Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 162
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Zion's a 21 year old top draft pick playing on a mediocre team. This is not exactly uncharted territory...he'll still be very young when he becomes a free agent, so I just don't see why he can't bide his time and make good decisions which he CAN control (like hiring appropriate agents). Patience, grasshopper.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    I generally agree with the points made here , but one quibble is that there is in fact a ifestyle difference between someone who has made $150m vs $300m in an NBA career (endorsement deals aside). Divide that in half to account for taxes and you’re looking at $75m vs $150m. Now $75m is certainly nothing to sneeze at but then take into account that you need to live off the income from that for many decades (hopefully you live that long) after your NBA career. Maybe you can consistently make 3% income on this per year, or roughly $2m (again, before taxes).
    This is just a quibble but there are many avenues of "putting your money to work" for the super-rich that net far, far more than a 3% return. Mezzanine loan funds and real estate ventures typically have an IRR of about 12-14% with much of that being annual cash flow. It is not difficult to put together a stock portfolio that will have some growth while also paying dividends in the 5-7% range. There are businesses that all but run themselves that will pay you considerably better than a 3% return.

    Again, just a quibble and I am not saying that $300 mil in earnings is not significantly more than $150mil, but if you made $150 mil and only turned it into annual cash flow of $2 mil then you need to find a new financial adviser.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is just a quibble but there are many avenues of "putting your money to work" for the super-rich that net far, far more than a 3% return. Mezzanine loan funds and real estate ventures typically have an IRR of about 12-14% with much of that being annual cash flow. It is not difficult to put together a stock portfolio that will have some growth while also paying dividends in the 5-7% range. There are businesses that all but run themselves that will pay you considerably better than a 3% return.

    Again, just a quibble and I am not saying that $300 mil in earnings is not significantly more than $150mil, but if you made $150 mil and only turned it into annual cash flow of $2 mil then you need to find a new financial adviser.
    I wish it were that way! I think if you told your financial advisor that, like a typical retiree:

    1) you have a pot of money that is likely to be your only really sizeable amount of earnings you expect in your lifetime,
    2) you rely on that money for your annual income to support your lifestyle year in and year out, and
    3) you want to make sure you didn't take significant risk of loss in that portfolio such that your annual earnings would be stable and reliable

    They give you a best case 4% expected annual return in this environment.

    You can for sure target a much higher return than that, but I don't think most financial advisors would tell you you can do it with a "retiree" risk profile.

    Bear in mind long term muni yields are less than 1.5% these days.

    Anyhow - I think my broader point was sometime we say on this board that various levels of wealth are "more than you could ever spend" etc but once guys start seeing their teammates making and spending huge amounts of money, they can pretty quickly recalibrate their spending aspirations!

    Anyhow pretty off topic to the Zion discussion, so apologies for that!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    I think the normal standards for how to handle a retirement nest egg don't apply if that nest egg is a hundred million dollars. You can weather the ups and downs of investments that are slightly volatile but still pretty safe if you're not counting on cash flow to keep you housed and fed. Even a typical stock index fund will give you better than 3% over time, and you have the option of a much more diverse portfolio when the pile of money is that large. Overall, I'd be pretty upset if my $100 million fortune only got me 3% over time, even if I was being pretty conservative.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Zion's a 21 year old top draft pick playing on a mediocre team. This is not exactly uncharted territory...he'll still be very young when he becomes a free agent, so I just don't see why he can't bide his time and make good decisions which he CAN control (like hiring appropriate agents). Patience, grasshopper.
    Based on his history, that part is especially important advice for Zion.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    There is talk that New Orleans is willing to give up the #10 pick to Atlanta to get Cam Reddish in the hope that will make Zion more happy. I'm not sure if the Hawks would make that deal though. Cam is a nice piece to have under team control on a rookie deal.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is talk that New Orleans is willing to give up the #10 pick to Atlanta to get Cam Reddish in the hope that will make Zion more happy. I'm not sure if the Hawks would make that deal though. Cam is a nice piece to have under team control on a rookie deal.
    Hawks would have done this deal ten times out of ten if Reddish didn’t play in these playoffs and show he’s a nice rotation piece (and maybe even a third banana)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    The chatter around swapping picks with Memphis and sending Bledsoe out also involve some thinking that Memphis would send Grayson to the Pelicans as well.
    "Shout out to this clock right here that's telling us what time it is." - Dre

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    The chatter around swapping picks with Memphis and sending Bledsoe out also involve some thinking that Memphis would send Grayson to the Pelicans as well.
    This is a great draft in which to trade back, for anyone out of the top 5 or so. It’s be a huge win for the Pels to do so and dump Bledsoe, no matter the other pieces they might gain.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Zion getting some help according to the latest Woj bomb: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1419756065625972747

    BREAKING: Memphis is finalizing a trade to send Jonas Valanciunas and 2021 Nos. 17 and 51 picks to New Orleans for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, 2021 picks Nos. 10 and 40 and a protected 2022 first-round pick via the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.
    Valančiūnas is a nice upgrade on Adams, for sure. I guess this is further proof that New Orleans wants no part of playing Zion as a small ball 5. Nice of Memphis to also take Bledsoe's $37 mil and Adams' $34 mil over the next 2 years off of New Orleans cap table.

