Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wojo’s future

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I can't see Kidd taking a college assistant job. He MIGHT be interested in a college head coach job (though since I don't think he has a degree, that might not be an option in many places), but I'd imagine it would be more to his liking to be an NBA assistant. Those guys are WAY higher on the NBA head coach pecking order than a college assistant, even one as well known as Kidd. I'd give as close to zero percent chance of Kidd taking ANY college job, let alone an assistant job.

And I'm not sure he would necessarily provide the type of experience a rookie head coach would need in college. He coached briefly in the NBA and never in college, so he's not going to be even as familiar with college in-game situations as Scheyer is. He isn't a real Xs and Os head coach. And he doesn't have day-to-day program-running experience to help out there. And he hasn't been NBA relevant for years now, and while he was a big NBA star for most of his career, he wasn't the type of transcendent, iconic player whose rep is likely to carry on well past his playing days like Jordan or LeBron or Kobe. So it's unclear if he'd add much on the recruiting trail either.

All that said, I agree that the hire will likely be in-house. My guess is Carrawell gets promoted and they add someone with Duke ties on Nolan Smith's level of the coaching tree.
    Is Bucky Waters available?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    If we're interested in a not-currently-working former Head Coach from outside the program, Skinner was a guy that I think Coach K liked and respected a lot. Yeah, he's 69 but Martelli was 64 when he took the Michigan assistant job so he's not that much older. But I would wonder about an older guy from outside and his fit with the Duke basketball culture. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue, I don't know.

If we're OK with an outside guy, and want to make a splash with a guy with major NBA cred, what about Jason Kidd? He wouldn't stay long as he wants back in an NBA top spot, but maybe he'd be interested in a high profile gig at Duke for a few years? If Kidd were to come, adding to Scheyer, C-Well and Nolan, I'd think our recruiting would be in pretty, pretty, pretty good shape . . .

But like a few others, I have a feeling we're not going outside the family in any event.
    No thanks to Jason Kidd. He does not pass the character test.

This current staff is young and vibrant.

If your candidate is over 50 we shouldn't even be talking about them to be honest.

Now we have a staff with the vibe of Shaka Smart but the brains of Coach K and Brad Stevens.

If they bring in anyone I hope its Zoubek, Kyle, Paulus, Quinn Cook, Jabari Parker or my personal favorite - Lance Thomas.

After I typed Cook I realized he might actually be a shoe in for the job. Recruiting would go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This current staff is young and vibrant.

If your candidate is over 50 we shouldn't even be talking about them to be honest.

Now we have a staff with the vibe of Shaka Smart but the brains of Coach K and Brad Stevens.

If they bring in anyone I hope its Zoubek, Kyle, Paulus, Quinn Cook, Jabari Parker or my personal favorite - Lance Thomas.

After I typed Cook I realized he might actually be a shoe in for the job. Recruiting would go crazy.
    Cook, Parker, and Thomas almost certainly still have years of making money in the NBA left for them. Seems unlikely they'd be jumping to take a junior assistant job in college at this stage. But I agree, that if Cook ever decides to get into coaching, he'll be a fantastic recruiter. Paulus is currently a head coach, so not sure that he wants to go back to being an assistant yet.

I think Amile would be incredible as a third assistant but he is only 28 with more playing years ahead of him - very bright and charismatic.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Capel returned to Duke as an assistant after years as Head Coach.
    Capel returned to the guy he played for, who also happened to be the GOAT.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You've come up with a list where Seth Greenberg is the least unattractive option.
    I wouldn’t have thought that humanly possible.....
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Cook, Parker, and Thomas almost certainly still have years of making money in the NBA left for them. Seems unlikely they'd be jumping to take a junior assistant job in college at this stage. But I agree, that if Cook ever decides to get into coaching, he'll be a fantastic recruiter. Paulus is currently a head coach, so not sure that he wants to go back to being an assistant yet.
    I PRAY Quinn gets another few rounds but the NBA is fickle and he's always been last man out. When the Cavs are your last squad - it's a bad sign.

Could he go overseas? FOR SURE.

He's a success story in literally almost every kind of way.

BUT, making a few hundreds as a Duke assistant aint quite so bad...

It would be still kind of a dream scenario for him - on the bench with Nolan. That's crazy.

Put me on the Cook for Asst. train.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Dino Gaudio is available
    Clemson wears orange.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I PRAY Quinn gets another few rounds but the NBA is fickle and he's always been last man out. When the Cavs are your last squad - it's a bad sign.

