Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ida

Hurricane Ida

Now up to 150 mph. Last night it was 105, that's how fast this monster grew.

If we have any Louisianans on the board, I hope you evacuated and are safe. Katrina landed at 120 mph, this is going to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

If we have any Louisianans on the board, I hope you evacuated and are safe. Katrina landed at 120 mph, this is going to be bad.
    Yeah I saw maximum sustained winds are up to 150 mph. I have visited down to the bayou down there before. Did some work in Houma, Louisiana once. Amazing people. Just real, salt of the earth, genuine type folks. This hurricane looks like it’s going to unleash fury soon. I am hoping it is not as devastating as Katrina.

Hope those new levees hold. If not, yes, this could be very bad.

Our good poster brevity, for one. I fear that, between this & COVID, Louisiana is about to go through sheer hell.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Our good poster brevity, for one. I fear that, between this & COVID, Louisiana is about to go through sheer hell.
    yeah, according to the CDC, only trendsetter Florida leads Louisiana in new infection rate per capita...they don't need this.

Supposed to potentially make trouble in WNC where we just had some fatal floods two weeks ago. Nothing like the impact about to happen on the coast, but worrisome.

Best of luck to those on DBR and those not on DBR.

On the positive side

The wind speed is terrifying, but at least it isn't as big as Katrina, which may limit the damage quite a bit. Or so I hope,

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yeah I saw maximum sustained winds are up to 150 mph. I have visited down to the bayou down there before. Did some work in Houma, Louisiana once. Amazing people. Just real, salt of the earth, genuine type folks. This hurricane looks like it’s going to unleash fury soon. I am hoping it is not as devastating as Katrina.
    As a kid I went to a sleepaway camp of Jewish boys from the northeast and the waterfront director for 40 years was from Houma. His boys are roughly my age and we’re beloved fellow campers. Nicest family you will ever meet - saw him a few years ago after 25 years and we hugged like family. Just saw on the camp Facebook group that they are evacuating to Shreveport as they are right in the line of it.

Hoping for the best for everyone. This does not look good.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As a kid I went to a sleepaway camp of Jewish boys from the northeast and the waterfront director for 40 years was from Houma. His boys are roughly my age and we’re beloved fellow campers. Nicest family you will ever meet - saw him a few years ago after 25 years and we hugged like family. Just saw on the camp Facebook group that they are evacuating to Shreveport as they are right in the line of it.

Hoping for the best for everyone. This does not look good.
    That is great. I really enjoyed my time in Houma and the bayou. I enjoyed Walk-On’s Bistreaux down there. It is a Cajun, bayou style sports bar/restaurant started by a couple of former walk-ons from the men’s basketball team at LSU. They had great food and service. I read Ida is just 7 mph shy of a category 5 hurricane. It is not out of the realm of possibility that Ida strengthens to a category 5 before it hits Louisiana. That would make it just the sixth hurricane in history to strike the U.S. as a category 5.

1928: The San Felipe II Hurricane Hit Puerto Rico (a U.S. territory)

1935: The Labor Day Hurricane Hit the Florida Keys

1969: Hurricane Camille Hit Louisiana and Mississippi

1992: Hurricane Andrew Hit Florida

2018: Hurricane Michael Hit Florida

Hurricane Katrina, considered among the worst storms in U.S. history, did reach Category 5 status in August 2005, but it downgraded to Category 3 by the time it made landfall in Louisiana and Mississippi.

A view of Hurricane Ida from GOES:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=24
    Bob Green

Looks like she came ashore 1 MPH below Cat 5.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Looks like she came ashore 1 MPH below Cat 5.
    Gulp.

