Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Per Duke Lacrosse twitter: Mike Adler, Nakeie Montgomery, Joe Robinson, Cameron Mule, etc. are returning among others (I can't make out the signatures and faces of the other guys).
    whoa, Joe Robertson et al? Lots of talent, hopefully it meshes a bit better than this year's team, maybe less standing around watching one guy (Sowers)?

from InsideLacrosse:https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...d-badour/58311

Some terrific returnees and some terrific newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    whoa, Joe Robertson et al? Lots of talent, hopefully it meshes a bit better than this year's team, maybe less standing around watching one guy (Sowers)?
    Definitely agree, and yet it is interesting that just making a FF is a disappointment. Shows you the power of the ESPN hype machine--the way it shaped opinion that this was an unbeatable team and most could see from the get-go that the pieces just didn't fit well. Most observers would've looked at that team and thought that it was a 50/50 shot to get to the FF.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Definitely agree, and yet it is interesting that just making a FF is a disappointment. Shows you the power of the ESPN hype machine--the way it shaped opinion that this was an unbeatable team and most could see from the get-go that the pieces just didn't fit well. Most observers would've looked at that team and thought that it was a 50/50 shot to get to the FF.
    Absolutely. The talent out there these days is phenomenal, so many good teams in the ACC, the Ivies, Big East (or whatever that thing is with Denver)...I hope we see a lot more ball movement. The pieces for a FF run are definitely there, we'll see how it goes...but yeah, being a favorite to get to the FF is a mighty lofty expectation.

Absolutely. The talent out there these days is phenomenal, so many good teams in the ACC, the Ivies, Big East (or whatever that thing is with Denver)...I hope we see a lot more ball movement. The pieces for a FF run are definitely there, we'll see how it goes...but yeah, being a favorite to get to the FF is a mighty lofty expectation.
    Its also hard to be the frontrunner. It seems like Coach D usually starts slow early in the season and then pours it on later, leading up to the ACC and NCAA Tournaments. Last year they started out ranked #1 and struggled to match all the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Its also hard to be the frontrunner. It seems like Coach D usually starts slow early in the season and then pours it on later, leading up to the ACC and NCAA Tournaments. Last year they started out ranked #1 and struggled to match all the hype.
    Very reminiscent of Duke basketball 2018-19. Amazing star power, but it turned out the team had flaws.

Lots of talent
    True, but a couple of big holes. J.T. is gone. We also need to replace two shorties, and one of the two returnees was very much the weak link in last year’s defense.

Just for fun, Keith Boyer’s high school highlight reel.

If after watching this you’re thinking that LSM might be his best position at the D1 level, you and I are on the same page.

https://youtu.be/lKmvCaX-UEQ

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Just for fun, Keith Boyer’s high school highlight reel.

If after watching this you’re thinking that LSM might be his best position at the D1 level, you and I are on the same page.

https://youtu.be/lKmvCaX-UEQ
    Mikey likes it!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The first piece of 2022 schedule intel has dropped.

Duke vs. Towson on 3/19, location TBA.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...mpany-it/58358

I'd love to see a trip north of the Mason Dixon line, maybe an Ivy? Unlikely...(Syracuse doesn't count, that's like going to Manitoba)

Towson was theoretically scheduled to play in Durham. Since we don't have a natural trip to Long Island (Hofstra isn't happening), we might move that game as a showcase to a local high school. We w ill find out in December. That weekend was normally when played Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Towson was theoretically scheduled to play in Durham. Since we don't have a natural trip to Long Island (Hofstra isn't happening), we might move that game as a showcase to a local high school. We w ill find out in December. That weekend was normally when played Syracuse.
    If the ACC goes back to the traditional single round robin, I would expect we would play at Cuse 3/24-27, at UNC 3/31-4/3, home to ND 4/7-10, and home to UVA 4/14-17. Some of those games will likely be moved to Thursday night for ESPN to showcase.

Don’t rule out the possibility of the Towson game happening in Charlotte, Dallas, or Costa Mesa. That’s traditionally the weekend of the OC Classic.

I'd love to see a trip north of the Mason Dixon line, maybe an Ivy? Unlikely...(Syracuse doesn't count, that's like going to Manitoba)
    Duke hasn’t played a regular-season game against an Ivy other than Penn since 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke hasn’t played a regular-season game against an Ivy other than Penn since 2016.
    Penn is an Ivy, and it is north of the Mason-Dixon line, so if Duke plays at Penn, Budwom's request would be fulfilled - not sure what "other than Penn" gets you.

And if the 0.00001% chance of Duke playing at Dartmouth actually happens, Budwom hosts the tailgate!

Given the continued cases of Covid, I think that minimizing travel will still be a factor in scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Penn is an Ivy, and it is north of the Mason-Dixon line, so if Duke plays at Penn, Budwom's request would be fulfilled - not sure what "other than Penn" gets you.

And if the 0.00001% chance of Duke playing at Dartmouth actually happens, Budwom hosts the tailgate!

Given the continued cases of Covid, I think that minimizing travel will still be a factor in scheduling.
    One can always hope! I know we've played BU in the past (yes, we're unlikely to go there) but ya never know when Danowski might decide to schedule some other strong northern team, like Yale perhaps. I love watching lax in person, but it's been too long since I've been down to Durham...

I'm hoping that this year's team reverts to the Coach D norm of improving greatly as the season wears on...he never got things to really click optimally (despite the FF run)...looking forward to this season!

We were at Dartmouth this past June for their graduation. My SO's grandson graduated, but only his parents actually went to the ceremony. We had to live stream it in our hotel room. We got the better end of the bargain - it was sunny and very hot that day and the graduation speaker went on foreeeeeeeeever. We had cold drinks and a potty at hand, his parents sat on hard chairs sweating their ... off, and the bathrooms had long lines. Did I mention it was hot, north carolina August hot, in Hanover that day.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I would make the trip from Austin for that! I can bring a couple of cases of Shiner Bock.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 08-24-2021 at 08:45 PM.

I love watching lax in person, but it's been too long since I've been down to Durham...
    Between UVM and Middlebury, you’ve got plenty of high-quality lax practically in your back yard. If you don’t mind driving a bit farther, St. Lawrence and Clarkson provide plenty of opportunities to see D3 powers like RIT, Union, and Ithaca.

The coaching carousel creaks on. Robert Morris head coach Sean McMinn moves to Utah.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...e2a94-56288745