Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speaking of Ross Cockrell's little sister.

Two individual T& F NCAA titles and a team title at Southern Cal.

Talented family.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/06/13...le-in-3-years/

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...ckrell-gittens

Duke women did really well at the NCAA track meet too.
    I noted a 5th in the Heptathlon by Erin Marsh and a Duke Record was set in the Final of the 4x400, where our team finished 7th of 9. Note that particular 4x400 relay race was (I believe) the fastest in the world this year. Cha'mia Rothwell finished 7th in the 100m hurdles.
    These Duke women are all 1st team All Americans. A tremendous achievement!

Other team members achieved All American status.
    Check this article:
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/6/12/tr...pionships.aspx

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Duke women did really well at the NCAA track meet too.
    I noted a 5th in the Heptathlon by Erin Marsh and a Duke Record was set in the Final of the 4x400, where our team finished 7th of 9. Note that particular 4x400 relay race was (I believe) the fastest in the world this year. Cha'mia Rothwell finished 7th in the 100m hurdles.
    These Duke women are all 1st team All Americans. A tremendous achievement!

Other team members achieved All American status.
    Check this article:
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/6/12/tr...pionships.aspx

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Duke women were impressive. Erin Marsh finished 4th in the hep, not 5th. Congratulations to the ACC Champs!

North Carolina A&T deserves a mention here for their terrific performance at the NCAA meet.

On the men's side, they had a 1, 4 finish in the 400 meters and then won the 4X400 relay. The 400 winner was Randolph Ross, the coach's son, who clocked an excellent 43.85 time, and is a strong candidate for the Olympic team. The Aggies finished 3rd overall in the team standings.

For the women, NC A&T finished tied for 4th overall with wins by Cam Sturgis in the 100 and 200.

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    Duke women were impressive. Erin Marsh finished 4th in the hep, not 5th. Congratulations to the ACC Champs!
    Finishing 7th in the NCAA meet is impressive. It takes a team effort, not just one or two individuals. I understand they had some grad transfers which really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Finishing 7th in the NCAA meet is impressive. It takes a team effort, not just one or two individuals. I understand they had some grad transfers which really helped.
    Are you referring to the 4x400 relay team, which finished 7th in school record time, or to the team scores?

The Duke Women's team finished 32nd.

https://dt8v5llb2dwhs.cloudfront.net...021/scores.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    Tough to gauge for me if it isn't Win, Place, or Show
    But 1st Team AA just the same.

Thanks for keeping me honest (so hard to do).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Are you referring to the 4x400 relay team, which finished 7th in school record time, or to the team scores?

My bad... misread the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Tough to gauge for me if it isn't Win, Place, or Show
    But 1st Team AA just the same.

Thanks for keeping me honest (so hard to do).

Larry
    DevilHorse
    While Marsh did finish 4th in heptathlon (with some truly outstanding placements in a couple of the events), the TV coverage as the event finished did actually show her in 5th. If you were watching, you have a good excuse for thinking she got 5th. They showed the results multiple times, and I never notice that they corrected the mistake. She only beat the 5th place finisher by 4 points, which is a super low edge.

Some of the big time track and field meets held at Wallace Wade when I was there:https://www.wralsportsfan.com/only-m...track/14868491

Duke's Al Bueheler and NCCU's great Dr. LeRoy Walker put on epic shows with world class athletes galore...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Some of the big time track and field meets held at Wallace Wade when I was there:https://www.wralsportsfan.com/only-m...track/14868491

Duke's Al Bueheler and NCCU's great Dr. LeRoy Walker put on epic shows with world class athletes galore...
    So true. I remember going with my family to watch a few meets in the 70s, and witnessing world records being broken. In fact, I can say with full confidence that the only track meets I ever watched in person were in Wallace Wade. My favorite events were the jumping/pole vault events and the steeplechase. I also remember going down there as a kid and running through the steeplechase pool.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    While Marsh did finish 4th in heptathlon (with some truly outstanding placements in a couple of the events), the TV coverage as the event finished did actually show her in 5th. If you were watching, you have a good excuse for thinking she got 5th. They showed the results multiple times, and I never notice that they corrected the mistake. She only beat the 5th place finisher by 4 points, which is a super low edge.
    Yes, I was watching.. mostly fast forwarding to see races of interest. I was disappointed on the qualifying rounds when they had the 4x400 qualifier go past the allotted time on the DVR, so I missed it. That's what you get with live events (or really slow races, which this wasn't, but some of the interviews were just too long.. maybe it was because the interviewees couldn't catch their breath. Usual for track meets.).

"You just ran the fastest 10K in NCAA history. What do you have to say?".. "Huh, Huh, Oxygen!!!"

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I think you both may be wrong. According to the link, Duke finished with 9 points and UNC finished with 6 points. Doesn't that mean we finished first!

All joking aside, the most impressive result from the Carolinas belongs to North Carolina A&T. NC A&T finished 3rd in the overall men's competition and tied for 4th in the overall women's competition. That appears to be, by far, the best ever finish for a HBCU.

Anna Cockrell just made the 2021 U.S. Olympic team by finishing third in the 400 meter hurdles.

And, oh, by the way, winner Sydney McLaughlin won that race in a world-record time of 51.90, the first woman under 52.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Anna Cockrell just made the 2021 U.S. Olympic team by finishing third in the 400 meter hurdles.

And, oh, by the way, winner Sydney McLaughlin won that race in a world-record time of 51.90, the first woman under 52.
    McLaughlin and Muhammad (2nd place in the race) are ranked 1/2 in the world going into the Tokyo Olympics, so Cockrell is in fast company.
    McLaughlin is still only 21 years old, so we can hopefully expect much more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    McLaughlin and Muhammad (2nd place in the race) are ranked 1/2 in the world going into the Tokyo Olympics, so Cockrell is in fast company.
    McLaughlin is still only 21 years old, so we can hopefully expect much more to come.
    McLaughlin is seriously the full package. An amazing runner (obviously), brilliant (neurobiology major (I think?) at Harvard), and beautiful to boot (I'm female, hope it's okay that I say that!). She also seems really nice in interviews.

I really enjoyed wathching the T&F trials and am *super* excited for Anna! I was cheering for her big time.
    T '05, SOM '10

Good to see veterans like Allyson Felix make the team. And really exciting to see great young talent coming up. 19-year old Athing Mu won the Women's 800m in an excellent 1:56.07, and 17-year old Erriyon Knighton made the team with a 3rd in the Men's 200m timed at 19.84. Knighton has been besting some of Usain Bolt's age-group records in the sprints.

The U.S. track and field team seems poised to do really well in Tokyo. I'm one of those people who think the Summer Olympics consist of two sports, track and field and everything else. So, I'm stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    McLaughlin is seriously the full package. An amazing runner (obviously), brilliant (neurobiology major (I think?) at Harvard), and beautiful to boot (I'm female, hope it's okay that I say that!). She also seems really nice in interviews.

I really enjoyed wathching the T&F trials and am *super* excited for Anna! I was cheering for her big time.
    Not according to Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_McLaughlin

You may be thinking of Gabby Thomas:

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/...-trials-tokyo/

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Ha, totally! Mixed up two amazingly fast and beautiful women. They're both badasses.