Thread: Rip Currents

Rip Currents

A slight expansion (again) of this forum's charter to (interesting) terrestrial phenomena.

Rip Currents is something that those of us who either grew up near the ocean, or who listen to the news (or weather channel), understand but have never actually seen.
    Here is a video that shows a few. Very interesting:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1405080203051909124

Larry
    DevilHorse

Hey, y'all - be careful on your beach trips!

-jk

Unfortunately, flags will be flying, and people will ignore them, get themselves in trouble, and put more people in trouble trying to save them.

On the Outer Banks they are flat out deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Hey, y'all - be careful on your beach trips!

-jk
    Hey, I'm not going in that water. That's "Claude JAWS" house and he doesn't like visitors.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've been caught in one before. In just a matter of seconds, I was about 100 yards away from the shore, truly terrifying. I'm a good swimmer, but I was flat out exhausted by the time I made it back to beach. (And yes, I swam parallel to shore, not against the current.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With the morbid threads that pop up here from time to time did any one else briefly think “currents” had died?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    With the morbid threads that pop up here from time to time did any one else briefly think “currents” had died?
    Little Current is long gone. I figure Current had preceded him.

-jk "thanks for forking"!

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've been caught in one before. In just a matter of seconds, I was about 100 yards away from the shore, truly terrifying. I'm a good swimmer, but I was flat out exhausted by the time I made it back to beach. (And yes, I swam parallel to shore, not against the current.)
    I was at folly beach sc around 1982 i dove under the water to swim by the atlantic house .came up swam a bit longer .i had traveled quite a distance
    .i knew i was going fast under the water
    The current was crazy . I finally got out of it .it took me 11 minutes to run back up the beach where we were set up.
    The ocean is a dangerous place.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A story with a good outcome.

Two Marines were swimming off the coast of North Carolina when a friend still on the beach said he couldn’t see them anymore.

It would take several hours before they both returned to shore.

The Marines stationed at Camp Legeune in Jacksonville were swimming a few hours near Cape Lookout Point when they were “swept out to sea” by a powerful rip current, officials with the U.S. Marine Corps 2d Marine Division said in a news release Tuesday.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/marine-ca...205735592.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

More visual examples:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1504042290544664579

Larry
    DevilHorse