Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

A Brief But Remembered Friendship

I am moved to share my appreciation of, and minor friendship with, James.

My participation with DBR began in 1999, when I ‘followed’ Trajan Langdon from high school in Anchorage to Duke and Durham. Though I had no affiliation with Duke, I was welcomed onto the bulletin board by the now old-timers, and I was a frequent poster those years. I remember StrayGator being especially welcoming and informative for this outsider. Aside from the basketball content, I was very impressed with the site and its culture. Though I post very little now, I often look in on the forum and the home page and I appreciate the continuing contributions of J.D. King. What stamina.

I don’t remember how my distance friendship with James began, but personal emails between the two of us became frequent. When James announced he was coming to Alaska we met up, in McCarthy of all places. Very much out of the way, and a sign of his broad interests. In addition to bird watching in that area, he was curious to see the long-abandoned Kennecott copper mine. He had come to McCarthy before me and stayed at Ma Johnson’s place while walking the town and the mine site.

Arriving at McCarthy, I parked my camper on the banks of the Copper River near the footpath into/from town, and hung a “DBR/CinANC” banner on the side. He knew I was on my way but not when I would arrive. Though I had not seen James until then, I knew that man with his purposeful stride and camera bag had to be him.

As our conversations in McCarthy continued, we planned more time together in and around Anchorage. He most wanted to find a Northern Goshawk and not yet found one.

We met again in Anchorage a couple of days later. I bought dinner and offered to guide him the next day through a large, almost-wilderness park in the city, where I thought chances might be good. They were. We found his Goshawk and more. He was so happy.

I of course found him to be a brilliant mind, very intentional, and yes, of clear-spoken opinions. And I loved the breadth of our conversations. To me he was the genotype of what I had so enjoyed in my acquaintanceship with DBR, and I was sorry to see him disengage when that happened.

Jason’s article and this thread have been bittersweet. I am saddened at his passing of course, especially so when things were looking up, but I also have enjoyed learning of him once again. I enjoyed our all-too-brief friendship. It is clear many will always remember James.

I visit this site several times a day and have done so since the late 90's. I do not post often....(does that make me a lurker?)
    While I have had no interaction through this board with James directly, I am grateful for him and his contribution to a community which is a touchstone for me.

Thank you James for your role in creating this world...and indeed to all of you who perpetuate it.

BTW, I suspect the several references to the Air Ball chant place James at Duke in 1979 when I graduated...can someone confirm that? If so, I can say I assisted James in vocalizing the original air ball chant.

RIP James.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Well... another old-timer here. I also remember the posting codes that were required before a post would go "live". I recall James saying that waiting for the posting code allows one to re-read/review the post before the post goes "live"... I thought that was a good thing and helped create the DBR community as it is. Thanks James... Rest In Peace.
    God, I’d completely forgotten the posting code delay.

In retrospect, the world might be a better place if all internet transmissions (and lots of in-person transmissions) required reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    I visit this site several times a day and have done so since the late 90's. I do not post often...(does that make me a lurker?)
    While I have had no interaction through this board with James directly, I am grateful for him and his contribution to a community which is a touchstone for me.

Thank you James for your role in creating this world...and indeed to all of you who perpetuate it.

BTW, I suspect the several references to the Air Ball chant place James at Duke in 1979 when I graduated...can someone confirm that? If so, I can say I assisted James in vocalizing the original air ball chant.

RIP James.
    Indeed. I, too, was at the Chick Yonakor Invitational that day. I can't say who started the cheer, but Deano's 0-7 deficit at the half can't be reminisced about enough, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Well... another old-timer here. I also remember the posting codes that were required before a post would go "live". I recall James saying that waiting for the posting code allows one to re-read/review the post before the post goes "live"... I thought that was a good thing and helped create the DBR community as it is. Thanks James... Rest In Peace.
    If I recall correctly, after a period of time posting, one could become a trusted poster and posts were live.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Indeed. I, too, was at the Chick Yonakor Invitational that day. I can't say who started the cheer, but Deano's 0-7 deficit at the half can't be reminisced about enough, IMO.
    James was there in 79. He was '82 - I was '81. I was standing next to him in that day (2/24/79) so I can confirm he did indeed scream 'air ball' in the now familiar cadence and at Yonakor and it was picked up by the surrounding folks very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    James was there in 79. He was '82 - I was '81. I was standing next to him in that day (2/24/79) so I can confirm he did indeed scream 'air ball' in the now familiar cadence and at Yonakor and it was picked up by the surrounding folks very quickly.
    Zpork worthy first hand confirmation, but alas ... gotta spread 'em around first!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Zpork worthy first hand confirmation, but alas ... gotta spread 'em around first!
    Gotcha covered.

I'm class of 81 and I remember the chant, but can't confirm where it came from. Bonus: it was my 20th birthday.

James was there in 79. He was '82 - I was '81. I was standing next to him (James Armstrong) in that day (2/24/79) so I can confirm he did indeed scream 'air ball' in the now familiar cadence and at Yonakor and it was picked up by the surrounding folks very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I'm class of 81 and I remember the chant, but can't confirm where it came from. Bonus: it was my 20th birthday.
    Now you know. My good friend Windsor was an eye witness and participant.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post

It was my 20th as well...which is how I remember the date!

I think I have now been mostly away from the DBR for as long as I was an active participant, so I'm glad to see my log in still works. I thought I would check in and see what was being said about James, and it's fun to see so many familiar names. I only met him maybe 4 or 5 times in person myself, and the last time was this April when he was in Durham getting evaluated at Duke. He was so full of plans for the future ("once I get the transplant") and it's still hard for me to wrap my head around the idea he is gone.

I also had totally forgotten about the posting approval codes from the early days of the boards. And I too was at that February 1979 game - I was a grad student at the time and had actually just written a short decision analysis paper on how Dean Smith might go about deciding whether or not to hold the ball/play four corners in that game. I didn't know any of you (or James) back then and I am glad the DBR and the email communities James created led me to make so many new Duke friends.

It was my 20th as well...which is how I remember the date!
    Well, I guess there are 2 in every crowd

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I think I have now been mostly away from the DBR for as long as I was an active participant, so I'm glad to see my log in still works. I thought I would check in and see what was being said about James, and it's fun to see so many familiar names. I only met him maybe 4 or 5 times in person myself, and the last time was this April when he was in Durham getting evaluated at Duke. He was so full of plans for the future ("once I get the transplant") and it's still hard for me to wrap my head around the idea he is gone.

I also had totally forgotten about the posting approval codes from the early days of the boards. And I too was at that February 1979 game - I was a grad student at the time and had actually just written a short decision analysis paper on how Dean Smith might go about deciding whether or not to hold the ball/play four corners in that game. I didn't know any of you (or James) back then and I am glad the DBR and the email communities James created led me to make so many new Duke friends.
    Nice to see your post. A link to other times. Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post

Would you be able to share the paper(if you still have a copy)? Sounds fascinating.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.