Could he go overseas? FOR SURE.

He's a success story in literally almost every kind of way.

BUT, making a few hundreds as a Duke assistant aint quite so bad...

It would be still kind of a dream scenario for him - on the bench with Nolan. That's crazy.

Put me on the Cook for Asst. train.
    We know that Quinn is good enough to play in the NBA, but rosters are tight and as you say the NBA is fickle. But I would imagine he would thrive somewhere overseas. If he can find a situation where he’s starting and earning good money, why not give it a shot? A spot on someone’s bench will be available if he decides to turn to coaching down the road.

I suppose the main question would be whether he has any interest in living overseas as an athlete in his prime with cash to spend.
    Carolina delenda est

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A coach who left an ACC school on somewhat decent terms would be perfect. Herb Sendek is actually doing reasonably well at Santa Clara so likely isn't leaving there to be an assistant. I'll pass on Sidney Lowe, though he does have NBA experience. Larry Shyatt (a fellow Jew) would be great as he was most recently in the NBA, but he is 70. Pete Gillen is over 70. Al Skinner is about to turn 69. Assuming Cremins isn't coming back and hard pass on Seth Greenberg! Former Duke assistant Tim O'Toole was a head coach at a lower level for a while, but he is currently working for Capel.
    Coach P is available.

(Taking in everything that happened here, I'd still put her ahead of Uncle Fester on the list.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Coach P is available.

(Taking in everything that happened here, I'd still put her ahead of Uncle Fester on the list.)
    DUKE basketball alum… Head Coaching experience… Lefty Driesell<ducks for cover>

The other thing to consider is that, unlike Howard and Ewing, Scheyer’s assistant experience is in college AND at the school he will be head coach. And he has been working with an older coach who has no doubt delegated more and more responsibility to his lead assistants in recent years. So he may not have quite as much need for an assistant with college head coaching experience.

I mean, I think it would still be valuable, but probably not as critical as it was for Howard.
    I agree with this. It’s a bit risky bringing a senior coach into the mix, especially one outside the Duke family who may have very different ideas on how to handle things. I wouldn’t be unhappy to see a Coach Battier or Coach Cook on the bench next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I agree with this. It’s a bit risky bringing a senior coach into the mix, especially one outside the Duke family who may have very different ideas on how to handle things. I wouldn’t be unhappy to see a Coach Battier or Coach Cook on the bench next season.
    Either of those two would be great choices and someone mentioned Kyle, he would bring a toughness culture that I think Duke needs.

GoDuke!

It feels like the program is in a situation that as long as the K-created culture and influence permeates, they won't look outside the K tree, and I agree that the youth movement is fully in swing so bringing in an older dude feels like a bad fit. Besides, something tells me the current older dude, while he will allow Scheyer to run the program, will be quite available.

So we look to the recent young players closer to the end of their playing days than the start...

Quinn Cook is a great idea. He'll be near 30 when K steps away, the NBA does not seem to be banging down his door, etc. These guys, if they are healthy, do seem to want to scratch that playing itch as long as it itches so the timing may not be right. As you guys have said, Amile feels like he is also in this category.

Tyler Thornton is up at Howard with Kenny Blakeney. He could be poached the way K poached C-Well from Wojo. He crossed with Nolan for one year as a player and C-Well as an assistant. It is tough to know what the relationship was.

Will Avery spent a lot of time around the program recently as he was earning his degree. Maybe he built up enough goodwill and showed the staff something during that time?

David McClure is already in the NBA coaching ranks, part of the Memphis Grizzlies Duke posse. It does seem like the pros would probably want to stay with the NBA, but he crossed over with Jon and Nolan as teammates.

Paulus is already a head coach, and I also don't know how he vibes with the existing staff. He doesn't seem cool enough, and, from the outside, he doesn't feel like he's inner circle Brotherhood. He seems like the 3rd cousin whose 4-year regression deems him "factory defect" status. I'm not saying that is fair, but that's how it feels.

I don't know the kid at all, but Kyle Singler seems to me to be the least likely basketball coach of those suggested. He was a great player, but I think the kid's passion is art. As for Shane, I think the front office is where he belongs as I don't sense him connecting with 16-22 year olds. He belongs in the C-Suite with the bean counters and excel nerds. As for Zoubs, it seems like his burgeoning Philly-based residential/mixed real estate development career is keeping him very happy. G-Hendo is very close with these guys but has a budding NBA broadcasting career with the Hornets and banked $40MM, so I don't see that being an option. As long as the job would allow him to attend Burning Man every September, maybe Miles Plumlee would want to come back? If Lance comes back, would he be forced to talk to the NCAA about his bling purchases back in 2010?

