Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RIP James Armstrong

Per Rob MacKenna, DBR's original software savant and partner James Armstrong passed away this past weekend.
    My dear friend James Armstrong passed away in his sleep over the weekend. James and I had been friends for roughly 30 years, since we both participated in the r.s.b.c. Usenet group while I was still in college. A true gentleman, James had been battling kidney disease, but had just been listed as a transplant candidate at several different hospitals and was hopeful of getting a new kidney before the end of the year. James loved travel, fine food, bird watching, UNIX, and of course Duke basketball. Rest in peace, Alpha Geek.
    I met with James many times at DBR functions and at games. He was a good man, and will forever be remembered as the man who first uttered the words "Air Ball" at a basketball game in Cameron (or anywhere) - the 7-0 halftime game vs. carolina.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Per Rob MacKenna, DBR's original software savant and partner James Armstrong passed away this past weekend.

I met with James many times at DBR functions and at games. He was a good man, and will forever be remembered as the man who first uttered the words "Air Ball" at a basketball game in Cameron (or anywhere) - the 7-0 halftime game vs. carolina.
    So sorry to hear this. He is one of the reasons that this board survived those very early days. RIP.

Sad news. Thanks for sharing.

Remembered, admired and mourned.

Very Respectfully,
    BlueTeuf

RIP James. It's a stark reminder of the severe shortage of organs for transplantation- please be an organ donor, sign the paperwork and let hour family know your wishes. Organ donors save lives!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I'm sorry to hear, and I very much appreciate his substantial contributions in starting and nurturing this board.

I am so sorry to hear this. James was one of the pillars of this board in the early days. He will be missed.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Very sad. I never met him but have known him since the Parquet floor days and submit for approval posting. He gave us much and asked for little. May he Rest in Peace.

Condolences to the Armstrong family. His contributions to this community—and by extension the Duke community at large—are immeasurable.

I (along with several others on this board) shared a number of post victory ACC Tournament meals with James including a brawl he had with a six pound crustacean that won't soon be forgotten.

Very sad. James and I traveled to several road games together in our Duke student days. No idea how he could always come up with tickets.

He was a good guy. Condolences to the family.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I am very sad to hear this. I think of James fondly and appreciate his large role in making DBR what it is.

Condolences to the Armstrong family.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Very sad. I never met him but have known him since the Parquet floor days and submit for approval posting. He gave us much and asked for little. May he Rest in Peace.
    Wow, yes, this sums up what I was going to say. May the parquet floor return, and be named in his honor.

The Sagarmatha BB was one of a kind

Condolences to his family. Thank you, James, for your contributions to building something that brings many of us joy.

Sorry to hear this news. We had some spirited conversations here back in the day. He was a true Duke guy at heart. RIP, James.

Oh man, that's rough news. Condolences to James' people.

Sorry to hear. I never met James but certainly remember his early, vital, enthusiastic impact on this board.

I work every day with people who have kidney failure and are looking for transplants. As mentioned above, this sad news is a reminder to sign off on organ donation.

I have been a participant on this board for a long time now, but definitely of a later generation than many of you originals. I had never heard of James Armstrong until I saw Jason's extremely well crafted front page tribute. While it is traditional in some parts to "pour some out" in tribute, it sounds like James loved his scotch too much to waste it, so maybe a wee dram in thanks for making this place as great as it is.