ACC announces sites for 2021-22 championships.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Noting this part due to the recent track discussion in another thread.

Pitt will play host to the ACC Softball Championship from May 11-14, while Duke welcomes ACC Outdoor Track and Field from May 12-14
    I noticed that baseball is still undecided. Charlotte seemed to work out well this year.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 06-16-2021 at 05:00 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Pitt will play host to the ACC Softball Championship from May 11-14, while Duke welcomes ACC Outdoor Track and Field from May 12-14.

I noticed that baseball is still undecided. Charlotte seemed to work out well this year.
    The International League controls the schedules of the Charlotte Knights and the Durham Bulls. For years the IL allowed the Bulls to set aside a block of time for the ACC Tournament. They rescinded that courtesy a few years ago. Not sure what happens if the IL schedules both Durham and Charlotte to be at home that week.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Random track comment. I noticed Clemson re-instated men's track and field recently. They had announced they were removing it, but have since backtracked.

Saw this article about Russell Dinkins who has been very vocal in getting involved when colleges seek to remove the track team, including with Clemson. I think it was Jim Sumner who predicted it at the time to an extent -- he called out that Clemson was receiving backlash for the decision to remove track, particularly given it's mostly Black athletes at the collegiate level.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a3...rack-programs/

I always like to see more opportunity than less. I think Dinkins makes a good point that getting in Title IX compliance by cutting men's sports is easy for institutions, but it should really be about increasing access to sports for women.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The International League controls the schedules of the Charlotte Knights and the Durham Bulls. For years the IL allowed the Bulls to set aside a block of time for the ACC Tournament. They rescinded that courtesy a few years ago. Not sure what happens if the IL schedules both Durham and Charlotte to be at home that week.
    There's also Gwinnett and Louisville in AAA and Greensboro in AA in a pinch. We could hold it in Syracuse (AAA) to encourage the Orange to get a program. How about 5-County Stadium?

Men's lacrosse is still TBD. We rotated it around the southern schools before COVID at the expense of Syracuse and ND. It should go up there before Duke, the next in line for southern schools, holds it again.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    There's also Gwinnett and Louisville in AAA and Greensboro in AA in a pinch. We could hold it in Syracuse (AAA) to encourage the Orange to get a program. How about 5-County Stadium?

Men's lacrosse is still TBD. We rotated it around the southern schools before COVID at the expense of Syracuse and ND. It should go up there before Duke, the next in line for southern schools, holds it again.
    The problem with baseball is that almost any non-campus site suitable for the tournament is a minor-league stadium and subject to the whims of their league's scheduling policies.

Will the track get additional bleachers to host the championships? Right now the bleachers are pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Will the track get additional bleachers to host the championships? Right now the bleachers are pretty small.
    I would have to imagine so. The last ACC in WW was not particularly well attended, but certainly more than the current track has. I suspect they planned the facility with ACCs in mind and as such, where they might put temporary seating.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would have to imagine so. The last ACC in WW was not particularly well attended, but certainly more than the current track has. I suspect they planned the facility with ACCs in mind and as such, where they might put temporary seating.
    Remember hearing that was the plan 5-6 years ago. Let’s see if it happens.