One final thought...J Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Paulus is already a head coach, and I also don't know how he vibes with the existing staff. He doesn't seem cool enough, and, from the outside, he doesn't feel like he's inner circle Brotherhood. He seems like the 3rd cousin whose 4-year regression deems him "factory defect" status. I'm not saying that is fair, but that's how it feels.
    Here's a link on Greg Paulus and his accomplishments so far at Niagara. I agree he is not likely to return to Duke as an assistant, but he seems destined for a "high-major" coaching position.

I never heard there were any "personal issues" involving Paulus, and while his basketball career appeared to founder, Syracuse was willing to make him a starting QB.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It feels like the program is in a situation that as long as the K-created culture and influence permeates, they won't look outside the K tree, and I agree that the youth movement is fully in swing so bringing in an older dude feels like a bad fit. Besides, something tells me the current older dude, while he will allow Scheyer to run the program, will be quite available.

So we look to the recent young players closer to the end of their playing days than the start...

Quinn Cook is a great idea. He'll be near 30 when K steps away, the NBA does not seem to be banging down his door, etc. These guys, if they are healthy, do seem to want to scratch that playing itch as long as it itches so the timing may not be right. As you guys have said, Amile feels like he is also in this category.

Tyler Thornton is up at Howard with Kenny Blakeney. He could be poached the way K poached C-Well from Wojo. He crossed with Nolan for one year as a player and C-Well as an assistant. It is tough to know what the relationship was.

Will Avery spent a lot of time around the program recently as he was earning his degree. Maybe he built up enough goodwill and showed the staff something during that time?

David McClure is already in the NBA coaching ranks, part of the Memphis Grizzlies Duke posse. It does seem like the pros would probably want to stay with the NBA, but he crossed over with Jon and Nolan as teammates.

I don't know the kid at all, but Kyle Singler seems to me to be the least likely basketball coach of those suggested. He was a great player, but I think the kid's passion is art. As for Shane, I think the front office is where he belongs as I don't sense him connecting with 16-22 year olds. He belongs in the C-Suite with the bean counters and excel nerds. As for Zoubs, it seems like his burgeoning Philly-based residential/mixed real estate development career is keeping him very happy. G-Hendo is very close with these guys but has a budding NBA broadcasting career with the Hornets and banked $40MM, so I don't see that being an option. As long as the job would allow him to attend Burning Man every September, maybe Miles Plumlee would want to come back? If Lance comes back, would he be forced to talk to the NCAA about his bling purchases back in 2010?

One final thought...J Rob?
    I agree with this and would add Amile Jefferson to this list. He was mentioned upthread. He would make a fabulous coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a link on Greg Paulus and his accomplishments so far at Niagara. I agree he is not likely to return to Duke as an assistant, but he seems destined for a "high-major" coaching position.

I never heard there were any "personal issues" involving Paulus, and while his basketball career appeared to founder, Syracuse was willing to make him a starting QB.
    I recall hearing that before becoming Assistant Coach at Ohio State, Paulus lobbied for a Duke Assistant position but for whatever reason Coach K did not bite. I got the impression that Paulus did not meet the standards.

How did Wojo do as a recruiter at Duke? I don't know and am not trying to make an argument by asking the question.

All of K's assistants have seemed kind of robotic on the bench. Wojo, more than most.

I don't know any details but his loss of the Hauser brothers at Marquette was significant.

If Wojo can recruit, he has a future in college basketball. If not, he will struggle to find another good job.

Scheyer has proved, as an assistant, that he can recruit. He was the lead recruiter for many of the recent, high level recruits. I don't know whether Wojo had comparable success.

Loved Wojo as a player. Wish him the best.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    All of K's assistants have seemed kind of robotic on the bench. Wojo, more than most.
    Wondering what you expect them to do? An assistant's job isn't about game day, it's about getting to game day. The rare exception is if K is unavailable. (I think only Capel and Scheyer have filled that role. Wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.)

And per your recruiting question, as far as I know, all of them have been stellar. Wojo, Capel, James, and Scheyer (plus Collins and Dawkins) were instrumental in Duke having the classes that we've become accustomed to. They toss the line out, K lands the catch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."