God have mercy on these folks in Ida’s path.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hope those new levees hold. If not, yes, this could be very bad.
    The levees are band-aids on gaping chest wounds, using a medical analogy. It is long since past the time to be doing what has been done in (SOME) other flood-prone areas: permanently clearing the entire population from an area that has no business being (or remaining) populated. I have a brother in the Army Corps of Engineers that worked in New Orleans for a while-- he will tell you that there is really no viable way to protect that area from these storms-- and it never even should have been tried in the first place. It's bad enough with New Orleans (with substantial areas being right at or below sea level), but now, after more than ~100 years of oil & gas drilling in Louisiana, long stretches of the (formerly) reasonably solid ground in the coastal bayou areas has been lacerated and made unstable by that drilling-- meaning that large portions of the Louisiana coast line (outside of New Orleans) really should be permanently evacuated, as well.

^ and the patchwork, unsatisfactory work the Army Corps of Engineers did bears responsibility as well. Poor design, poor work...at least they eventually took responsibility, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedgummit View Post
    The levees are band-aids on gaping chest wounds, using a medical analogy. It is long since past the time to be doing what has been done in (SOME) other flood-prone areas: permanently clearing the entire population from an area that has no business being (or remaining) populated. I have a brother in the Army Corps of Engineers that worked in New Orleans for a while-- he will tell you that there is really no viable way to protect that area from these storms-- and it never even should have been tried in the first place. It's bad enough with New Orleans (with substantial areas being right at or below sea level), but now, after more than ~100 years of oil & gas drilling in Louisiana, long stretches of the (formerly) reasonably solid ground in the coastal bayou areas has been lacerated and made unstable by that drilling-- meaning that large portions of the Louisiana coast line (outside of New Orleans) really should be permanently evacuated, as well.
    The Netherlands says, no thank you... Well just reclaim more land from the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    So . . . Louisiana needs more windmills? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ and the patchwork, unsatisfactory work the Army Corps of Engineers did bears responsibility as well. Poor design, poor work...at least they eventually took responsibility, FWIW.
    Much like being assigned to solve the southern border immigration crisis, this was a thankless job that was ALWAYS essentially unsolvable-- All the King's horses and all the King's men could not have made New Orleans safe from these storms. Moreover, the Army Corps has been made (by constant pulling and/or conditioning of its funding for projects) into a spineless, political animal-- an organization that reacts to whatever the latest political figure is demanding-- there is no longer (if there EVER was) any ability to simply do what is right, best, rational, and most scientifically supportable in these projects at the Corps-- they do what they are bidden, by the corrupt political figures that batter them about-- with the loudest and/or most powerful voice winning out.

So, yes, in the same sense that a castle's servant staff was responsible for not keeping the castle's interior grounds free of mud (for a castle built in a marsh) because the castle's lord told them to work on building up the fortifications along the wall, instead of cleaning up the grounds, you could blame the Corps for New Orleans' less than comprehensive bulwark against hurricanes-- but, ultimately, it really wouldn't have mattered if the Corps HAD been able to focus (unfettered, undistracted, and uninterrupted) on that task-- it wasn't a feasible job to start with-- civil engineers will tell you that New Orleans has no business being where it is located.
    Last edited by Dedgummit; 08-29-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Let me know when a Category V Hurricane hits the Netherlands-- for the first time. Meanwhile, with nothing more than some decent rainstorms, a good bit of Belgium, Luxembourg (which join the Netherlands in being part of "the Low Countries" in the Benelux designation), and northwestern Germany got flooded out to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars in damages (and a good number of deaths) only a few weeks ago.

Also, the Netherlands have been building up that system of dikes and levees for hundreds of years now-- and doing it in a rational way, based on centuries of hard experience (unlike the random, frequently changed, politically-driven directives that have been ordering the US Army Corps of Engineers around in Louisiana for the last ~100 years). Your comparison is not apt.

As I understand it, New Orleans is a bit of a bowl. Dumping all that rain in it, even without the wind also pushing Gulf waters in, is a disaster. The levees barely matter in a storm like this, and they don't make enough pumps, big enough, to keep up.

Now windmills in a hurricane, OPK, that's an idea. So long energy crisis.

The protective marshlands around the coast have been ruined from largely man made causes...without that protection, the mainland is in deep doo doo.