    -Jason "Valančiūnas is on an expiring deal too... just $14 mil this season and then a free agent. So, if he does not work out..." Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #71
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    I saw this and initially loved it. Initial reports were the Pels we’re going to basically pay their first round pick to get rid of Bledsoe’s contract for essentially nothing in return. To do that and get a real upgrade and C is a win. Jonas is very underrated IMHO and was a nice part of the Grizzlies success sneaking into the playoffs. A solid first step to reshaping the roster I think.

  12. #72
    Peels will never get over the hurdle until they can dump Ball.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Zion getting some help according to the latest Woj bomb: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1419756065625972747
    The uniform level of sarcasm in the tweet's comments is surprising to me. (At least I think it's sarcasm.)

    It may be a litmus test of college vs. pro loyalty, but this local resident (and mock Pelicans GM) considered the Duke effect first. What happens to Tyus Jones on a roster with Ja Morant, De'Anthony Melton (on a rookie contract), and now Eric Bledsoe? And why weren't any of the Duke Grizzlies traded to New Orleans?

    As for the Pelicans, I approve of the cost cutting, but those draft picks were a cheap way to get some players that can shoot. Maybe they'll package #35, #43, and #53 to move into the 20s, where there seem to be a lot of capable guards and wings.

  14. #74
    The Pelican fan forum has threads about 2 interesting roster possibilities. Ingram and picks to Portland for Damon and signing Kennard as a Duncan Robinson type 6th man. Jonas is a good mid range shooter at the center position. He should open the lane up better than Adams for Zion. Having 2 good 3 pt shooters on the floor w Jonas and Zion would be a tough match up for defenses.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    The Pelican fan forum has threads about 2 interesting roster possibilities. Ingram and picks to Portland for Damon and signing Kennard as a Duncan Robinson type 6th man. Jonas is a good mid range shooter at the center position. He should open the lane up better than Adams for Zion. Having 2 good 3 pt shooters on the floor w Jonas and Zion would be a tough match up for defenses.
    Kennard would have to be traded for.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    If Eric Bledsoe (age 31) and Steven Adams (28) are gone, the oldest Pelicans under contract next season are Wesley Iwundu (26) and Wenyen Gabriel (24), and both are on minimum salary deals.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If Eric Bledsoe (age 31) and Steven Adams (28) are gone, the oldest Pelicans under contract next season are Wesley Iwundu (26) and Wenyen Gabriel (24), and both are on minimum salary deals.
    Valanciunas would be coming in for those two and is 29.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Peels will never get over the hurdle until they can dump Ball.
    How do you figure? Make the case, please. Or is it just a feeling you have? Thanks.

  19. #79
    Ball is not a threat to drive the ball to the basket and he does not get to the FT line. If his 3 pt shot is not on [and in big games it is not] teams leave him open and double Zion or BI. I compare him a little to Ben Simmons. Both have too many weaknesses to be a superstar. Yes. This is my opinion.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Ball is not a threat to drive the ball to the basket and he does not get to the FT line. If his 3 pt shot is not on [and in big games it is not] teams leave him open and double Zion or BI. I compare him a little to Ben Simmons. Both have too many weaknesses to be a superstar. Yes. This is my opinion.
    I think the best way to limit your NBA team is to pay non-star players like they are stars. It's possible Lonzo could develop into a star, but I wouldn't bet on it. His 3-point shooting has improved quite a bit but remains streaky. I've heard his defensive potential praised, but I saw him very disinterested and frequently out of position on that end last year. He makes some spectacular passes, but his assists aren't as high as one might think. You are correct that he is not good at getting to the line and not as good at driving as one might think. In the abstract I'd take him on the team, but I think the time and money commitment will be too high.

Similar Threads

  1. Zion
    By tecumseh in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2020, 09:52 AM
  2. last week in NOLA
    By hsheffield in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM
  3. NOLA Food Recommendations
    By mattman91 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 03:12 PM
  4. Byron Scott unhappy with Kyrie Irving's Defense
    By attackdog in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •