Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Living in NJ and driving a lot to Long Island to see my Dad, the biggest GPS fail I have is that it constantly tries to take me the shortest, most direct route, which is straight through Manhattan. It NEVER accurately calculates the inevitable amount of traffic of two tunnels and the streets of NYC. Even if going around Manhattan via GW or Verrazzano Bridge shows a ton of traffic and many more miles, it's ALWAYS faster, but the GPS never knows it.

I have to explain to people not familiar that they have to ignore the GPS, which will try to take them into Manhattan, but when you're driving in the craziness of the Long Island Expressway or the Belt Parkway and trying to make your own decisions over the GPS's incessant alerts it becomes a harrowing experience.
Ha, into Manhattan, that should be easy! I've had SO many friends get lost up here with crazy GPS route.

Hey, I thinking I'm gaining some clarity on the issue, I think it's time to rip the proverbial band aid off this problem...I'm going to put an ad in Trucker Monthly, touting the Budwom Big Rig Narrow Road Challenge...a modest entry fee (make those checks out to "budwom"), a major cash prize will be awarded to the first chap to navigate the Notch. What could go wrong? Should be worth a TV deal...if they can prattle on for years about a bunch of Canuck Ice Roads, they'll surely have time for something closer to home.

Admittedly the first entrant might gum up the works for a bit, but I would think the tow truck community would be firmly behind me.