Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ISO Travel Advice: A Golf Adventure to Scotland and Ireland

Homeboy graduates from high school next May (yikes!). Wants a senior trip to Scotland, centered on golf, of course (ha!). Mrs. Tripping wants to add Ireland. DBR travel experts: Your best advice for accomplishing this (at a reasonable price) is kindly solicited. TIA (as the kids say)!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Homeboy graduates from high school next May (yikes!). Wants a senior trip to Scotland, centered on golf, of course (ha!). Mrs. Tripping wants to add Ireland. DBR travel experts: Your best advice for accomplishing this (at a reasonable price) is kindly solicited. TIA (as the kids say)!
    Know something about golf and have traveled more than a bit in Europe, although I have not traveled in Scotland. You may wish to talk with a private tour group, such as https://www.golfconciergescotland.com/.

Our last trip to Spain and Portugal, we arranged for a private tour -- which meant people met us at the RR and airports and took care of the logistics. We also had private tour guides in each of six cities for a few hours. Otherwise, we were on our own -- with great hotels. It was terrific -- and it also prevented me from my greatest errors in Europe -- all of them beginning with, "We'll rent a car."

I expect there is something similar in Scotland involving golf and other sightseeing and -- certainly -- in Ireland.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

This may be sacrilege, but if time is at all tight, I would say skip Scotland and stick to Ireland. While Scotland has the Old Course, Ireland is by all accounts a better place to visit - the weather is better, the food is better and the people are nicer. Royal County down, Royal Portrush, Waterville, Ballybunion, Old Head and many others stack right up there (and in my opinion are better than) the Scottish courses (again, understanding that would mean foregoing the Old Course).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I got nothin' but jealousy. Sorry.

Ireland is wonderful to visit. I generally avoid extended guided tour packages but there is a lot of merit to what Sage said for this type of trip. Lots of moving and logistical issues, and lots of club-lugging.

The time I did the Ireland/UK combined thing was before Brexit so no customs issues. Not sure how smoothly that is going presently.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    This may be sacrilege, but if time is at all tight, I would say skip Scotland and stick to Ireland. While Scotland has the Old Course, Ireland is by all accounts a better place to visit - the weather is better, the food is better and the people are nicer. Royal County down, Royal Portrush, Waterville, Ballybunion, Old Head and many others stack right up there (and in my opinion are better than) the Scottish courses (again, understanding that would mean foregoing the Old Course).
    Whoa. A Scotsman lift up his kilt and piss in your Cheerios or something?

COVID still and Issue in Ireland

If it was a rainy day (of which there are a few in Ireland) I was going to suggest trying a horse track. However, ALL horse tracks in Ireland are closed to the public because of COVID till at least the end of 2021. This suggests to me that other types of recreation as well might have prohibition. Please take the time to research up to date restrictions on things on the emerald isle, and not just a list of touristy things. Access may be limited to some things at this time.

Larry
    DevilHorse

If the pubs ain’t open, Ireland ain’t open.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    yeah, I've always found the Scots and Scotland to be a fine bunch...all kinds of great places to visit, too...

Does that pair with haggis?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does that pair with haggis?
    What doesn’t?

I kid. Haggis can be pretty good or really bad, in my experience.

Haggis can be pretty good or really bad, in my experience.
    I've never had the stomach for haggis.

(Yeah, it's an oldie, but still a goodie.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I've never had the stomach for haggis.

(Yeah, it's an oldie, but still a goodie.)
    That joke was offal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That joke was offal.
    Yeah, I'm positively sheepish about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm positively sheepish about it.
    We need to shear this thread of puns. Travel advice only!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

But don't pull the wool over our eyes.

Staying on topic?

That’s pudding too much responsibility on DBR posters!

To be clear, I love Scotland as well (and did the PPS study abroad at Glasgow University during my junior Duke). My comment was "all things being equal." Just because I would choose a chocolate chip cookie doesn't mean I don't also love B&Ws.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

To be clear, I love Scotland as well (and did the PPS study abroad at Glasgow University during my junior Duke). My comment was "all things being equal." Just because I would choose a chocolate chip cookie doesn't mean I don't also love B&Ws.
    I dunno, you might have an army of angry Glaswegians knocking on your door soon!

I don't have a lot of advice as it was a lifetime ago I was there, but I thoroughly enjoyed golfing Scotland. Went to play St Andrews, but they had closed the course due the the British Open (called then) happening in a week. John Daly beat Constantino Rocca in a playoff while we were travelling. Good memories.

I did play a course called Gullane, and it was a great experience. The winds coming across the Firth of Forth will literally move the golf ball. Advice from the Scots I played with...'be positive' when putting. Meaning no dainty putts. Hit it.

Stayed at a B&B in Edinburgh, very nice and very easy to get around. Have fun is all I'm saying. Ireland is on my list (been there, not for Golf).