Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I think the best way to limit your NBA team is to pay non-star players like they are stars. It's possible Lonzo could develop into a star, but I wouldn't bet on it. His 3-point shooting has improved quite a bit but remains streaky. I've heard his defensive potential praised, but I saw him very disinterested and frequently out of position on that end last year. He makes some spectacular passes, but his assists aren't as high as one might think. You are correct that he is not good at getting to the line and not as good at driving as one might think. In the abstract I'd take him on the team, but I think the time and money commitment will be too high.
    I agree with all of this. Let him go somewhere else if he’s offered big bucks.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The interesting question for the Pels will be if Ball is offered “moderate” bucks, not big bucks. Would you rather have three years of a still young Ball for 15-20 mil, or three years of a 35 year old Kyle Lowry for closer to 30 mil (since the Pels likely would have to overpay to get him to go to a non-ready made contender)? The rumor mill seems to be pointing towards the latter, but I’m not so sure that’s how I’d go, and that’s coming from someone who loves how Lowry plays. In the modern NBA I think anytime you can secure young talent for non-max money you have to do it. With their new cap space, what if the Pels can get Ball and make a run at someone like Duncan Robinson? I’d take the two of those guys for the price of one Kyle Lowry, especially as a core you can sell Zion on being around for years to come.

It’ll be very interesting to see how this develops… could be one of the first major dominoes to fall in the off season.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    And that’s coming from someone who loves how Lowry plays.
    You love how Lowry plays??! Yes, he is a valuable player and an absolutely vicious competitor. I would not want to be fighting that guy for the last steak on the grill. No, thank you.

However, Kyle Lowry is a cheap-shot artist supreme and quite possibly the NBA’s most notorious at trying to get the refs to call a foul when none was committed. In every game he plays you will see at least 8-10 instances where he throws himself backwards when he was barely touched. He’s absolutely shameless about it, maybe even moreso than James Harden.

And on top of that he whines and cries to the refs at every single opportunity. My goodness, the man is annoying. But he is one helluva basketball player who seemingly would be willing to die on the court if it would help secure a big playoff win.

And Lowry is 35 years old...not sure I see the logic in adding him now...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Getting rid of Bledsoe is a big plus for the Pelicans. Not a very reliable shooter. Took and missed ridiculous shots when much better options were available. Had trouble finishing at the rim. Did not defend particularly well. Head often not in the game including one loss when he had no idea at the end of the game of what play the coach had called in a time out. I often found myself screaming at the tv "get Bledsoe out of the game!"

Steven Adams was decent, not great but at least he hustled. However, he was often injured, and neither Bledsoe nor Adams were worth anything close to their contracts.

Hopefully, the Pelicans have freed up enough salary cap to sign Lonzo and perhaps another shooter to help open up the floor for Zion and Ingram.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I think the best way to limit your NBA team is to pay non-star players like they are stars. It's possible Lonzo could develop into a star, but I wouldn't bet on it. His 3-point shooting has improved quite a bit but remains streaky. I've heard his defensive potential praised, but I saw him very disinterested and frequently out of position on that end last year. He makes some spectacular passes, but his assists aren't as high as one might think. You are correct that he is not good at getting to the line and not as good at driving as one might think. In the abstract I'd take him on the team, but I think the time and money commitment will be too high.
    I'm a little more positive on Ball than most. He was frequently injured the last few seasons, and assuming that doesn't keep happening he can be a worthy #3. He can penetrate -- he showed that before LeBron joined the Lakers and in spurts with the Pelicans. His jump shot has improved by a lot, though it can be streaky. Nobody questions his passing ability. He is amazing leading the break.

The Pels as a whole don't look great on defense, but Ball is 77th percentile on defensive EPM so he's no slouch. Bledsoe by comparison was 10th percentile.

SVG was not a good fit with the Pels, especially on offense and as a result Ball was underutilized. This team should run more and Ball would be the perfect PG to push the pace and feed Zion alley hoops.

OK, I don't know whether I would match big bucks for Lonzo, but for medium bucks I'd prefer him over a 35 year old Lowry easily. Ball is still so young and has much room to grow.

Ball only shot 64 free throws the entire year. Maybe it is because he is only a 56 % percent FT for his career . Ingram shot 320 and Bledsoe 194. Ball has to start attacking the paint and either dish the ball or hit short jumpers like Chris Paul.

8. Agree he should attack more and draw more fouls, but he did shoot 78% on FTs last season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lonzo to the Bulls for 4 years/bunchamoney

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ars-85-million
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a "sign and trade agreement"? In other words, what are the Pels getting in return? Article doesn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Going all in on Lowry, huh?

Not sure I like this...letting Ball go for nothing will haunt NOLA
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a "sign and trade agreement"? In other words, what are the Pels getting in return? Article doesn't say.
    Not sure they get anything. I think if they want to keep him, they have to match. (I don't think they want to keep him.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Going all in on Lowry, huh?
    Doubt it.

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Kyle Lowry is signing with the Miami Heat.

5:38 PM · Aug 2, 2021

Will "ShamsWow!" become the new "Woj Bomb"?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Doubt it.

Kyle Lowry is signing with the Miami Heat.

5:38 PM · Aug 2, 2021

Will "ShamsWow!" become the new "Woj Bomb"?
    Dammmmmmmn.

Maybe Lowry enjoyed playing in FL these past 1.5 seasons...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

There's tons of stories regarding FA signing all over the internet right now. I'll have to look in the morning once the dust settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There's tons of stories regarding FA signing all over the internet right now. I'll have to look in the morning once the dust settles.
    Agreed. Not sure if or what New Orleans would get in return, other than freeing up space to sign someone else.

Found it, and not from ESPN/Woj.

The Chicago Bulls are sending Tomas Satoransky, Garrett Temple and a second-round pick to New Orleans for Lonzo Ball, who's signing a four-year, $85M contract, sources tell

@TheAthletic @Stadium

5:07 PM · Aug 2, 2021

A sign and trade is a deal where the player’s old team signs him with the agreement to trade him to another, prespecified, team. It is a way for a team that is over the cap to acquire free agents.

The Bulls are over the cap, so they could not sign Ball. But they could offer enough value (and salary) in return to get NOLA to agree to sign and trade him.

The Pelicans just inexplicably signed arguably the worst shooter in the NBA to 4 years $47 million. And they had to give up next year's first round pick (lottery protected) to get him.

I guess they aren't trying to keep Zion.

You must really suck at your job if Michael Jordan the GM is dunking on you.
    Last edited by kAzE; 08-02-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    The Pelicans just inexplicably signed arguably the worst shooter in the NBA to 4 years $47 million. So I guess they aren't trying to keep Zion.
    I didn't read anything about Markelle Fultz...

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The New Orleans Pelicans are landing Charlotte restricted free agent guard Devonte Graham on a four-year, $47M contract in a sign-and-trade deal, agents Ty Sullivan and Austin Brown of @CAA_Basketball tell ESPN.

8:30 PM · Aug 2, 2021

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

New Orleans will send Charlotte its 2022 lottery-protected first-round pick, source tells ESPN.

8:32 PM · Aug 2, 2021