Jamison Crowder takes one for the team

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Indeed, though he had no more guaranteed money coming, they could have cut him...these NFL contracts are pretty illusory...anyway, good for him...

Hopefully, Crowder has another productive season and builds a strong relationship with the Jets new QB. That will set him up to renegotiate next off season. It has been a blast following him in the NFL.
    Bob Green

I don’t understand what’s in it for Crowder to do this. Why accept a paycut when you already have a contract? Wouldn’t they still have to pay him even if they released him?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I don’t understand what’s in it for Crowder to do this. Why accept a paycut when you already have a contract? Wouldn’t they still have to pay him even if they released him?
    Maybe he likes being on the field?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    His contract was no longer guaranteed. The Jets could simply cut him with no obligations:

Per Rich Cimini of ESPN --
    Crowder was due to make a non-guaranteed $10 million in base pay for 2021, the final year of a three-year, $28.5 million contract.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe he did a careful analysis and concluded that $8 mill or so beat $0.00.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe he did a careful analysis and concluded that $8 mill or so beat $0.00.
    Duke education pays off!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke education pays off!
    Definitely helps Capt. Obvious 😂

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Jameson’s salary would not have been zero in 2021 had the Jets released him. He would have been signed by a better team for about the $8M he will get staying with the second best team in New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Jameson’s salary would not have been zero in 2021 had the Jets released him. He would have been signed by a better team for about the $8M he will get staying with the second best team in New Jersey.
    Maybe a better statement by the previous poster would have been Jamison could have taken $0 or signed for less to stay with the Jets. I think that was the only given.

I don’t know Jamison but if he wanted to stay with the Jets that’s great, I would imagine that if he thought he had a better offer out there he would have taken that.

I can’t imagine a player turning down more money to stay with the Jets given their history, the fact that they will have a new coach, a new QB, and they drafted over him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...21-per-report/

“While the Jets' wide receiving corps has been wanting in years past, they actually have legitimate talent at the position entering this season. New York signed Corey Davis and Keelan Cole in free agency, and drafted Elijah Moore out of Ole Miss -- a slot player who has been turning heads early on. The Jets also return Denzel Mims and Braxton Berrios, two young players they see potential in”

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That is not entirely clear. Many teams have used up much of their salary cap already and high end free agents who come on the market late, like Crowder would be, often don't have as many suitors and as much of a competitive bidding process as they would if they were free agents when the process began in March.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^ we also don't know the terms of Crowder's new deal...more years? more money? Dunno...

Another article on Crowder. This one is a bit more in-depth and has lots of quotes from him.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/jets-c...ract/19727742/

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That is not entirely clear. Many teams have used up much of their salary cap already and high end free agents who come on the market late, like Crowder would be, often don't have as many suitors and as much of a competitive bidding process as they would if they were free agents when the process began in March.
    It’s sort of a jerk move by the Jets to wait this long to ask him to renegotiate. Many teams are out of money for free agents so it forces the player to take a lower pay. Plus the Jets drafted a slot receiver so Jamison is likely to not do as well this year because his snaps will be reduced.