. He said the tweet was not written by him. There is a big difference.

I suspect that what happened was someone who had access to Jay's account, like a social media manager/intern, posted the tweet. That is quite different from him being hacked but still accounts for him not writing the tweet.

That said, Jay should have been more clear about what happened. He would have avoided a lot of headaches if he had done that. Imagine if instead, he had written:

"Yikes! A boneheaded tweet was sent from my account earlier today. As you might imagine, I have people who help me with my social media messaging and one of them wrote this mistaken tweet. Still, I take full responsibility for this error and am deeply sorry for it. I am taking steps to exert more control over everything that comes from my accounts. Meanwhile, nothing but love for Bill Russell, Snatch Sanders, KC Jones, ML Carr, and Doc Rivers!"
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The big mistake everyone is making is assuming that Jay is blaming this on a "hacker." He never said that. He said the tweet was not written by him. There is a big difference.

I suspect that what happened was someone who had access to Jay's account, like a social media manager/intern, posted the tweet. That is quite different from him being hacked but still accounts for him not writing the tweet.

That said, Jay should have been more clear about what happened. He would have avoided a lot of headaches if he had done that. Imagine if instead, he had written:

"Yikes! A boneheaded tweet was sent from my account earlier today. As you might imagine, I have people who help me with my social media messaging and one of them wrote this mistaken tweet. Still, I take full responsibility for this error and am deeply sorry for it. I am taking steps to exert more control over everything that comes from my accounts. Meanwhile, nothing but love for Bill Russell, Snatch Sanders, KC Jones, ML Carr, and Doc Rivers!"
    Jason - did your social media intern mis-type "Satch Sanders" as "Snatch Sanders" or was that you or a hacker?

(just kidding...)

Maybe some Maryland fan just guessed his password (gonein60seconds)? Jay's go to be more careful. Fortunately, his new password (9f9f9f9f9f) should be downright undecipherable to our friends down the road.