Clemson to add women’s lax and gymnastics

And with that 4 ACC schools will now offer gymnastics and it will become an official ACC sport. Wonder if Duke also adds it. Not a gymnastics fan in the slightest, but I know Duke likes to position itself with ACC sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    And with that 4 ACC schools will now offer gymnastics and it will become an official ACC sport. Wonder if Duke also adds it. Not a gymnastics fan in the slightest, but I know Duke likes to position itself with ACC sports.
    the lack of a practice facility would be a major issue, and last i heard, the board was not allowing the university to raise more debt for construction at present. A major donor would have to step up to make this happen.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the lack of a practice facility would be a major issue, and last i heard, the board was not allowing the university to raise more debt for construction at present. A major donor would have to step up to make this happen.
    Gymnastics doesn't take a lot of space, but it is a 12-month sport -- and gymnasts are always working out using all the apparatus. Heck, I had a regulation balance beam in my bedroom at one point.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Gymnastics doesn't take a lot of space, but it is a 12-month sport -- and gymnasts are always working out using all the apparatus. Heck, I had a regulation balance beam in my bedroom at one point.
    Right. it's not like they can just set up in card/cameron/K and park there forever. They need a space of their own, and afaik, one doesn't currently exist.
    April 1

I think the issue here is Title IX. These schools aren't adopting gymnastics so much because they love gymnastics as because they need to in order to comply with Title IX. I hope Duke is already Title IX compliant. If not, maybe they would add gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I think the issue here is Title IX. These schools aren't adopting gymnastics so much because they love gymnastics as because they need to in order to comply with Title IX. I hope Duke is already Title IX compliant. If not, maybe they would add gymnastics.
    Softball made us Title IX compliant I believe (well technically we were before but there were thoughts that a lawyer could try and argue we weren’t…but for another day). Adding another women’s sport could allow us to offer more scholarships for some of the men’s sports that aren’t fully funded, but other than that, there isn’t upside.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    We had a gymnastics team. It was “retrenched” in the early ‘80s. It’s a fairly costly sport, and I doubt we’ll go back to having one.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-to...8/?version=amp

Looks like Pitt, Clemson, NC State, and UNC are offering ACC gymnastics. Could turn the IM building into a gym. If not, I don’t see where we’d have the space to build one unless it’s a project for Central Campus. Probably unlikely unless a mega donor really likes floor routines.

Anyone know which men’s sports aren’t fully funded with scholarships at Duke? If any? Think Wrestling & Track, maybe fencing and tennis as well?

Anyone know which men’s sports aren’t fully funded with scholarships at Duke? If any? Think Wrestling & Track, maybe fencing and tennis as well?
    Don't know about the others, but for men's tennis, the NCAA only allows a pathetic 4.5 scholarships (equivalency sport, so they're usually divided among the players in some capacity) and Duke is definitely giving out those in entirety (women get 8).

I think you're right about wrestling/T&f though. As of 2016, swimming and diving gave no men's scholarships but maybe they've changed it.