Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    FWIW, advanced metrics do not support the statement bolded above. .

because it's not true and Lonzo was never good. He's a point guard who can't play point guard in a half court offense. He has/had absolutely no ability to penetrate, drive, or finish. His defense is fine, but overpraised. He was basically a semi consistent shooting guard and the Pelicans ran point through Zion. The Pelicans made a smart move not throwing the bank at him and sandbagging themselves with a bad contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    because it's not true and Lonzo was never good. He's a point guard who can't play point guard in a half court offense. He has/had absolutely no ability to penetrate, drive, or finish. His defense is fine, but overpraised. He was basically a semi consistent shooting guard and the Pelicans ran point through Zion. The Pelicans made a smart move not throwing the bank at him and sandbagging themselves with a bad contract.
    That's not what Lavar told me...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Just to be clear, you’re not a huge fan of Lonzo Ball? 😉

And by the way, Ball only averages one FT attempt per game for his career. One.

Can you believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    That's not what Lavar told me...
    How’s Big Baller Brand doing these days? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree that trading away Holiday was a gigantic mistake. I don’t feel the same about Ball and JJ.

But yeah, the Holiday move was an epic disaster. It vexes me greatly, at least for Williamson’s sake.
    If we are judging moves through the lens of keeping Zion happy and in NO, JJ was a mistake given that he was an elite 3 pt shooter, a veteran that Zion respected, and his trade was handled with poor optics.

Jru was a diaster all around like you said.

I wasn't high on Lonzo, they got a bag flaming dog poo for him. You want to break even at least on every trade, and I don't think a single one the Pelicans have done in 2 years outside of Valanciunas has done so.

Just to be clear, you’re not a huge fan of Lonzo Ball? 😉

I don't have any personal dislike for Lonzo. Despite being an LA brat stuck in a small market with an obnoxious father, he seemed to be a hard worker and good teammate. But the Pelicans need an actual point guard who can help with spacing, not an overpaid de facto shooting guard. ANd I'm kind of annoyed he's suddenly being treated like an all star despite being just .. ok.

"And by the way, Ball only averages one FT attempt per game for his career. One.

Can you believe that?"

That is .... just astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I would sign George Hill, who is available. He's a 40% 3-point shooter, good defender and veteran presence.

I would also sign Jeremy Lin for cheap as a backup PG -- he can drive and pass, and he can shoot.
    Jeremy Lin? You mean the 32 year old journeyman who has played for nine NBA teams and for the last few years has been with the Beijing Ducks? Heck, what about trying Tim Tebow?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jeremy Lin? You mean the 32 year old journeyman who has played for nine NBA teams and for the last few years has been with the Beijing Ducks? Heck, what about trying Tim Tebow?
    I did see Kemba Walker joined up with the Knicks...not exactly sure what the Knicks are doing.

NBA: Pelicans announce coaching staff

The New Orleans Pelicans announced today the hiring of Jarron Collins as an assistant coach and Mike D’Antoni as a coaching advisor. They join assistant coaches Casey Hill, Fred Vinson and Teresa Weatherspoon, along with player development coaches Corey Brewer, Darnell Lazare and Beno Udrih on Head Coach Willie Green’s staff.
    Not sure what a "coaching advisor" is or what Mike D'Antoni is empowered to do for the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I did see Kemba Walker joined up with the Knicks...not exactly sure what the Knicks are doing.
    The Knicks are desperate for a starting PG who can create shots for himself and others. That's what led them to playing 32 year-old Pistons refugee D-Rose 35 mpg in the Atlanta playoff series. Kemba can fill that role pretty well....when healthy.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    That's the one. He was the only player who didn't get an NBA contract as a top 10 scorer in the G league last season.

