Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wojo’s future

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The rare exception is if K is unavailable. (I think only Capel and Scheyer have filled that role. Wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.)
    Pete Gaudet? How quickly you forget (although 25 years isn't really quickly ).

Wondering what you expect them to do? An assistant's job isn't about game day, it's about getting to game day. The rare exception is if K is unavailable. (I think only Capel and Scheyer have filled that role. Wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.)

And per your recruiting question, as far as I know, all of them have been stellar. Wojo, Capel, James, and Scheyer (plus Collins and Dawkins) were instrumental in Duke having the classes that we've become accustomed to. They toss the line out, K lands the catch.
    Good question, I'm not necessarily expecting them to do anything different on the bench.

I don't have any knowledge of how they deal with young recruits and players behind the scenes. It's obvious, at least to me, that Scheyer relates to these young, primarily Black athletes. Scheyer's pod cast a few years ago with Justice Winslow was great. Winslow talked about his struggles at Duke and how he would go over to Scheyer's house often to play video games and talk. Scheyer was able to build a lasting relationship with a talented, young player from a different background that seemed to make a difference.

I'm not aware of Wojo being the lead recruiter on any big time recruits. He probably was but I don't have the data.

I'm just saying that he may be perceived as a bit lifeless from the Duke bench. I'm wondering whether he has the chops to be a great recruiter. Could be, I'm just throwing out the question.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Pete Gaudet? How quickly you forget (although 25 years isn't really quickly ).
    Who? (Actually, was a big fan of Pete's growing up, especially that year, even though it didn't work out.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Who? (Actually, was a big fan of Pete's growing up, especially that year, even though it didn't work out.)
    Yeah, I've always felt bad for him. Such an important part of the program, and it ended poorly for him. I think he'd be a great subject for a Sumner article.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, I've always felt bad for him. Such an important part of the program, and it ended poorly for him. I think he'd be a great subject for a Sumner article.
    His coaching class was one of the best classes I took at Duke. Incredibly nice man, and extremely knowledgeable about basketball and coaching in general.

How about a "bigs" coach? How about the guy that wore #32? I think he was trying to get into coaching. Talk about bringing some toughness.... But some younger players may not want to be coached that way

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    All that said, I agree that the hire will likely be in-house. My guess is Carrawell gets promoted and they add someone with Duke ties on Nolan Smith's level of the coaching tree.

Quinn Cook, please.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Quinn Cook, please.
    I would love for Cook to join the Duke staff at some point. I am just doubtful that "at some point" will be next summer.