Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Is VPI in a position to add men’s lacrosse to their Athletic Department? They seem to have a interest in building a successful women’s program ( like BC). Speaking of BC, it has always puzzled me that the Eagles do not have a D-1 men’s program. Is Title IX the primary hurdle for both schools?
    Title IX and budget constraints. But I wouldn’t be shocked to see more added in coming years. It’s a fast growing sport that tends to attract middle and upper class players. Just need a few rich alums to pay for the team.

Per IL, J.P. Basile has chosen to spend his final year of eligibility at Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    ICYMI, Gary Gait has brought in Dave Pietramala as defensive coordinator. Wonder if they’ll go at it in the master’s division at the Lake Placid tournament.

ETA: don’t buy the hype about Petro being the best defenseman ever. I’m old enough to have see Bruce Arena play, and he was better.
    Timeout…I post rarely here these days. Arena was a 2nd team AA at Cornell as a senior…but as a midfielder per the USILA

I’m old enough to remember Mike Farrell at Maryland, Marc Greenberg at Hopkins and Willy Hazelhurst at UVA as the dominant long poles of the 1970s. Petro was a great defenseman but I’m not sure even long time Hopkins fans rank him above Greenberg or DeTomasso.

A total of eight incoming Duke freshmen—I believe that’s the most ever—have been selected to play in this summer’s Under Armour All-America games.

On the men’s side, consensus number one recruit Andrew McAdorey from St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) leads the group, which also includes fellow midfielder Jackson Gray from Culver Academy (Ind.) and defensemen Keith Boyer of Yorktown (N.Y.) and Jake Wilson of Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.).

On the women’s side, the group includes midfielders Kerry Nease from Douglas Freeman (Va.) and Mattie Shearer of Western Albemarle (Va.), defender Reilly Trainor of Red Bank Catholic (N.J.), and goaltender Kennedy Everson of Phillips Academy Andover (Mass.).

The games are scheduled for July 31 at Hop’s Homewood Field, and will be shown on some ESPN network or other.

A total of eight incoming Duke freshmen—I believe that’s the most ever—have been selected to play in this summer’s Under Armour All-America games.
    It sounds like an awesome recruiting class for Duke! The Inside Lacrosse Class of 2021 Rankings (Men's Top 100) lists Duke Recruits at spots 1, 2, 10, 17, 29 and 59. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/5

Looks like the acc will continue to dominate. unc has a massive (and highly rated) class coming in. According to Inside Lacrosse, they have the number 1 class, Notre Dame is 2, Duke is 5, UVA is 8 and Syracuse is 14. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/college/league/Men's+Division+I/1

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Looks like the acc will continue to dominate. unc has a massive (and highly rated) class coming in. According to Inside Lacrosse, they have the number 1 class, Notre Dame is 2, Duke is 5, UVA is 8 and Syracuse is 14. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/college/league/Men's+Division+I/1
    I know it's quibbling, but the way they rate classes isn't entirely logical...it's basically how many five and four stars you have (etc), but no extra points for having the highest ranked five star vs the lowest...Duke has the second most five stars, and the top two guys in the class...I'd think that merits second place...

It’s always interesting to re-rank recruiting classes after their sophomore seasons.

There’s an article about the men’s lax team in the new alumni magazine. It says that Adler sat out his freshman year due to the well-discussed shark bite so has another year of eligibility and he hopes to stay another year.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    There’s an article about the men’s lax team in the new alumni magazine. It says that Adler sat out his freshman year due to the well-discussed shark bite so has another year of eligibility and he hopes to stay another year.
    whoa, that would really be good news...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That would be outstanding!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke incoming freshman Andrew McAdorey has been named national high school player of the year by USA Lacrosse Magazine.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-...er-of-the-year

Duke incoming freshman Andrew McAdorey has been named national high school player of the year by USA Lacrosse Magazine.
    McAdorey is described as "not a stats-driven kid" and "his impact is felt all over the field"... this sounds like a good fit for Duke considering the lack of team-oriented play this past year.

Chronicle Sports

Former Ohio State midfielder Grant Mitchell will transfer to
    @DukeMLAX, per @tyxanders

Mitchell was Inside Lacrosse’s No. 12 Class of 2019 recruit and posted 21 points in 18 career games for the Buckeyes.
    10:58 AM · Jul 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Interesting read from IL on players’ reactions to the initial national team training camp for the new “sixes” game (analogous to sevens rugby).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...ini-camp/58210

Read elsewhere that men’s and women’s team members swapped sticks for a co-ed scrimmage, with predictable comments from the men about the difficulty of controlling the ball without a pocket. I struggle to even pass and catch with a women’s stick; watching the likes of Charlotte north sting corners at >80 mph from the top of the arc truly blows my mind.

Change to shot clock reset rule approved for 2022. In most situations where the offense retains possession in the offensive half with less than 60 on the shot clock, the reset will be to 60 rather than 80.

I like it. I think it makes sense. Hopefully existing shot-clock systems can be modified rather than replaced; that would be a significant expense for D3 schools.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...approves/58225

ICYMI, the big news of the day is that Nakeie is playing football this fall.

ICYMI, the big news of the day is that Nakeie is playing football this fall.
    Doesn't he still have another year of lacrosse eligibility due to covid? In any event, hope he stays healthy

Brian Holman steps down as Utah head coach.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...ad-coach/58288

This is an attractive position: nice place, plenty of institutional support and resources, and the Utes are moving into a conference with an AQ where they will be competitive.

Lacrosse

Per Duke Lacrosse twitter: Mike Adler, Nakeie Montgomery, Joe Robinson, Cameron Mule, etc. are returning among others (I can't make out the signatures and faces of the other guys).
    Last edited by devilirium; 08-10-2021 at 02:25 PM.