12. Lin's per game stats in the G League this past season:

19.8 points
    50.5% shooting
    42.6% from 3-point
    6.4 assists
    3.2 rebounds

He can definitely contribute as a back-up PG and would immediately be the Pelican's best three point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    The Knicks are desperate for a starting PG who can create shots for himself and others. That's what led them to playing 32 year-old Pistons refugee D-Rose 35 mpg in the Atlanta playoff series. Kemba can fill that role pretty well...when healthy.
    Having watched him with the Celts, I just don't think he has it in him, but anything is possible. He just isn't what he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Lin's per game stats in the G League this past season:

19.8 points
    50.5% shooting
    42.6% from 3-point
    6.4 assists
    3.2 rebounds

He can definitely contribute as a back-up PG and would immediately be the Pelican's best three point shooter.
    I dont know. He's a career 43% shooter who has never exceeded 44.6% in a year, and is a career 34% shooter from 3. And he's been out of the league for several years. If that's the team's best option, at age 32 .. . This ain't the G league.

I dont know. He's a career 43% shooter who has never exceeded 44.6% in a year, and is a career 34% shooter from 3. And he's been out of the league for several years. If that's the team's best option, at age 32 .. . This ain't the G league.
    Yeah, it makes you wonder how much useful information can be gleaned by looking at G League stats. Do we have any data on how three-point percentages transfer from the G League to the NBA?

Not that that would be a definitive answer to anything, but I would be a bit interested in seeing the data.

Some players improve their perimeter shooting later in their careers. There's plenty of examples of this. Jason Kidd and Trevor Ariza both come to mind. I'd give Lin a 2-way deal, what's there to lose? 20 points and 6 assists per game with that level of efficiency even in the G-League is pretty good.
    Last edited by kAzE; 08-05-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Yeah, it makes you wonder how much useful information can be gleaned by looking at G League stats. Do we have any data on how three-point percentages transfer from the G League to the NBA?
    Amile Jefferson, who could barely get a cup of coffee in the NBA (30 total games played over 2 seasons, a never even a back-end rotation player), had ridiculous G-League stats. We are talking about a guy who averaged 25.9ppg, 12.6rpg, on 65.8% field goal shooting.

Lin's "impressive" season did not have him among the top ten scorers in the G League. He was just 5th in assists (Tre Jones led the G League in assists per game at 9.7, the next best was someone at 7.3apg).

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Some players improve their perimeter shooting later in their careers. There's plenty of examples of this. Jason Kidd and Trevor Ariza both come to mind. I'd give Lin a 2-way deal, what's there to lose? 20 points and 6 assists per game with that level of efficiency even in the G-League is pretty good.
    Really small sample size for Lin. He only played in 9 games. No way I would waste a 2-way deal which could be used to lock up the rights to a youngster who might develop on a guy in his 30s who has not been in the league in 3 years like Jeremy Lin. I might invite Lin to camp, if I needed a PG, to see if he found something new in his game at this age, but that's about it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Amile Jefferson, who could barely get a cup of coffee in the NBA (30 total games played over 2 seasons, a never even a back-end rotation player), had ridiculous G-League stats. We are talking about a guy who averaged 25.9ppg, 12.6rpg, on 65.8% field goal shooting.

Lin's "impressive" season did not have him among the top ten scorers in the G League. He was just 5th in assists (Tre Jones led the G League in assists per game at 9.7, the next best was someone at 7.3apg).
    Think this Board is higher on Jeremy Lin’s NBA prospects than his own family?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Think this Board is higher on Jeremy Lin’s NBA prospects than his own family?
    Good point, but I’m never betting against mom and dad. Maybe the board is higher on Lin’s NBA prospects that Jeremy himself, though.
    Carolina delenda est

20. Most of the articles about Lin over the course of the season presented him as in the top 10, but I just looked it up and he ended up at #14. Still decent. Nevertheless, he won't be needed for scoring. Pelicans need an efficeint outside shooter and someone who can drive and set up teammates; that's Lin's game. He's also a veteran presence and a positive force in the locker room, both of which I'd assume the Pels could really use.

Unlike Amile, who I am a huge fan of, we've seen what Lin can do when healthy in the NBA. He was great for the Nets before injuries ended his season.

His final G Leagues stats:

16 points
    52% field goal
    45.5% 3-point (!!)
    6.0 assists
    3.0 rebounds
    0.5 steals
    17 +/-

Over 28.3 minutes a game.

I dunno, I think the dude can still play. Not even worth a 10 day contract?
    Last edited by ice-9; 08-06-2021 at 12:25 AM.